Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metroidvania Concept  (Read 1516 times)

Metroidvania Concept
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:23:40 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese

I've been playing around with a Metroidvania styled game concept for a while, though it originally started with the thought, "What would System Shock 2 be like if it was a 2d sidescroller?".  I figured that probably wouldn't be very good, so the idea eventually evolved into a more typical RPG type affair.

Gameplay:

A simple sidescroller in a large dungeon with emphasis on exploration, much like any Metroidvania style game.  To make it more like System Shock 2, resources are very limited. 

Your character does not gain levels.  Instead, you find magical spots where you can choose to upgrade an attribute, however there will be more up-gradable attributes than there are spots and you can only choose one for each spot.

Weapons have their own levels.  These are gained by killing enemies.  Weapons also degrade over time and can break.  If you had a level 5 sword that broke, the next sword you got would be back at level 1 so it's important to keep your weapon in good condition.

I haven't thought much about what kinds of weapons would be available.  I know swords and bows/guns for sure, but I want to make sure that each weapon facilitates a different type of combat and isn't different in only how much damage is done.

Magic spells can only be leveled up at the upgrade spots, so if you want to play as a mage you would be forced to sacrifice other attributes such as strength or weapon proficiency.

The magic spells I'm considering at this point are basic damage spells such as fire, ice, bolt, and effect spells persuasion and sleep.  Persuasion and sleep are different in how they operate.  To determine if the spell succeeds or not, a die is cast.  For example, at level 1 you would have to roll a 5 or 6, and level 2 you'd have to roll 4, 5, or 6, and so on.

Plot:

You play as Fitz, a low level gang member who has just been put in prison.  However, an unexplained supernatural force suddenly ravages the entire area, transforming the prison into a tree-like dungeon, setting all the prisoners free.

Specifics haven't been ironed out yet, but this sets up a dynamic between the enemies where the prisoners and guards are fighting each other, but both of them will fight the monsters spawned by the supernatural force.

Anyways, just some basic, extremely derivative ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 37 queries.

anything