Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: For all the things the 360 does right...  (Read 6429 times)

Re: For all the things the 360 does right...
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 04:04:24 am »
If I played the Wii a lot, getting a charging stand might be a good option. Otherwise hoarding batteries is not really a practical option considering that unless I lived alone the battery pack would be raided by others. The point though is that the navigation of the Wii menu to just start a Game Cube game, how you have to go to the console to turn it off it you are running a Game Cube game, etc. is inconveniencing.

Meh, and I guess I broke a rule with myself. The term "battery" in place of "dry cell" is incorrect unless used colloquially.

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 05:50:38 am »
  • Angelic Hymn
I like my PC more than anything right now.
Amen.

Oh, and if Nintendo was like everyone else, we'd rather call them:
Atari (Nintendo) Colecovision (Xbox360) and the Intelevision (PS3).

With nearly the same game compatibilities, (Except for exclusives)
All having the same controller!  (By the way, Nintendo being sued for the Classic controller because it looks like someone elses which is actually a lie cause it looks like a SNES controller, except white and with a joystick.)
All having backwards compatability!
All Blu-Ray!
All have some sort of Virtual Console!
All taking your money!
All with RRoD!
All with issues that are addressed over and over!

[/my10cents]

Oh, and every console has there flaws.  I wonder who bit the crap out of SEGA's 21.5 MHz processors? xD  Or the 64-bit Atari Jaguar? xD
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:56:57 am by DeathTailsz »

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 08:20:52 am »
Speaking of bad things, my 360 power adapter made from zapping noises then smelt like fresh fireworks a few hours ago... !@#$%.

*proceeded to find N64 in basement and hooked up OoT to his 42" LCD HDTV*
gawd, looks nasty ugly!
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 10:43:57 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Speaking of bad things, my 360 power adapter made from zapping noises then smelt like fresh fireworks a few hours ago... !@#$%.

*proceeded to find N64 in basement and hooked up OoT to his 42" LCD HDTV*
gawd, looks nasty ugly!

It looks pretty good on my 32" LCD HDTV. MM looks way better though obviously. Which just so happens to be what I'm playing through at the moment. I forgot how amazing it is. I started playing it again on N64 a few days before it came out on VC.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 11:19:19 am »
OK, as long as we are putting our thoughts into the newest generation consoles. The most important reasons for me choosing a console are the potential software and the price.

Price: currently the 360 is a good price for buying one, but at it's launch the price was too high. The price of the 360 was also too high at the moment of the launch of the Wii. PS3 is still too high. I ain't going to pay €399,- for a freaking PS3 with 60GB HD and Little Big Planet. No matter what high end hardware or special features it has. After a year it is outdated anyway.

Potential Games: I always look at the games coming with the launch (and a few months after) and also the potential of future games. Agreed Nintendo has an unfair advantage because it has a long and rich history of good franchises. Microsoft is still a relative newcomer. Sony also has a number of good franchises, which until this moment have remained exclusive for the Playstation, but the most of them are 3rd party and could change consoles at any given moment. At the launch of the Wii I had a number of games I wanted to play. At the launch of the 360 there was only 1 (Kameo) and at the launch of the PS3 there were none.

And at this moment I still find the Wii to have a more appealing lineup then the others. What can I say I just like games which are totally unrealistic and brightly colored. For me games are about the fun factor and that is what Nintendo is still good at. With the 360 and PS3 I get the feeling they are all about realistic looking graphics and a lot of blood and gore. I just don't like that very much. i also get the impression that the PS3 and 360 is more into the horror and fps games, and that are two genres I don't like (with the exception of Goldeneye on the N64).

I don't know if it is true anymore, but I've often heard the argument that the 360 or PS3 have more games in their lineup then the Wii (not counting backwards compatibility). But frankly I don't have the time nor the money to play and buy all the games I like on the Wii, so that is not so much an issue. (On a second note, I rather like that not so many good games are released at the moment for the Wii, because it allows me to catch up.)

Backwards Compatibility: seemingly important to some people, of little importance to me. Why you might say. Well for all of the older generation games I still have, I got the required console as well. And the older generation games are hard to get. Although with Nintendo's newest cash-in action of 'New Play Control', it is easier for some. Additionally like in the previous paragraph, I don't have the time nor money to play them (all).

High end Graphics and Audio: Another feature which doesn't bother me all to much. I could see the difference between NES and SNES, SNES and N64 and N64 and Gamecube, but after that it all became the same to me. I couldn't notice any difference in graphics between PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, nor can I see any difference between the previous generation consoles and the current. I instantly believe the numbers you will throw at me about polygons and pixels and the improvement of HDMI. But frankly when I'm playing a game it isn't different to me. Maybe because I'm to focused on the gameplay or I just don't have an eye for these aspects. Or maybe it is because I subconsciously just don't care. The same goes for the audio BTW. I still love the good old SNES graphics, but that may be nostalgia speaking.

On line: I actually hate the trend that multiplayer has to go on line. It becomes impersonal and distant. I know about voice chat and all that, but it still doesn't replace the entire on the couch sitting an looking with a number of people at a (split) screen. I noticed this with LANning as well. Even though we are sitting around the same table, all the social interaction is gone. If I want to sit alone in a room playing a game, I rather do it in singleplayer mode, than against a faceless opponent across the world. In multiplayer I want to be able to look my opponents in the eye, curse them, give them nudges with the elbow or knees to distract them. Or making them pay attention to my avatar instead of their own. Really on line multiplayer? I rather play a silent game of cards around the table, then play on line with voice chat.

Webbrowsing? Helloooooo! PC anyone! Really to browse on line I would use a PC. A keyboard and mouse are a lot more usefull too. I know you can connect a keyboard to the consoles, but why buy/connect a keyboard to your console, when 99.99999% of the people have a (outdated) PC anyways. On a HDTV it might look reasonable, but on those TV's a webbrowser looks really horrible.

Downloading patches? In my oppinion, if a developer has to bring out patches to fix problems or add some features. I just think it is sloppy work. For the system it self I can live with it and I can understand that PC games require it, because due to so many hardware, it is practically impossible to test every configuration. But a console game. Helloooo! Couldn't the developer be bothered to complete the game before shipping it and selling it to customers. If I need to download a new feature,because they didn't include it in the sold version of the game, then that feature has to be one hell of a feature. In these cases the new features warrants a sequel and a complete new game is made. If I need to download a patch for a console game, because of a bug. Then that is just sloppy testing. It is only 1 configuration you need to test. But they just shipped an incomplete game, because a fart waited to long and wanted to see some money. This applies to Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and all the other publishers and developers.

Game controllers: Let me start off with saying that I, unlike most, actually like the waggling of the wiimote and often prefer it over the button bashing on gamepads. I know people perform better with a normal gamepad, because they can react faster or are quicker of movement. But I can't help wondering if it isn't because we are trained in it and aren't used to the game immersion the Wiimote represents.
Wallnut: I don't know how you come to such a long list of peripherals, but you can play every Wii game with just 4 peripherals. The Wiimote, Nunchuck, Balance Board and Gamecube controller. All the other things are nothing more then decoration and absolutely not necessary. I have to admit that I also have a Wii Wheel and Wii Zapper, but that is because those pieces of plastic came with the games (Yes, I bought Link's crossbow training for the game and not the plastic). Maybe in the future the Wiimotion plus gets added to this list, but it all depends on its support in the games. One exception are the Instruments, but you have to buy those for the 360 and PS3 as well. And changing of controllers isn't that much of a problem, because I've stored them next to the Wii. The changing of controllers happens when I want to play another game and then I have to walk to my Wii to change the disk anyway. The only thing that takes more time is disconnecting the Nunchuck.
But back to the topic. I like the Wiimote, because of the waggling. With it I have more of an immersive experience. And the wiimote is actually the first step towards a gaming experience like Star Trek's holodeck. Although I might never experience that. There is nothing wrong with a regular gamepad, but it is less immersive. And the internal battery of the PS3 is actually a disadvantage because of several reasons. 1) You need a spare gamepad, for when the battery is empty, 2) (Don't know for sure), but you could play with a charge cable connected to the gamepad, robbing it of its wireless aspect. The cables probably aren't that long, which forces you to sit closer to the PS3. 3) When the battery goes dead, because of the many discharges and recharges, you need to buy a complete gamepad of €40,- instead of a new rechargeable battery of €2,- (maybe less).

I have probably forgotten a number of aspects, which I gladly give my oppinion on when asked. But for me the best console to buy was the Wii. Although I am considering to add another, but like I said. I don't have the time or the money to afford them.

PS: Many would ask what about the PC. Well in my oppinion it is a hell to game on my PC. I use it for business and study purposes and to play video (including Blu-Ray) and music. I really dislike playing games on the PC, because past experience has really soured it. To have a decent gaming experience, I was constantly tweaking the PC. I wasted more time and money on maintaining my PC for a decent gaming experience then I would actually be able to play a game. I hear people say that a PC has better graphics and more hardware strength, but that doesn't matter to me. And parts of the PC are very expensive and are outdated within a year. A console would last for a lot longer and isn't as expensive.
Secondly installing games is such a drag. When I buy a game, want to be able to put the disk in and be able to play it immediately, and not wait until the game has installed a number of GB's on plugins required for the game. Call me lazy, but I just don't like it.
Third the keyboard has to many buttons, that I always push the wrong ones. I know there are gamepads for the PC, but it is always praying that the one you have is supported.
Finally, because a PC has a lot of different combinations in hardware, it often happens that the game doesn't work in a certain combinations (even if you use popular parts). I had to wait for a patch which could take weeks and then all my interest in the game had vanished. For example: I've bought C&C Tiberian Sun, but never played it, due to a incompatibility with mouse drivers. Before that was resolved a few months had past and my interest was gone with the wind. Even today I still have the disk, but never played the game.
And that is why I think playing games on a PC stinks.
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 12:20:56 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I agree with pretty much everything you've said Niek, especially the online multiplayer bit. Sure some games are great to have online (RTSs for example) but shooters, fighters, party games etc. are always more fun when you can get up and dance in the face of the person you just pwned.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 12:25:37 pm »
although i will still buy games for my wii (aslong as anything good comes out), i am leaning closer to the pc then anything else for most of my gaming but the only thing i don't like is the fact that windows live applies to the pc version of most xbox games as well, making it so you need to pay for a gold membership for online play, i can't afford both internet and that, also i am too used to playing online for free.
:P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:29:06 pm by EliteJason »
/*http://raptr.com/Doomsfall?src=em_allsm]http://raptr.com/badge/Doomsfall/fss_overall.png*/

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 01:18:04 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Obviously every gaming console is going to have it's strengths and weaknesses. Nintendo has done an excellent job at making the Wii backwards compatible.

What I don't understand is why the PlayStation 3 is no longer backwards compatible. Honestly, I would rarely play the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games if my PlayStation 3 was not backwards compatible. It's almost as if the gaming companies want us to forget about older generation games.

I see no reason why a console should not be backwards compatible if the game data is stored on media the current console can read. I presume there could be some issues with hardware, but the Nintendo was able to create an excellent backwards-compatible console.

I'm curious to find out what the next generation gaming consoles are going to be like. Console developers have been researching many new and unique ideas to the industry recently, and it will be interesting to see how many of those become integrated in their consoles.

I believe the PS3 is no longer backwards compatible due to the open licensing now available on the PS2.
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »
About tweaking your PC before playing games niek, you're supposed to do that, it's part of the whole PC gaming experience. That and having a hundred actions bound to the keyboard. If you don't like it, better to stick with consoles.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 02:15:51 pm »
Obviously every gaming console is going to have it's strengths and weaknesses. Nintendo has done an excellent job at making the Wii backwards compatible.

What I don't understand is why the PlayStation 3 is no longer backwards compatible. Honestly, I would rarely play the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games if my PlayStation 3 was not backwards compatible. It's almost as if the gaming companies want us to forget about older generation games.

I see no reason why a console should not be backwards compatible if the game data is stored on media the current console can read. I presume there could be some issues with hardware, but the Nintendo was able to create an excellent backwards-compatible console.

I'm curious to find out what the next generation gaming consoles are going to be like. Console developers have been researching many new and unique ideas to the industry recently, and it will be interesting to see how many of those become integrated in their consoles.
You can still play PSone games on any PS3. (No I dont mean rebuying of the PSstore, I mean actually using the disc).

Being as theres a lot of Controller talk, I'll post my say;
I love the PS3 controller, because theres no immediate change to the PS2 pad, its easy to pick up and play a game with. I also am rather fond of the 360 pad, the layouts simple, and fits quite nicely in the hand. I how ever, hate the Wiimote, I mean people keep saying how it allows for life like gameplay, if thats the case then whats all this motion plus !@#$% they are releasing? Theres a lot I hate about the Wii, I'm hoping it wont be a fashion all other game companies will follow...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 03:11:31 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
My biggest issue... is that people commend Nintendo for making sales off of people who don't give 2 shits about gaming. It's a console that's half the price of big consoles with one big novelty feature that they market to people who are too retarded to know better. The people who typically buy the wii don't give a rats ass about gaming at all. They only think "Oh hey I can lose weight on this" (btw that's low of Nintendo, but hey Microsoft is the bad guy here for having the money, not those cheap shot bastards at Nintendo, right?), or "Hey cool I can make music with a wagglestick!" (... come on now).

The wii is a glorified children's toy right now. Don't throw in the argument of "OH BUT LOOK AT MADWORLD AND A TON OF OTHER GAMES", because I will throw the 360 and the PS3's catalog in your face hard. Theres not that many games geared towards adults on the wii folks. Only novelty party games geared towards non-gamers.

In the house I live in now, theres a Wii, and an Xbox 360. The person who owns these 2 systems has 2 sons. He bought the wii for them thinking they'd like it.... Guess what. They'd rather play GTA4 and Fable 2 than the waggle games. They find them more challenging. He now says that it was a big mistake to buy it because it's never used. Even he says "Once I got more into gaming I realized the Wii was just cheap compared to the other systems I have.
This is coming from a non-gamer.

My rather long-winded point is that the Wii doesn't really do anything right other than !@#$% itself out to people who are too stupid to know what's better. They get sales off of naive people, and zealots like nintendo fanboys glorify what they're doing and say Microsoft's evil for not giving up on the hardcore gamers. The 360 may have its issues, but at least it has substance. The wii is just... novelty gag after novelty gag.
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 03:24:59 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
My rather long-winded point is that the Wii doesn't really do anything right other than !@#$% itself out to people who are too stupid to know what's better. They get sales off of naive people, and zealots like nintendo fanboys glorify what they're doing and say Microsoft's evil for not giving up on the hardcore gamers. The 360 may have its issues, but at least it has substance. The wii is just... novelty gag after novelty gag.

/topic
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

gm112

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 06:07:56 pm »
I agree with your post, Mammy. By the way, I'd like to add on to my original post. "Well, why can't they just rewrite the System Menu and scrap the I/O OS concept?".. they can't. They would have to completely make a new console in order for them to escape the !@#$% architecture that they constructed. It's like the DSi with regular DS games. "Why can't DS games use WPA Wireless Network on the DSi?".. same case with the Wii, pretty much >_>. So, yeah. Good job, Nintendo. You've lost my respect and possibly a huge bunch of gamers who are probably now 360/PS3 gamers.
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 06:34:56 pm »
Mamoruanime, there is nothing naive about buying the Wii and it is not retarded if you like it and think the Wii is a good gaming console.

After the N64 and the Gamecube Nintendo had to come with something that would earn them big money. Because they were losing their market share rapidly. They would go bankrupt or had to become like SEGA a third party developer. With the Wii it was their third strike and they hit a homerun. And they did it by doing something completely new. You may call it a "novelty gag after novelty gag". But they are bringing a new product, which many people like and has expanded the market like crazy. Nintendo is the same as Microsoft and Sony. A big company out to get our money. They were losing it with the N64 and Gamecube, so they tried something new and hit the jackpot. And Nintendo wasn't even the first to explore this area. Microsoft had made a motion sensing controller once, but never offered the games to support it. Sony came during the PS2 with Singstar and Eye Toy, but never explored the possibilities any further. Nintendo did take the step. True, most of the first games were collection of minigames, reasonably fast the full-fledged games appeared. I'm not a prophet, but I think Sony and Microsoft will follow Nintendo's example, even if they denying it now.

The games Nintendo makes these days aren't any less of a game just because they aren't the traditional games we have always known and loved. To the contrary of what you believe, the so-called "non-gamer" does care about their entertainment and videogaming. The traditional videogames never offered them something they were interested in. You introduce people to something, by means off what they like. I think that with most traditional gamers, they are troubled with pride an vanity, because playing games no longer is the property of a select community, but the whole world is gaming now.

Go ahead, start bashing me now. About me being a fanboy, but you can't deny that from a business point Nintendo did the right thing.
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »
After the N64 and the Gamecube Nintendo had to come with something that would earn them big money. Because they were losing their market share rapidly. They would go bankrupt or had to become like SEGA a third party developer. With the Wii it was their third strike and they hit a homerun. And they did it by doing something completely new. You may call it a "novelty gag after novelty gag". But they are bringing a new product, which many people like and has expanded the market like crazy. Nintendo is the same as Microsoft and Sony. A big company out to get our money. They were losing it with the N64 and Gamecube, so they tried something new and hit the jackpot. And Nintendo wasn't even the first to explore this area. Microsoft had made a motion sensing controller once, but never offered the games to support it. Sony came during the PS2 with Singstar and Eye Toy, but never explored the possibilities any further. Nintendo did take the step. True, most of the first games were collection of minigames, reasonably fast the full-fledged games appeared. I'm not a prophet, but I think Sony and Microsoft will follow Nintendo's example, even if they denying it now.
So you mean the idea of gimmick toys as a future for gaming is a good idea? !@#$% that, its a horrible Idea. The wii has about 3 goodish games, yes the wii has a lot of games, as yes I can understand these appealing too people who will probably only play them for about an hour then !@#$% off and deal with the rest of their lives. The Wii offers nothing to people who actually play games to be immeresed in a story.

The games Nintendo makes these days aren't any less of a game just because they aren't the traditional games we have always known and loved. To the contrary of what you believe, the so-called "non-gamer" does care about their entertainment and videogaming. The traditional videogames never offered them something they were interested in. You introduce people to something, by means off what they like. I think that with most traditional gamers, they are troubled with pride an vanity, because playing games no longer is the property of a select community, but the whole world is gaming now.
I wouldn't be bothered about new gamers coming in, if Nintendo hadn't completely turned its back on people who actually enjoyed gaming for what it was, an immersive experience. Non of this "innovative" !@#$%.

Go ahead, start bashing me now. About me being a fanboy, but you can't deny that from a business point Nintendo did the right thing.
They did the right thing to milk money, but turning your back on their whole audience wasn't good...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 68 queries.