Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *EDIT* Is Wii a better name then the Revolution.  (Read 3185 times)

*EDIT* Is Wii a better name then the Revolution.
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:25:43 pm »
  • Tyrant Rave!
Why did nintendo call their "Revolution" the Wii? I thought that Revolution was a darn good title for a system, and now every time I here Wii I cringe just a little. So, the question is

Should Nintendo have stuck with Revolution, or are they better off now that it's named the Wii?

First of all, I think Nintendo definitely made the right choice by changing their system name, but probably should have named it something else. The Revolution is just too big of title to completely justify Nintendo's ambitions. It's been tried, many times in the past, to make gaming a more interactive experience plus Sony even added motion sensing to their controller. So, "Revolution" would have made Nintendo seem like they're trying to pass off a somewhat used idea as a Revolution. However, I think that Wii is a little bit ridiculous. I can understand that the ease of the word appeals to little kids, and that big words often confuse people, but Wii? Everyone knows of all the jokes going around about the systems name, or, was that nintendo's plan? Did they intentionally name the system so that people would make jokes about it so that it would become more well known? WHAT IS NINTENDO THINKING!? We may never know.

My conclusion: Changing the name = Good Idea, Changing the name to Wii = Highly questionable

**** I edited the topic title since people were getting off track, I know, it's my fault, but I wasn't trying to ask about justification, jeeze, I was trying to ask if Wii was a better choice than Revolution*****
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:45:24 pm by SilverShadowX »

GUILTY GEAR RULES!!! I AM AWESOME!!! WHY ARE YOU READING MY SIG?
Re: Did nintendo have proper justification to ca...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:24:40 pm »
what the hell is there to debate?
its nintendo's system, theyre completely justified if they wanna call it 'trash'
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:37:45 pm »
  • [sic]
Well, Revolution is an awesome codename, and I think we've all pretty much got used to "Wii", but, yes, I far prefer Revolution. It's just... well, cool. Just be thankful that they didn't combine the two for Wevolution.. or worse, Wiivolution.

I would have liked a stick with things that made more sense though... Game-boy, yeah, uh-huh, Game-cube, yep, it's a box, DS, right, dual-screen, Wii... ... ... ...Uh, someone was taking a !@#$%?

what the hell is there to debate?
its nintendo's system, theyre completely justified if they wanna call it 'trash'
XD
Nice way of putting it.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 03:57:26 am »
Just think of it we, and not wee.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:27:15 am »
Yes, but you'll always get the immature retards who say "LOL WEE", just as they did with "Gay-Cube" and whatnot.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 11:40:37 am »
I love the Wii name, and liked "Revolution" as a placeholder name. The name "Wii" rules, and that's all...
Well, Revolution is an awesome codename, and I think we've all pretty much got used to "Wii", but, yes, I far prefer Revolution. It's just... well, cool. Just be thankful that they didn't combine the two for Wevolution.. or worse, Wiivolution.
Still, Sony could name their consoles like... "Revolution", because they (stupidly) consider that their consoles are like a Revolution, and so do the Sony-fanboys ("AMAGAD! The new ??ber-cool graphics - it's teh revolution!!!111!!)

Yes, but you'll always get the immature retards who say "LOL WEE", just as they did with "Gay-Cube" and whatnot.
Well... They're retards, treat them as retards... Let them have fun with their Gaystation 3, and XBox 360, 360 what? 360 penis, maybe... >_>
Besides, if they're using the word "gay" to substitue the word "game"... Well, I better don't comment that, that's just too retard... :|
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 12:59:16 pm »
I think they should of stuck with Revolution, it seems to fit the console perfectly, it revolutionizes gaming.

But, Wii is a kick ass name, and its funny watching all the chavs wrack there brains trying to think of kewl insults without it falling back on themselves i.e;

'haha you gay, I'm gonna steal your wee'

Stupid fucks  ;D
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 01:36:39 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
On the bright side (as far as I know) the 'catch-phrase' on it isn't "Because everyone needs Wii" *everyone decends on him like a pack of wolves* :)

Seriously, they can name it whatever they want. They could have named it "Fukee" for all I care, as long as the games are good :D
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 06:21:24 am »
There is nothing to debate as Takam already mentioned.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 07:07:19 am »
  • Silly cat!
Nintendo had all the justification to call their system Wii. Nintendo's aim was to attract a casual gaming and non-gaming audience, so they used an attractive, funny, welcoming name. Wii. And guess what? It worked. Non-gamers are interested in Wii. Success.

Hoffy.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 11:16:21 pm »
  • w00t
Not to mention that it got them the most press release they will likely ever have.  I mean seriously, who would be crazy enough to name their system "Wii"?  It gathered attention, and it showed that Nintendo could make a presence this generation.

As a side note, I'll admit I've made some pretty crude jokes with the name.  "What's that Spencer, you say your arm hurts from playing with your Wii too much last night?"
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 01:11:07 pm »
  • Minalien
To be honest, there's something a lot of people seem to be forgetting here; Nintendo is a Japanese company. Wii looks like a Japanese-ish name, and in Japan, "Wii" doesn't sound like something used as a cute way of saying penis. We're just so used to Nintendo making their system English sounding that "Wii" catches us off-guard (ex: We got the Nintendo Entertainment System instead of the Famicom (Family Computer)).

And as for asking if they had "proper justificiation" in calling it the Wii, they own the system, they created it for hell's sake, why do they need justification to call it ANYTHING?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 01:14:19 pm by Madilim Kagalakan »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 08:58:52 pm »
Although for the record...calling your console Anything wouldn't be too terribly catchy...
Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 09:20:10 pm »
  • Tyrant Rave!
To be honest, there's something a lot of people seem to be forgetting here; Nintendo is a Japanese company. Wii looks like a Japanese-ish name, and in Japan, "Wii" doesn't sound like something used as a cute way of saying penis. We're just so used to Nintendo making their system English sounding that "Wii" catches us off-guard (ex: We got the Nintendo Entertainment System instead of the Famicom (Family Computer)).

And as for asking if they had "proper justificiation" in calling it the Wii, they own the system, they created it for hell's sake, why do they need justification to call it ANYTHING?

True, they really don't have to have justification, but my point was in asking if it was a smart move or not. In other words, was it a good enough idea to justify calling it the Wii instead of the Revolution. But yeah, I think it might be because revolution ends in tion, like playstation, and nintendo wanted to further themselves from their competition. But the Wii? I don't get it, I hated the name at first, but then grew to kind of like it. I think they could have came up with a slightly cooler one, but that's just my opinion.

Oh, and after seeing how small the system actually is, Wii just seems a little more appropiate. Actually, I think I'll start to stand by the name Wii, but in my heart it will still and always be the REVOLUTION.

GUILTY GEAR RULES!!! I AM AWESOME!!! WHY ARE YOU READING MY SIG?
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 09:21:30 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
It's not that the name is bad, as people in many places are fine with it, it's just that for some people it's different and so strange.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:23:52 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:38 pm »
Of course they did.
It's THEIR system.

.TakaM was here.
so my friend stole a giant bag of ketchup out of the ketchup pumping things and brought it to our table and we took it in the bathroom and i smashed it over the sink and kicked it around the bathroom and smeared it everywhere and we all took turns kicking the ketchup out of it and when we were done it looked like an african village was murdered in the bathroom
XFD.
  • Awesome Land
Re: *EDIT* Is Wii a better name then the Revolut...
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 03:21:39 pm »
  • Captain Banana
Well, probably this has been said a hundred times already, but here it comes!

Wii will, Wii will rock you!

Wii is a good name, although when we say Wii in my country it sounds just as the word wie, which means we in English.

-- TC

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:23:26 pm by TCGamer »
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 01:01:17 am »
I bet the name attracted some people, because it isn't some "weird name and a number". It's a regular name, and plus it sounds friendly. That, and the gameplay, might be why the Wii is such a success. So, the Wii is a great name.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 07:00:05 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I like the name. It's fun to say. "Wii!"
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 71 queries.