Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros: Odyssey  (Read 10687 times)

Super Mario Bros: Odyssey
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:31:12 am »
Good evening my fellow forum-goers (and Mario fans). This is my first post on ZFGC, and I wanted to share with y'all my current project. Allow me to tell a rather brief story on how it came to be. A couple years ago, I was working on a Zelda-inspired 2D platformer/adventure/action game called "Flame the Dragon", which centered around my non-pony OCs in my fictional world. After more than a year of work and despite the good feedback I got, I was unsatisfied with the story and the game was starting to feel very rushed and the ideas poorly executed. I decided to put it on hiatus to regather my ideas, re-write the story, and fiddle around with the earliest build of Super Mario Fusion Revival's .gmk source (I had modified it a decent amount and even added Princess Peach for SMFR).

I soon decided I would use what modifications and additions I had made to build the Mario game I've had in mind for a very long time now - a complete re-telling of the Super Mario Bros games, and even Super Mario Land 1 & 2, and a mixture of SMW and some original ideas which include Wario and Waluigi.
Now before I go any further, I just want to give some credit to those who deserve it:
Show content

The Fusion Team -------------------- For this engine
The SMWASE Team ----------------- For permitting me to use some of their graphics in this project
DeeY ----------------------------------- For some of the code used in this game, and some graphics
Hello ----------------------------------- For the engine SMFR was built on
Nintendo ------------------------------ For creating the Mario Series
Mark Overmars ---------------------- For creating Game Maker 8
People from the SMBX community- For creating/editing some graphics
NO Body ------------------------------ For Wario and Waluigi's initial sprites
Anyone I left out unintentionally - For being awesome

The game will feature 6 chapters, each one based on one of the games I mentioned above. Chapter one will be Super Mario Bros 1 themed, two will be Super Mario Bros 2 themed, three will be Super Mario Land 1 themed, four will be Super Mario Land 2 themed (though with some minor story changes), five will be Super Mario Bros 3 themed, and chapter 6 will be based loosely on Super Mario World, with some original ideas and the Wario Bros.

If you think I'm just doing a remake of the games this fangame is based off of, nope =P The chapters (or "games" if you will) will link to one another, the game utilizes cutscenes to move you from point A to point B, and there will be more powerups and enemies from other Mario games in chapters and sections you may not expect to see them later on to keep things interesting and challenging. Remember, this is just my own interpretation and retelling of these games, so feel free to ask me why this or that is or isn't happening in this or that part of the game.

But enough chatter, let's bring out the screenshots :P
Quite a few of these are old, but should give a decent idea of what things'll look like:
Subspace for chapters 2 and ??
Show content

Using this music for when inside subspace:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feoYJwnJkfM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feoYJwnJkfM</a>

Testing out the Tatanga Battle from SML1

A preview I made quite a while back of the opening cutscene in chapter 1 and the title-screen (it's got a couple errors like the mushroom BG being too high in the first scene and message boxes overlapping one another near the end):
Show content
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtct7rJO4c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtct7rJO4c</a>

This is what selecting a chapter demo looks like in the... demo =P :
Show content

Screenshots of the last castle level in the demo:
Show content

Level previews will be present similarly to SMB1 and SMB2 on the SNES. SMB2 will not feature characters in the images though since they would be very cluttered:
Show content

Peach's sprites have been massively upgraded since the demo, and Wario and Waluigi have received entirely new designs:
Show content

An "I support" banner and a "Support" userbar I made a few months ago:
Show content

1-2 has been completely redesigned since the demo to make it feel more Mario-esque in terms of design, and so has 1-6's underground part:
Show content

Since the demo, I've also made it so that the character will enter castles upon clearing levels:

For the last set of screenshots, I have several bunches of screenshots all taken within the last 4 weeks while I've been testing chapter one (which is done, minus the testing part :P)
Show content
Show content
Show content

Everyone still here? Okay good, because now the best part...DEMO TIEM!!1 *cue circus music*
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1h9vkyksfzvcn9r/Super+Mario+Bros+-+Odyssey+%28Demo%29.zip

Before y'all get started, remember to bear in mind that this demo is EXTREMELY old (August 2012 old, lol) and as such, there are going to be several things that have been added/changed/fixed, but here's a list of known issues that are in the demo

--When Peach carries enemies, they are aren't positioned very well; I'll be sure to fix this in the future.
--Sometimes, when stomping a jumping koopa, it will disappear and you will teleport 4 pixels to the right and about 6 pixels up without bouncing off of it. I'm currently unsure of the cause. (to this day I still can't figure it out lololo)
--Some music may sound a little strange when they loop (you may hear a slight pop or jumping in the audio when they hit the loop point). For some reason, Audacity keeps adding very small amounts of blankness at the beginning of each track after I exported them and it threw the loop points off a little. I'm currently unsure of how to get around this. (fixed)
--I accidentally left an unfair enemy in the SMB2 demo; it's a Hoopster in the room before the boss fight; he's on a vine that you need to climb up. Sorry about that lol ()
--Subspace will have a slight graphical glitch if you get the mushroom while small. Don't worry, it's not a big issue.

All right I hope y'all enjoy it C:
Re: Super Mario Bros: Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:46 pm »
Thank you for showing this to us.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:36:16 pm »
I have more screenshotsies:
Show content
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:45:44 pm »
The Underground levels look different from what I downloaded.
Games that I support:

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »
That might be because the one you played was 1-4 and 1-6 and this one is 5-3 =P
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:26 pm »
Since I am the only one who seem to be replying to this, I would like to ask one thing...

How far are you from the game being complete?
Games that I support:

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »
A very very long way, esp since lately motivation has been sinking fast and no one has been helping me when I've asked. I'll probably put it on hiatus once I finish testing chapter 1.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 03:47:23 am »
Hey there, I'm not dead and neither is this project! In fact, I have some screenshots of the unlockable retro mode!
Show content

The game is VERRRY far along at this point. I'd say the game will be ready to roll in less than a month at this rate!
I've gotten lots of bug reports from MFGGers taken care of. While retro mode's "sprite glitches" were expected, everything else feels pretty smooth right now. I was able to play through normal mode again with only a handful of bugs, thanks to the help from beta testers. That's all for now, see y'all later C:
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 04:31:04 am »
Thanks for the update. I know it has been a rough road, but this is the definition of perseverence.
Games that I support:

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I like how you design the levels (just basing this off of the screens; haven't played the demo). It's not like most people do it with their fan games and I find it to be more interesting and unique.
  • My Music
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »
BANG
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8RY3n9ssE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8RY3n9ssE</a>

After just over 2 years of work, I finally finished the game.
https://app.box.com/s/a9owwj5gq3a2comkffpq
:D

Hope everyone enjoys it c:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 57 queries.