Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 8th of December is not christmas.  (Read 10008 times)

8th of December is not christmas.
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:40:29 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I personally think it's a bit early for decorations, yet most people I know have begun putting them out, and the christmas lights are on in town.

I have to ask, since when was the 8th of December Christmas? I may just be an old scrooge, but I personally am of the opinion that decorations should not be put up until the 20th of December at the earliest, and should be down by new years day.

You see, the way I figure it, you have no reason to get excited until the roughly the very week Christmas lies on, and after the Christmas and boxing day parties you need a day to sleep off your hang over before the decorations come down.

I mean, I love Christmas (it's the second most cynical holiday out there, the most cynical being valentines day). Getting free stuff is great (even if it means I have to give the odd item in return), but jesus-louise, this year is just the same of every year before it (economic woes not withstanding), most of us have seen Christmas plenty of times, we know what to expect...it doesn't warrant a month-long build-up any more than your birthday or Easter does <_<

Rant over, now entering "!@#$% I'm going to get flamed for posting this" mode...have a nice day.
Re: 8th of December is not christmas.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »
Traditionally, my family puts Christmas things up after Thanksgiving (normally on that Friday).
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:44:02 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
...it doesn't warrant a month-long build-up any more than your birthday or Easter does <_<

The season of Lent would like a word with you.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:47:03 pm »
Perhaps in my life and possibly in yours as well, Christmas is underwhelming in terms of material things.  The build-up is good for everyone, I just didn't like being lied to about a fat-man who crash landed on my roof.  Had a crazed burglar actually done a similar thing I probably would have welcomed my death willingly due to lies.  

People like to feel festive and if that is a good feeling for them, they'll use any excuse to be festive.  Couple that with the fact that people hold onto traditions if they are good ones, then this will continue so long as there is no extreme circumstance; and like you said, a bad economy actually makes people want to be even more festive.  The Christmas Spirit cannot be killed, its ectoplasmic cheer cannot be removed from this realm!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:49:27 pm »
...it doesn't warrant a month-long build-up any more than your birthday or Easter does <_<

The season of Lent would like a word with you.

Lol. :P

My family mostly celebrates the 'commercial' end of Christmas.. we're by all means not christian, but we're festive. For us it's sharing appreciation for each other, having a nice meal and enjoying each other.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:03:27 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I tend to operate under the assumption most celebrated holidays no longer have their Christian roots attached to them. The pagan ideals may still hold somewhat true I guess...

Christmas is about receiving gifts and giving gifts knowing you'll receive either a social status increase, maintain social status which would have been lost, or receive gifts in return (hence why it's the second most cynical holiday out there).

Easter is about new life, bunnies and chocolate.

Valentines Day is a commercial holiday designed to reap in !@#$% loads of money from lovestruck idiots who fear if they don't do something romantic they'll lose their respective partner, and hope that if they do something romantic they will get to !@#$% their respective partner. It also exists to remind people not in a relationship that being in one is the social norm and if you aren't in one you should get in one or kill yourself. It is by far the most cynical of all the holiday/event/things. !@#$% Valentines Day.

Here the only build-up Easter gets is shops start selling more chocolate :P

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:04:31 pm »
  • b e p i s
Your rant is baseless. Why the hell would we put up Christmas decorations like five days before Christmas? Enjoy your cynicism.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:11:12 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Say a birthday (and this is an example I hate, but fits best) was on the last day of August, and the person whose birthday was spent the whole of august ranting on about it. How many days in before you punched him in the mouth and told him to shut the !@#$% up? :P Now imagine that, but it's everybody you know going on about it.

It's one of those annoying "FFS it's still like twenty days away now, stop with the !@#$% Christmas songs on the radio. The songs suck!" things for me :P Seriously, does anybody honestly like Christmas songs? Because aside from the novelty of Christmas they truly, truly are terrible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:13:21 pm by TheDarkJay »

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:32:28 pm »
Today is also the day Pearl Habor was attacked. Remember that now :)
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 08:58:08 pm »
lol I've seen Christmas decorations up for at least a month now. I can't see what's wrong with decorating your house in December for a December holiday.
  • Google Profile

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »
  • Xiphirx
*walks in*

8th of December is not Christmas, true. ITS MAH BIRTHDAY :3

But, many people like to get the holdiays over with quick (or maybe just the shopping part). People just prepare to save time later on.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 09:02:26 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
Say a birthday (and this is an example I hate, but fits best) was on the last day of August, and the person whose birthday was spent the whole of august ranting on about it. How many days in before you punched him in the mouth and told him to shut the !@#$% up? :P Now imagine that, but it's everybody you know going on about it.

It's one of those annoying "FFS it's still like twenty days away now, stop with the !@#$% Christmas songs on the radio. The songs suck!" things for me :P Seriously, does anybody honestly like Christmas songs? Because aside from the novelty of Christmas they truly, truly are terrible.
Except Christmas and a person's birthday are two completely different things.
Plus how is it harming you that people are being cheerful and festive?

The radio sucks, don't listen to it.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
But, many people like to get the holdiays over with quick (or maybe just the shopping part). People just prepare to save time later on.

Doing shopping now is fine, why the decorations though? And why the Christmas songs? The latter are tolerable at best, when it's Christmas, and the former are always eye-sores. It seems more like people are deliberately dragging the holiday out for as long a period of time as possible and it just gets too old too quickly, the holiday becomes boring and instead of "Wow, that was fun" it becomes a case of "!@#$% hell it's finally over! We're free! FREEDOM! FREEEEEEDDDOOOOOOM!!!".  :P
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 09:13:40 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!

Doing shopping now is fine, why the decorations though? And why the Christmas songs? The latter are tolerable at best, when it's Christmas, and the former are always eye-sores. It seems more like people are deliberately dragging the holiday out for as long a period of time as possible and it just gets too old too quickly, the holiday becomes boring and instead of "Wow, that was fun" it becomes a case of "!@#$% hell it's finally over! We're free! FREEDOM! FREEEEEEDDDOOOOOOM!!!".  :P

God forbid anyone show any sign of happiness.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 09:22:18 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
But this is the fake façade happiness where people want to seem "oh that house seems nice" when really the person inside is stressed to hell and complaining about all the presents they have to buy and that the decorations are impossible to clean around whilst some obnoxious jingle about sleigh bells ring-a-dinging is playing on the radio which is soon to be lobbed out of the window in rage.

In conclusion: Bah-Humbug.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:24:59 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:39:22 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
Just because it doesn't make you happy doesn't mean it doesn't make others happy. I really enjoy looking at house decorations when they're well done.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »
Just because it doesn't make you happy doesn't mean it doesn't make others happy. I really enjoy looking at house decorations when they're well done.

My mate goes into competition with my other mate on who has the biggest display is. Pathetic thing is they had a falling out with one of their other friends because they said their competitors display looked better.

Now while I like Christmas decorations (On the odd occasion they're don't right). I hate it when we hit October and the shops are all Christmass-y and what not, at least get Halloween and Bonfire Night out the way. It seems to come earlier every year. Ruins it for me :(
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:16 pm »
I agree with Jay almost 100%.  Christmas starts way too early.  It's annoying.  People are decorating before Thanksgiving as well as radio starting music.  Wait until the 10th or so of December (the one part I disagree with, 5 days seems a bit too close to Christmas).

under the alias DarkLink6235

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 09:50:43 pm »
bah humbug

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »
  • :3
bah humbug
/bah humbug

But srsly TDJ, lighten the !@#$% up. It's a frigging international end-of-year holiday, god forbid people make their houses look nice to lighten things up a little. Decorations, that is, fairy lights here and there, make you feel warm- don't deny it. It's nice when everything's grey, it makes things bearable. And don't pretend to feel sorry for Mr. Man in the decorated house because he's stressed about buying presents- for all you know he could easily be happy. People help eachother buy presents. But I do agree, Christmas songs suck balls.

So stop complaining about Christmas- you're going to get tons of presents/money that you're going to be happy with. Be a good boy, or you'll get a piece of coal (read: someone will punch you in the face) You have no right to complain about Christmas when it means nothing but fun for you.

To conclude: The shitty aspects of Christmas are tacky decorations plastered all over about one in 1,000 houses, of which one in 1,000 of those are actually completely terrible. The other aspect is the commercial whoring of it. At your age, you should know to ignore that !@#$% if you're above it and not throw a hissy fit over it. Most people don't put decorations up until at least the start of December, and hey, you know that month-long buildup that's completely pointless? It's called Advent. Maybe you should learn about !@#$% before making baseless rants next time.
Gannon-banned brother.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 76 queries.