Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Completed] No More Plumbers  (Read 3484 times)

[Completed] No More Plumbers
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:27:17 am »

Story
You, the player, is Mario. Average loser, video game fanatic and lady scarecrow. You post on message boards about games you've never played and how amazing your love life is, when suddenly, a new game comes out. Just one of those games that everyone gets. In order to keep your cool, you need it. But ack, you have no money, for you are a loser. In despair you get drunk in the average loser-way and at the bar, you meet this smokin' hot chick who offers you a job. Simple; fix the water leak in her house and you'll be rich enough to buy your game. This is No More Plumbers.

Controls
Shift / z = Jump, talk
Ctrl / x = Attack

Episodes
Beat an episode to unlock the next!

Download
Click here
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:54:01 am by 4Sword »
  • MechaWare
Re: No More Plumbers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »
Well, I played your game and it was mildly enjoyable.

The programming was solid. Couldn't find a glitch, besides an invisible wall in the basement.  The music was good the graphics were really nice. And the Giant goomba was a great boss fight, even its sneer at all those mario games was great.

You might ask if you like everything, then why is it mildly enjoyable? Well there is one big flaw in your game. Everytime an enemy died the game went into slowmotion speed and you got a big splatter on the screen. The first time I watched it, it was like: "!@#$%, this is wicked!!!". The second and the third time were: "Nice!!", fourth and fifth: "Hmmm, is this gonna happen every time I kill a goddamn goomba?" and after about ten times: "Damn this is frustrating! Am I gonna continue playing?" And after the 20th and each consecutive kill: "Please let this end soon."

The slowmotion and the big splatter really are breaking the gaming pace and the illusion of being with the character. And that destroys a lot of fun. If you kept this to a bonus for an outstanding performance like killing 10 goomba's without landing on the ground, it would be a great addition. Now it is more of a burden. And especially a burden with the boss fight.

Without that major flaw, this game could have been easily one of the best fan-games I have ever played. I hope you fix this for the next episode, I will be waiting patiently. But this one rates as a small 6 out of 10.

Number of enemies killed: 137
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »
by removing the bullet time and splatter, you lose all kind of intensity from killing an enemy. It gets really dull, and just not the same. If you have any idea for how you'd like it to look (preferable in details so I can implement it  ;)) I'd love to make it happen.
  • MechaWare
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 01:13:45 pm »
by removing the bullet time and splatter, you lose all kind of intensity from killing an enemy. It gets really dull, and just not the same.
I can understand that, but now it is more of a pace breaking feature. It has the same effect as in a 3D sonic, where you are running at high speed and then come to a closed door where you need to beat a couple of baddies first. And then it is with every enemy. Just that it is repeated so often destroys the intesity of killing enemies as well.

If you have any idea for how you'd like it to look (preferable in details so I can implement it  ;)) I'd love to make it happen.

Well, when you kill an enemy it is normal time and a smaller splatter, just to keep the pace. The slow motion would only happen when it is some outstanding performance. For example:

1) It could happen when you are at a fixed area where you need to stomp every enemy before you can go on. The last enemy you kill gets the slow motion effect and a big splatter. This also signifies that the player can continue his path.

2) When stomping goomba's with the wrench you have a short time to kill another goomba and then another and another. If you can chain it up to five or ten goomba's, you get a slow motion and a big splatter. This way that effect is something to strive for and can give you major points. If you can achieve the chaining of chains or just continue chaining the kills, then you could add some special animations or  over the top utterances like "Awesome", "Wicked", "Super" and "Your the man!"

In these ways the kills still remain and are even something to strive for and can be seen as a reward for outstanding performance.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:16:15 pm by Niek »
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 03:14:31 pm »
I'll consider it!
  • MechaWare
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 03:11:10 pm »
  • :3
I really like it :) :) keep on the good work
  • daniel-kun
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:46:31 pm »
thanks  ;)
  • MechaWare
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I agree with Niek about the slomo and stuff.  It gets very annoying and really, it doesn't make it that intense.  I'd prefer it better if it was something that happened as a reward for killing so many enemies without getting hit or something like that.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I loved this game!

Even the slowdown; honestly I don't see where it messed up the flow of play at all; honestly I purposely tried to kill as many enemies as I could during each slowdown because of how cool it was :P
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 05:14:35 am »
that gives me a bit divided opinions  :D
  • MechaWare
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 05:38:02 am »
I didn't mind the slowdown too much, although I felt it to be a little too choppy, personally though, I think it should left up to the player to decide when to use it.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 01:09:35 am »

Episode 2 is out!

You need to beat episode 1 in order to get to episode 2. If you have previously played episode 1, you can use that save file (save.dat) in order to start off with episode 2 quicker.
However there was a small bug in ep1 that forces you to beat the boss again before you can get to episode 2.

Enjoy!

c+c much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:20:00 am by MechaBowser »
  • MechaWare
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 02:37:08 am »
  • Wu tang Forever
I haven't started episode 2 yet, but I really liked episode 1.
The slowmotion thing didn't bother me a whole lot.
The main thing that made the game awesome was how well you preserved the style of No More Heroes.

edit: Tried episode 2, it was just as good as the first one. Except, I couldn't figure out how to hurt the Kamek. I tried for a good 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:37:46 pm by Lindgren »
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 12:16:33 pm »
you have to make the burning gibs hit himself!
  • MechaWare
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 07:35:55 pm »
Cute little game. Must have taken some work.

I have to ask, that sound when you hit an enemy? Did you take that from Terranigma?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 04:39:33 am »
I have to ask, that sound when you hit an enemy? Did you take that from Terranigma?
from what now?
  • MechaWare
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 01:00:10 pm »
  • 笑い男
You might ask if you like everything, then why is it mildly enjoyable? Well there is one big flaw in your game. Everytime an enemy died the game went into slowmotion speed and you got a big splatter on the screen. The first time I watched it, it was like: "!@#$%, this is wicked!!!". The second and the third time were: "Nice!!", fourth and fifth: "Hmmm, is this gonna happen every time I kill a goddamn goomba?" and after about ten times: "Damn this is frustrating! Am I gonna continue playing?" And after the 20th and each consecutive kill: "Please let this end soon."
Was it not that that lagged on your computer, making the effect last far longer than it should of? Was fine for me and did indeed add a great feel to it all.

Just completed episode one and this game looks very well made. I just loved what I just played :D

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 69 queries.