Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collided Worlds  (Read 1523 times)

Collided Worlds
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:08:18 pm »
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:07:02 pm by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

If you're wondering about the I'm Sorry, that's aimed at TFW2005, for all the good it does.

Collided Worlds on indefinite hiatus due to being in need of heavy rewrites. I am instead working on some smaller crossovers, such as a My Little Pony and Power Rangers crossover.

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: Collided Worlds
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:54:42 pm »
  • b e p i s
(Your links are broken, I had to follow the one in your sig)

I'm known on ZFGC for my absolute hatred of fan fiction, but because I'm trying to respect other aspiring writers even if it pains me to do so, I'm going to give you a very honest review of this. Before you vent your rage, please understand this: I have been writing as a hobby for eight years. My essays have been published. I am a currently declared English major at an accredited university with a 3.2 GPA. Therefore, I am at least somewhat qualified.

This is just not very good, even for fan fiction.

Now if you're still reading, I will say this: you definitely have a great deal of knowledge about the source material. Keep in mind when I say "knowledge" I mean names and geography; based on the knowledge I do have of Star Wars and Lupin III, your characters are not presented in their respective personalities. That being said, this is why I think it's sad that this talent for memorizing countless names and locations is being wasted on someone else's characters and someone else's world. Now I'll move on to the problems.

- Your grammar and sentence structure is incredibly flawed. Not in terms of spelling, but in how you do not use paragraphs. Paragraphs are there for many reasons: they separate ideas. Think of them as camera cuts in a movie. You can also use them for dramatic effect, to single out a certain element that is extremely important, like a sudden noise, or an unexpected plot twist.

- In most fantasy (which I'm guessing you read a lot of), the incredibly complex lore of the worlds the stories are set in is not revealed all at once. That's okay; it rewards the reader as they continue through the story. You seem to have the need to reveal everything at once, to cram in tons of information. Rather than have build up about how the temporal shift affects everything, which would also give you time to establish characters, et cetera, you just jump right in and slap the reader in the face with tons of information. This is confusing, this is unnecessary, this is distracting.

- "Zenigata pulled out a one-page, two-side medium print contract." Description can flesh out the imagery of any piece of writing, even make it semi-poetic. But when it is THIS exact, THIS sterile, it feels boring and prefabricated. That would be okay if it fit in with the style of a story, but it does not here, because you are not trying to make a bold or symbolic statement by using precise language.

- There are so many plot holes here. How do the Sonic characters even have Star Wars movies to watch, if their universe is separate from the one real people actually live in? How could careless filing somehow disguise the existence of an entire world? Surely there are stories about this in the Hylian culture, some sort of cultural record that, by this point in the world's timeline, would have led a curious person to question it?

- You list things that happen. In real life, things do not just "happen." There are feelings surrounding them, there are sometimes indefinable causes that lead up to them, there is the ever-present ambiguous specter of circumstance there. You need to factor this in to your writing instead of just creating lists.

My sincere advice to you as a fellow writer:

1. Read GOOD fantasy. Check out George R. R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, and Terry Goodkind. Note how their incredibly complex stories and universes are revealed by starting in a small location, sometimes an unimportant one, and then branching out gradually. You'll find after reading these 2000+ page monsters that you are still able to retain everything they say. Why do you think this is?

2. Try to create original settings and characters. It will flex your creative muscles, therefore making you a better stylist as well. Writers that succeed don't write fan fiction, period.

3. Constantly let people read anything you write, even if they tell you it's not very good. Be open to suggestions.

4. Don't write a story because you think it's cool to see characters fight or something. Write a story because you think it is worth telling.

Signing off,
Dantz
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:13:03 am »
I'm devoted to this, and I do think it's worth telling. I've written too many essays, and breaking the blandness habit formed of that is difficult. One of my downfalls. As for paragraphs, WordPad isn't the best for formatting. Why use it, then? you might ask. My answer is, it hasn't changed over the years. I do some of the typing at school on computers that have an older version of MS Word that doesn't agree with the newer version(I hate that inter-version incompatibility). FanFiction.Net doesn't preserve source formatting, which is a !@#$%, but my GeoCities account is full. I am looking for a better place to host my stuff, Collided Worlds will eventually have a website all its own, but... I know I'm not the best at this, and my story-writing is rather rusty. But I'm working to improve, so please be patient. I might choose to give you guys a story from farther ahead in the saga to show you what I can do.

How it all fits together will be explained soon(that will be the purpose of Volume 1, Chapter 5). Just a warning: Ships(but not characters or FTL technology) from the new BSG are imported because I like them(in-story reasoning is to counter some of the villains' newer starship designs) in the Flight of the Viper installments in the second third of the New Clone Wars. Please don't fretch.

Anyway, my writing gets better as the story goes on. I read a well-written novel that has really helped brush up my form It's too late to rewrite what I already finished, but I promise Volume 1, Chapter 6 will be be good. There will also be a comic portion to the whole thing, and I will share the comics with you guys as soon as the frakking scanner is sorted out.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:49:29 am by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

If you're wondering about the I'm Sorry, that's aimed at TFW2005, for all the good it does.

Collided Worlds on indefinite hiatus due to being in need of heavy rewrites. I am instead working on some smaller crossovers, such as a My Little Pony and Power Rangers crossover.

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:05 am »
  • b e p i s
I'm devoted to this. Anyway, it gets better as time goes on. It's too late to rewrite what I already finished, but I promise Vol 1, Chapter 5 will be be good.

*sigh*

Nevermind. I think our views of "good" are very different.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:54:52 am »
Erm, slight update. I was trying to promise improvement.
EDIT: Updated the prologue.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:44:22 am by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Brony
  • Linkosaurus Forums
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 45 queries.

anything