Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad news for PSP  (Read 5140 times)

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Bad news for PSP
« on: August 11, 2006, 05:43:42 pm »
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=144421

Electronic Arts has announced that it's switching its handheld gaming focus from Sony's PSP to Nintendo's DS.

Ex-EA Europe head honcho David Gardner - who now revels in the title executive VP and COO, worldwide studios at EA - told MCV: "I don't think Sony can afford to sit back. I think they still have things they can do with the price and performance of the machine - things that they need to address.

"There's no doubt that EA has historically bet more on PSP. I think we were excited by the technology, but the consumers have proven that actually what they want is fun. We must never forget that what we need to focus on is fun and so EA is putting more effort behind DS games - and creative ones that really take advantage of the hardware."

It's not often that EA admits it got something wrong, so let's give the company a big round of applause. While we look forward to all those innovative, stylus-operated DS games it's now going to treat us to.

A big name 3rd party developer jumping ship? hmm.

Ben

Re: Bad news for PSP
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:48:07 pm »
Scerewwwwwwwwwwwwed.
PSP really hasn't been faring well against the DS, and this is real proof.
But it won't sway the fanboys. "EA SUCKS ANYWAY".
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion

Pyru

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:53:57 pm »
Lack of EA support is blamed what was blamed for the N64's downfall, and the lack of sales towards the end of the Gamecube's life-cycle. This could very well be fatal to the PSP.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 06:13:07 pm »
  • 7.18.1.3.5 <3
Ouch for the PSP, but i don't think many people actually has EA games on DS... At least not that i know of...
SSBB FC: 4639-8685-4595
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 06:36:50 pm »
  • n___n
The Sims and Madden games on the DS are made by EA.

But, this is interesting news.
yo yo yo

araknid_kid@yahoo.com = email and MSN
HellsExecutionR = AIM
araknidude = XBox Live gamertag
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:12:09 pm »
Was EA even making any good psp games anyway?

tippz

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 09:25:17 pm »
Lack of EA support is blamed what was blamed for the N64's downfall...
Actaully I believe the N64 did pretty good all through its run. The GameCube...not so much.

As for PSP's downfall, I think it was actually the UMDs that helped put the PSP out there. I think lack of EA's support is a slight tap on the back of the hand. EA's not that big of a deal. Let's see, EA has made how many good games?...There's The Sims, and...The Sims, and...

But the PS beat the N64 in sales. Nintendo reigned supreme before that. They even came back from behind with the SNES to beat Genesis, but N64 was still the 'downfall'

Doesn't matter if hardcore games deem EA games good. The fact is EA is the biggest video game publisher (in terms of sales) on the planet and their support is worth something.

As to an earlier comment about people not having EA games for the DS... all I can say is DUR! EA was mostly supporting the PSP...
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 10:52:23 pm »
Heres to Sony:

OWNED!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 10:55:36 pm »
I've been thinking about this for awhile, the PSP is suppose to be a Playstation Portable, like a PS2 on the go. If Sony made the games a 5 inch disk so you could play your PS2 games on your PSP (like a true PS on the go) and play DVDs on your PSP rather than UMDs, without a doubt I think they woulda won. Am I the only one who thinks that would be great?

That would be one huge portatble I have to say.
"May the innovation be with you."

www.guffa.smf4free.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 11:04:57 pm »
  • w00t
Perhaps it wouldn't be small enough to fit into your pocket anymore, but it would still be portable. 
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame

tippz

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 11:16:14 pm »
But the PS beat the N64 in sales. Nintendo reigned supreme before that. They even came back from behind with the SNES to beat Genesis, but N64 was still the 'downfall'
I'm not saying that the N64 won that generation of console wars, it sure held its own though.

Right, but going from sales leader to getting beaten by a newcomer is a huge blow.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 11:19:26 pm »
Heres to Sony:

OWNED!

Not really, there are only like 3 new games coming out for the psp from EA, a football game, a basketball game, and a superman game. The superman game would of been cool, but the madden and basketball games are always the same with some new menu';s, and new people. EA isn't that big of a loss for sony.

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 11:55:30 pm »
Well game-wise, I'm sure people won't miss EA that much, but Fissure, I think it's the idea that one of the biggest companies is having problems developing for the system (may it be creative or techincal) and that's never a good sign.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 12:23:00 am »
  • Your expression has changed too
I'm actually not so sure this will affect the PSP too much, as they'll probably still release Madden on the PSP, which is pretty much the only EA game other than the Sims that sells.
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 12:30:36 am »
Well game-wise, I'm sure people won't miss EA that much, but Fissure, I think it's the idea that one of the biggest companies is having problems developing for the system (may it be creative or techincal) and that's never a good sign.

By looks of it they did seem to have problems developing for it on the fun thing they were talking about. EA seems to think Sony isn't concentrating on fun like Nintendo is. Not sure how true that is, or is not.

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 02:07:30 am »
  • You don't know me.
Hmm... Well, all I have to say is that it won't matter much if EA decides to do a PSP version of Spore. Other than that: Does this prove what Nintendo was talking about?

No one located in this area of the internet remembers me.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 02:19:51 am »
Was EA even making any good psp games anyway?

Burnout Legends. Otherwise: not really.

I'm not saddened by the loss of EA, but it will hurt the PSP. I just hope it holds on until they start releasing PS1 downloads for it.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 02:53:45 am »
*whistles*  Wow, didn't see that coming.  Maybe Ubisoft but not EA. O.o

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 05:34:43 am »
I've been thinking about this for awhile, the PSP is suppose to be a Playstation Portable, like a PS2 on the go. If Sony made the games a 5 inch disk so you could play your PS2 games on your PSP (like a true PS on the go) and play DVDs on your PSP rather than UMDs, without a doubt I think they woulda won. Am I the only one who thinks that would be great?

That sounds like what would happen if Sega Gamegear had a child with the Atari Lynx.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 07:07:45 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Scerewwwwwwwwwwwwed.
PSP really hasn't been faring well against the DS, and this is real proof.
But it won't sway the fanboys. "EA SUCKS ANYWAY".

For me EA does suck, I hate sports games and the little games they make that arent sports, suck.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 74 queries.

anything