Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: [REVISE] Overworld concept layout  (Read 20383 times)

[REVISE] Overworld concept layout
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »
Version 4.2

Okay, this a new version. 1) I have added names/indicators to areas which had no name before. 2)  I added an arrow between Kokiri Forest and Hyrule Field #2 and made a 2-way arrow between Lake Hylia and Kakariko Village. This is more meant that there are small parts of that area you can't reach from the main part of the area. Think about the Fairy Fountain of the Minish Woods in MC.

Now the Main question is what dimensions do we give each area:

Goron Mountain:
Carbon Mines:
Valley of Death:
Gerudo Desert:
Zora's Domain:
River Valley #1:
River Valley #2:
River Valley #3:
Lake Hylia:
Kokiri Forest:
Deku Swamp:
Hyrule Castle:
Castle Town:
Kakariko Village:
Farms:
Hyrule Field #1:
Hyrule Field #2:
Hyrule Field #3:

Version 4.1

Questions to ask:
1) How do we divide Castle town in poor and rich? North and south? Or West and East?

2) What are interesting parts for Hyrule field? <insert name> Farm? <insert name> highlands/lowlands?

3) What will the dimensions (in tiles) of each area be?

(MC tiles are 16x16 pixels).

Okay another two versions to discuss.

1)The arrows indicate if an area has one or more doors to the adjecent area and in which way travel is possible.
2)The red circles indicate where the actual dungeon entrances are. But it is possible that you need to take a special path in another area to reach that entrance. I know the Earth Temple is in the Carbon Mines, but I think it suits better to be in the Goron Mountains, while you have to take such special path.

Note that even though River Valley is now larger, there are still streams of water, going to other areas, such as Hyrule Field, Hyrule Castle and Castle Town.

Okay, these are 2 options of my overworld layout that I have worked on today. They are the first concepts and personally I think they can be a lot better. However I need some input and especially because somethings in the GDD do not make much sense. These layouts are more to get a feeling about where each are needs to be, the sizes and final positions are not correct yet and need some work.

1) Why is there a Sheikiah dungeon and cog in the Gerudo desert. Especially because the Sheikiah and Gerudo have a rival/enemy relationship. Also Ganondorf was the Gerudo king during the war. Thus why would you keep a cog for safekeeping in enemy teritory.

2) Valley of Death, what is up with that name. I know what it says in the GDD that it is tectonic and vulcanic activity. But the Sheikiah live there and they ar friendly to the Hylians. If they were monsters I could understand, but they are not. Something like the Valley of Shadows would sound a lot better, then the Valley of Death. It sounds so morbid. 

3) River passage, runs all the way from Zora's domain to Lake Hylia? That is pretty far.

Okay those are a few. I am probably forgetting some, but that is maybe for later.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:40:53 pm by Niek »
Re: [SUBMISSION] Overworld concept layout
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:05:53 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
I like the second layout better than the first one.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:03:22 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Addressing your questions..

1) Because we need an excuse to have a desert themed dungeon.  Why is the Spirit Temple located in Gerudo Valley in OoT?  It's not even part of Hyrule, yet there's a temple there in the name of the Gods of Hyrule.  The same goes for the Arbiter Grounds in Twilight Princess.

2) It's the valley of death because well..it's dangerous.  Death Mountain in previous titles has been home to the Gorons, no?  The name isn't associated with the inhabitants.

3) Correct, from Zora's Domain to Lake Hylia.  It also runs around Hyrule as a trade route.  By your designs, yes this is far but that's not to say this cant be fixed in your designs.  Be creative, there are plenty of solutions ;) Think Pac Man for one.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:29:05 pm by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:43:58 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Niek, I kinda agree with your problems.

1) I thought the Sheikah dungeon WAS in the shiekah area, you just had to go through the desert and interact with the Gerudo area in order to get to the dungeon.
Honestly, here's how I thought it went, you'd track down the shiekah villages, find a shiekah temple and talk to an elder, who'd inform you of the Shiekah Dungeon's hiding place, but you wouldn't be able to get in without the fire and ice arrows, which the Gerudo are in possession of. So you'd go to the Gerudo valley and (probably learn the last/second to last thief skill) invade Gerudo Fortress, similarly to how you did it in OoT, by stealth, knocking out guards, but here you'd be using your thief skills too. You might also at the end learn some more of the plot, start to suspect that your mentor isn't the good Gerudo king.
Then, with fire and ice arrows in tow, you'd return to the skiehah dungeon.

2) I think they're both reasonable. Death Valley because it's under death mountain, Valley of Shadows because it sounds really cool.

3) MG, how do you imagine the river valley? I was kinda thinking we could kinda combine it with Hyrule field? Just have lower elevation parts of the field with a river running through. And maybe waterways could connect many parts of the world, and certain areas could only be accessed by waterway.

Back to your actual map, Niek, I like the second one better. The whole east side of Hyrule field could be the river valley, if we want to connect Zora's domain and Hylia by a river. I do think it might be better if there were areas on every side of Hyrule field though, but that's just personal taste.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »
^^Basically everything Max said

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »
Okay I added two new concepts, which also include possible dungeon locations and exits.

I attached the first two concepts to this post for prosperity sake.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:13:37 pm »
I like that second layout a lot, particularly the river running behind the Kokiri Forest!  The only thing is, I think the Shiekah Dungeon is actually in the Desert.

Hyrule Castle Town/Field
Deku Swamp
Kokiri Forest (Forest Temple)
Zora’s Domain
River Passage
Lake Hylia (Lake Hylia Temple)
Goron Mountain
Carbon Mines (Earth Temple)
Valley of Death
Gerudo Desert (Some Sheikah Themed Dungeon)
Hyrule Castle (Temple of Time/Celestial Clock)

There's a precursor to it though in the Valley of Death where you get the fire/ice arrows.  The Earth Temple is also in the Mines, not Goron Mountain.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:17:26 pm by MG-Zero »

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:26:30 pm »
1) I thought the Sheikah dungeon WAS in the shiekah area, you just had to go through the desert and interact with the Gerudo area in order to get to the dungeon.
Honestly, here's how I thought it went, you'd track down the shiekah villages, find a shiekah temple and talk to an elder, who'd inform you of the Shiekah Dungeon's hiding place, but you wouldn't be able to get in without the fire and ice arrows, which the Gerudo are in possession of. So you'd go to the Gerudo valley and (probably learn the last/second to last thief skill) invade Gerudo Fortress, similarly to how you did it in OoT, by stealth, knocking out guards, but here you'd be using your thief skills too. You might also at the end learn some more of the plot, start to suspect that your mentor isn't the good Gerudo king.
Then, with fire and ice arrows in tow, you'd return to the skiehah dungeon.
^^Basically everything Max said
As I understand Max's explanation. You need to get information from the Sheikiah about the dungeon, then go to Gerudo Desert to get the fire/ice arrows and then return to the Sheikiah to enter the dungeon.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »
This is doable as well, it doesn't change much other than dungeon placement.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 10:01:10 am »
Considering there have not been any more comments. I will continue to work with "Layout4", because I like that one the best as well.

Questions to ask:
1) How do we divide Castle town in poor and rich? North and south? Or West and East?

2) What are interesting parts for Hyrule field? <insert name> Farm? <insert name> highlands/lowlands?

3) What will the dimensions (in tiles) of each area be?

(MC tiles are 16x16 pixels).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:23:26 am by Niek »
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Steve and I were a while ago discussing the feasibility of having Hyrule Slums occupy the drained moat of Hyrule Town, and have entrances from the east and or west ends of the rich middle. If the moat was like it was in TP, that would probably work, so the slums could form a U around the town, kinda.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »
Could be and would be a nice slums place.

But the problem is, how would Princess Zelda have not seen the slums when she would enter or exit Castle Town. That would mean that The Royal family doesn't leave the Castle and Castle Town. Maybe have a drained moat part in the south end?
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:31:48 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Well, there would be a big bridge that goes over the moat. I was thinking, this would alleviate any need for the nobles to look at the slums, because they'd only be aware of it if they looked over the edge of the bridge when they were coming or going, and if it's a wide bridge, and also if they're in wagons, there'd be no need. They'd never have any occasion to walk through.

Aamd it's also entirely possible that Zelda has never left. After all, it's a big castle, and she has everything she needs there. She's only 12 or so after all, so she'd have tutors and everything in the castle.
If the slums were in a drained moat, then they couldn't be seen from any of the castle's many towers, either, because they'd be blocked by walls and rich buildings.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:51:38 pm »
Could be and would be a nice slums place.

But the problem is, how would Princess Zelda have not seen the slums when she would enter or exit Castle Town. That would mean that The Royal family doesn't leave the Castle and Castle Town. Maybe have a drained moat part in the south end?

This would be an issue regardless of where the slums are located.  We COULD always make the slums covered by much larger buildings from the nicer areas.  Not literally covered, but surrounded by large buildings.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 06:53:45 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Wouldn't the slums be larger than the rich portion do to most people being poor.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:10:03 pm by zdude684 »
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 07:19:10 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
I agree with zdude.  Unless the moat is just HUGE it would feel awkward for the rich to make up the majority of the town's space.  I could see it working if the middle class is included with the higher-ups and are allowed to mingle with the truly rich folk.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26:08 pm »
Also true.  How big were we planning to make so said moat?

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:14 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
I don't think we planned out the size of it, I'm also going to post my if thats ok with you.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »
Yes please do, but create your own thread for it.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 09:07:08 pm »
Wouldn't the slums be larger than the rich portion do to most people being poor.
Not neccessarily. You need to consider that the rich people have larger houses, wider streets, houses further apart and additional stuff like parks. Rich people are in fewer number (although some middle class can be found here as well, which evens the numbers a bit), but take up more space then poor people.

Well here is something else to consider. The guards put the player from the rich part to the poor part. This makes poor and rich two different areas with their own view limits. Making a U form around the rich area is saying that there are 3 different poor areas, because the area needs to be rectangular in shape.

So do we want rich and poor to be separate areas or just one?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:24:12 pm by Niek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 78 queries.