Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Contest #1: Game Development | Congratulations Knightmare for Saints Bow!  (Read 20792 times)

Re: Game Development Contest #1
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 07:39:48 pm »
  • Minalien
You should have taken the time to plan things out more so you could have a broader range of entries and better, worthwhile prizes that would interest people who don't use/aren't interested in Game Sucker rather than throwing out a half-baked competition narrowed to Game Maker users. No offense, I just think that if you want to bring more activity to game development, you should start trying to target non-game maker users, because that's where you'll get more of your decent developers interested.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 07:42:50 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
You should have taken the time to plan things out more so you could have a broader range of entries and better, worthwhile prizes that would interest people who don't use/aren't interested in Game Sucker rather than throwing out a half-baked competition narrowed to Game Maker users. No offense, I just think that if you want to bring more activity to game development, you should start trying to target non-game maker users, because that's where you'll get more of your decent developers interested.
This isn't some huge development or something, its a fun little game. If you don't want to use Game Maker, then just don't enter. Its not like this is a massive adventure game competition or something.  ::)
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 07:47:11 pm »
  • Minalien
That's why I strongly believe that it was just a half-baked attempt at drawing attention to development, there's no real requirements other than "minigame," "Zelda," and "Unregistered Game Maker 7." It's completely wiping developers such as myself who use other development tools out of the running, and granting a prize that's also specifically targeting the same group. It does nothing for people such as myself and Infinitus who refuse to stoop to the level of using Game Maker rather than writing our own engine in C# using DirectX or OpenGL, and so it doesn't help the community in the least, save for a couple more crappy minigames created with Game Maker that nobody cares about.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
And guess what MiN, it's "Game Development Contest #1"

Your time will come (and mine will again, because I don't usually use Game Maker :D)
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 07:49:34 pm »
  • Minalien
That doesn't act as an excuse for coming up with a half-baked, limited competition that does nothing to bolster the community's game development side of things

• Development Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 07:54:25 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Except for the fact that the majority of the community uses Game Maker, and its a quick and easy way to introduce the new contests board to the general public, plus it gets people making games with an actual incentive to complete them. Stop whining and find something else to do perhaps.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 08:02:45 pm »
  • Minalien
Yes, and by creating a GM-only contest, it's excluding those of us who use other tools. Why am I prevented from participating by entering a minigame I throw together in Torque or with C#?

• Development Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
The title should be "Game Maker Game Development Contest #1".
'nuff said.
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 08:12:17 pm »
--
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:59:34 pm by Venyux »
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 08:15:20 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Seriously Minalien, stop moaning about things that don't have to be. If it's the #1st contest, why are you continuing to complain? I'm certain you'll have the contest you want in some weeks, just wait, it's not that hard. Oh, and also, inversion the current situation, why people couldn't participate because it's limited to C# .NET and stuff?

I think MiN is saying that you make it so people who use C# and people who use GameMaker should both be able to partake in the same contest, namely this one :P
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 08:44:06 pm »
--
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:59:41 pm by Venyux »
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 08:46:38 pm »
  • Minalien
Actually, you can. The point is to DEVELOP a !@#$% GAME. I can easily compare a game made with Game Maker to a game developed in C#. *COUGH*4E COMP AT GAMEDEV DOES IT ALL THE BLOODY TIME*COUGH*

• Development Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 08:53:48 pm »
--
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:59:52 pm by Venyux »
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 09:00:19 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
You can. I can say "This game is better than this one" regardless of what was used to make each individual game. I can say a Wii game is better than an Xbox 360 game can't I? I can say an Xbox 360 game is better than a Wii game, can't I? If you chose to use something limiting or underpowered, well more fool you.
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 09:13:12 pm »
--
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:59:58 pm by Venyux »
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 09:21:59 pm »
  • Minalien
But the competition is about the quality and originality of the endgame itself, not about HEY DID HE USE C++ OR GML?

• Development Blog
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
You can't compare the methods used to make the game. You can't compare GML with C# or C++ or anything else.

We wouldn't be comparing the methods. Hey, so long as it's an original game, why should we care about the methods? So long as it wasn't a pre-downloaded library with a function engine.RunGame("tetris", "spritefolder", 60); why should it matter?

Okay, they has to be some limits, like no total-conversion mods of existing games and such.
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 09:33:35 pm »
--
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:00:24 pm by Venyux »
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 10:03:51 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I have an idea MiN, make a game in your language of choice and then make a fake Game Maker loading bar at the beginning. Then we can all be friends again. :D
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 10:11:49 pm »
The object of this contest is for users who USE game maker to make a GM7 game. If you *dont* use game maker, I suggest you *dont* enter, because a GM7 license would be useless for you. Not all contests will be appealing to everyone, deal with it. We want to explode ALL roads of development, GM is first on the list, its our first theme.. there are others coming, there will be. I know a GM7 20 dollar license doesn't compare to Torque or Multimedia Fusion 2, but it's still something. 
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 76 queries.

anything