Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pok??mon Game :]  (Read 5573 times)

Pok??mon Game :]
« on: November 08, 2006, 05:15:14 am »
  • You're the yellow bird that I've been waiting for.

Vinny's Untitled Pokemon Game

This is just a small project I'm working on to keep me busy while I hunt down a spriter for Traumwelt.

Story
Ummm.... none yet...

Features
Day/Night System 0%
Unique Strategy-Esque Battle System 70%
Pok??mon/NPC Relationship System 0%
Tile based Pok??mon Styled Movement 100%
Pok??mon Styled Text Engine 100%
Date Based Events 0%
New Pok??mon None Yet
Completely New Continent 0%
Wireless Pok??PC 0%
Register NPC Email 0%
Pok??mon Breeding 0%
Weather Effects 50%
Pok??mon Specific Abilities 10%

Unique Strategy-Esque Battle System
This is pretty much what made me want to actually make this. Originally, I was just going to recreate the original battle system, but I couldn't find the G/S battle back-view sprites :[. So then I just though that it would be neat to make a new sort of battle system that requires a little more strategy. It has your basic Pok??mon mechanic such as 4 move limit, items, switching, and 1-on-1 battling. I technically only added two things: trun-based tactical block movement and ranged attacks. You move your Pok??mon about on a gridded battling field as if in Final Fantasy tactics (but only 1 block at a time) and can use attacjs depending on their range. Special attacks like Flame Thrower or Razor Leaf can be used from a distance, while physical moves like Slash or Karate Chop can only be used when the Pok??mon are directly next to each other. There are also moves like Flash and Growl that you can use anywhere on the field.

Pok??PC aka Pok??mon Portable Computer
A laptop that you can take with you on your adventures. It has a wireless connection, so when you can pick up a signal you can acess your stored Pok??mon and items, as well as browsing your friends blog and checking email. Signals can be found in all major cities and in some areas of the wild, but it's unlikely you'll find one in caves. Your Pok??PC must also have its battery recharged which can be done by some Electric-Type Pok??mon and at all Pok?? Centers.

Screens
*All screens are take from in game and are not mock-ups*

Testing out the textbox engine

Battle system moves list

Charmander using Growl on a Bulbasaur

Selecting a spot to move Charmander around in battle

Charmander using Scratch on a Bulbasaur

Re: Pok??mon Game :]
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:59:48 pm »
  • Minalien
I'm not really a fan of the Pokemon games (they all kinda blended into being the same game in my opinion), but this seems like a pretty good idea. I particularly like the new take on the battle engine. Something that would be good for balancing would be making long-ranged attackers be weaker to melee combat, and perhaps even having players' strategies monitored in-game to determine if a pokemon is more practiced with ranged or melee combat or is equally balanced (perhaps a new experience system?) (ie: A Charmander who would use Scratch more often than Ember would be more melee oriented than a Charmander who used Ember more orten, but one who used both equally often would be weaker in both melee and ranged, but would be decent at both, giving an upper hand if an enemy's strategy is to wipe out long-ranged opponents fast and easy with melee combat)
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 02:16:27 pm »
The crap GB-style graphics and the new take on a battle system make this thing !@#$% awesome :P!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 02:18:51 pm »
I like it :)
Good luck with it ;D
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:37:05 pm »
I don't like the graphics and it seems like it is a slight copy of MD but well... it looks ok.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:45:17 pm »
Well, my main reason for using the "crappy" graphics style is that it's the only style I can easily sprite for. Otherwise I'd just continue spriting for Traumwelt :]

@MiNalien: That's actually a really good idea :] I will very likely implement something similar to that. Thanks :]:]

Last Wizard of TheCentury

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 03:24:34 am »
I love it

Please stop spamming...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 05:28:14 am by cpprograms »

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 02:18:53 am »
  • ...Is it recording?
Wow... What are you making this in? The battle system really kills. That's what cancels a lot of Pokemon games.

Anyway, looking great man! Keep it up!
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 02:20:21 am »
Well, my main reason for using the "crappy" graphics style is that it's the only style I can easily sprite for. Otherwise I'd just continue spriting for Traumwelt :]

@MiNalien: That's actually a really good idea :] I will very likely implement something similar to that. Thanks :]:]
Why is MiN editing instead of posting?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 04:20:55 am »
Wow... What are you making this in? The battle system really kills. That's what cancels a lot of Pokemon games.

GM6.1 is pretty much the only thing I ever use. I would use C#, but I still haven't gotten the hang of programming with graphical APIs yet :[ It's uber-confusing in my opinion :/

Last Wizard of TheCentury

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 06:35:41 am »

GM6.1 is pretty much the only thing I ever use. I would use C#, but I still haven't gotten the hang of programming with graphical APIs yet :[ It's uber-confusing in my opinion :/
Well good luck with this game and I hope we have a demo soon
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:16:30 am »
The crap GB-style graphics
GAWD!!!! how can you say that? it hurts me  :'(

On-topic: The resolution is waaaaay too big! the GB resolution is 160x144!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 12:59:46 pm »
  • Minalien
That doesn't mean he has to make his game use 160x144. In fact, I think it would be better to continue using the resolution he is using.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 01:18:30 pm »
did you, perhaps, get the idea of battle style from mystery dungeon? because, it is quite similar, apart from the fact that finding battles are still random... or are they?  ;)
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 01:31:31 pm »
That doesn't mean he has to make his game use 160x144. In fact, I think it would be better to continue using the resolution he is using.
No if you use GB style then you SHOULD use the GB resolution.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
  • Minalien
It's still 100% optional. I dont see the NEED you seem to see to use a GB resolution with GB graphics style :/

Back on topic, I have an idea for you: Multiple-pokemon battles. What I mean is, having multiple pokemon out in a skirmish-style battle against other players. Perhaps even do a "Stadium" sort of deal and allow players to battle their pokemon together online?

• Development Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 01:38:26 pm »
If you use GB style then do it good or do it not!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 01:48:54 pm »
  • Minalien
I think it's about time to drop this discussion about his graphics style. You aren't providing any reasons for what you're saying, and it's getting old. How he does the graphics style is his choice, and choosing a higher resolution than the Gameboy used is, in my opinion, the best choice for his game style. Not everybody is so fanatical about using the proper graphics styles as you see to be.

• Development Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 01:51:20 pm »
your choice of reselution, i usually try to use one that doesnt make the graphics look too pixelated.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 04:11:43 pm »
  • Back again.
This looks great man! I don't really liek GB graphics, but it works for this. When it's finished you should put it on one of those flah paks(?) that let you put homemade games on GBA cartridges.
Just kinda moseying along.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 75 queries.