Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wii rumour: voice recognition  (Read 1854 times)

Pyru

Wii rumour: voice recognition
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:06:55 pm »
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/15/wii-rumor-du-jour-voice-recognition/

So, yeah. Interesting idea, but... I dunno. I've had too much trouble with voice recognition in the past to get excited about it...

If it is true, then I'll give it a go, but I'm sceptical to say the least.

Pedlya

Pederp
Re: Wii rumour: voice recognition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:10:09 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~

What word is that?
Anyway it would be interesting to have voice on the wii.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!

Pyru

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 11:21:14 pm »
What word is that?
He's not fully trusting the rumor.

Maybe he was questioning the spelling? But, that is the correct English way to spell the word. I've heard that the American variant uses a k, which is illogical.

Anyway, a microphone does seem to be the way Nintendo is headed - with the microphone on the DS - but full-blown voice recognition may be a step too far for a home console.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 11:22:28 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
No I wasnt being a smartass, I really wanted to know what word that was :o
Damn illogical english >:/
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!

Pyru

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 11:24:06 pm »
No I wasnt being a smartass, I really wanted to know what word that was :o
Damn illogical english >:/

You could get out a dictionary, or www.dictionary.com works too.

tippz

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:43:14 am »
Maybe he was questioning the spelling? But, that is the correct English way to spell the word. I've heard that the American variant uses a k, which is illogical.

Actually if you think about it, the letter "C" is illogical as it just makes sounds made by other letters, but hey who really gives a !@#$%?

Anyway, voce recognition has never gone well in the past and I would be suprised if this worked with any sort of regular accuracy. It will be interesting to see. Really though, if the console is going to launch at as low a price as we are all hoping features like this will be the first to get cut in order to save money... Maybe it will be added later? We'll see...

Hikij

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 01:28:12 am »
The Wii does have a mic, so this is possible.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 01:43:35 am »
  • =/
You guys forget, Nintendo builds everything to the MAX. They wouldn't install something that dosen't work very well, now would they?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 03:12:10 am »
  • Huzzowee!
It's not far-fetched seeing as the technology has existed for a while, but I don't forsee many games using it. Voice regonition just seems foolish when people see you jumping around yelling at your TV when it's that much easier to jump around and push buttons at your TV. That and it would be a bad idea to try yelling at night when irritable people who control what food you get to eat don't want to be awoken.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 03:15:32 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
The Wii does have a mic, so this is possible.

No it doesnt, you are fat.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:59 am »
  • 笑い男
lol, no ones knows if the wii has a ic, its not been shown off it it does yet though. but nintendo did say they have more secrets, which i havent seen any of yet (they said this on one of the e3 days).
but a mic and voice recognition isnt the same :S

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Ben

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 10:53:28 am »
If they have a mic then they could well be working on proprietory voice recognition software. Thery did it with the DS, why not the Wii? It doesn't have to be built into the console, but could be given to developers. Although they could include a base version of it, with the opera browser ;).
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 01:20:35 am »
  • Its the joeshmo!
A wii Mic would be awsome...Counter Strike anyone? Voice chat in games would be an unecessary waste of bandwith for anything else that Time critical games I think. But still, this would be cool. Why would they convert it to text though? I think just having the pure mic with voice would be a more effecient and faster use of processor power than actually converting it. Not sure with this is called voice recognition. Shouldnt it be voice conversion? And I also doubt nintendo would do this judging on what happened to the DS. They are way over protective, you can't even chat with other players on Metroid Prime with text or voice or anything unless they are your friends. No good old online system(list games and have users join rather than having to "search for players" for 5 minutes just to play one game. The only customisable thing is your name pretty much. So I kinda doubt this if they make the WII as protectiive as the DS.
  • Netterra Virtual Pets
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 01:55:25 pm »
  • =/
A wii Mic would be awsome...Counter Strike anyone? Voice chat in games would be an unecessary waste of bandwith for anything else that Time critical games I think. But still, this would be cool. Why would they convert it to text though? I think just having the pure mic with voice would be a more effecient and faster use of processor power than actually converting it. Not sure with this is called voice recognition. Shouldnt it be voice conversion? And I also doubt nintendo would do this judging on what happened to the DS. They are way over protective, you can't even chat with other players on Metroid Prime with text or voice or anything unless they are your friends. No good old online system(list games and have users join rather than having to "search for players" for 5 minutes just to play one game. The only customisable thing is your name pretty much. So I kinda doubt this if they make the WII as protectiive as the DS.
The Wii is different though. It will have a lock system so you can only play mature and teen games if you go into parental controls. All online games from T-M should have voice chat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 62 queries.

anything