Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gauging Interest: A Creative-Collaborative-Cooperative Game-making Competition!  (Read 1996 times)

Gauging Interest: A Creative-Collaborative-Coope...
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:36:08 pm »
Everybody's good at something, especially around here at ZFGC. So first and foremost I want to make it clear that this thread is for anyone and everyone. I am hoping to see as many people as possible interested in participating in this event, and/or in helping develop it. And these two interests aren't exclusive; someone can help develop the contest and participate in it too. I plan to participate in it myself when it gets underway. I am really excited about this idea, and I hope you will be too.

The Proposal

I'm proposing a friendly competition. In this competition, you get randomly assigned to a team of a number of people, and your team's goal is to spend a week collaborating to create a game. The goal of the competition isn't to win, although naturally there is an overall winner. The competition's real purpose is as follows:

• to foster new relationships between yourself and a number of people you haven't met prior
  • to gain new practical experience working and cooperating with other people in a team environment
  • to flex your creative muscle in whatever way(s) you're best at
  • to learn from the other members of your team and benefit yourself professionally
  • to be a part of a finished project that you're (hopefully) proud of

In short, this competition would be about creativity, collaboration, and cooperation. It's about the beginning of new relationships, and the start of something that can be built on in the future, based on something concrete (a game).

Qualifications for Entry

That's the trick: anyone can enter. Games can be built by people with any skill set, whether they're professional or amateur. The goal of this competition is to best use the skill sets of your assigned team to make a game -- any skill is an asset, from programming to poetry.

Not everyone is a programmer, but we live in the days of easy and accessible development tools. Here are a few examples of ways to make a game:

• A programming language, or Flash, or Game Maker, etc.
  • A text-based game
  • An online game -- for example, a website with interconnected links
  • A social game -- for example, the Ben series of Majora's Mask videos on Youtube, or a roleplay
  • A physical game -- board games, card games, puzzles etc. that don't require any tech savvy to create

The definition here is open-ended, and as such any skill set can be used towards finishing the task of making your team's game. What's important is the collaboration and cooperation of team members to focus these skill sets into tasks towards creating a final product.

How to Contribute and How to Enter

I don't know when this will take place, and I don't know where it will be hosted. Before that becomes clear, I need other people to let me know they're interested in developing this competition. I'll be circulating it to other websites as well, and everyone who's interested will work in a team of our own to fill out the details of this competition. In a sense, this process will mimic the competition itself! I'm really hoping to find people interested in codeveloping this competition.

If you have any interest in this competition, whether it's participating in it or helping to develop it, or both, you can email me (gdwtaylor at gmail), or private message me here, or message me on a number of social programs. You'll be informed of how to contribute and enter the competition when various stages get underway.

When the time comes to actually enter the competition, you'll give a username. You'll also be asked to talk about yourself when you join; at the very least you'll need to fill out your skill set, but you're also welcome to say a piece about yourself, about your interests, and welcome yourself into the fold. Don't sell yourself short. I don't know what the end result will be, but I'm hoping for this to be a strong social experience.

The Next Step

As the competition draws closer to beginning, each person will be randomly assigned to a team with several other people. Some care will be taken to ensure that each team has a wide skill set, but overall the selection process will be random, and it's very likely that you'll be assigned people you've never met before. Team names will be randomly assigned names from a themed list -- for example movie directors, animals, colours, foods. The team will have a grace period to meet up and get to know one another, and to discuss your skill sets and assign roles as you like.

The First Week

When the competition begins, each team will have a week to fulfill all competition requirements. These include the following equally important things:

• Creating a design document that outlines the team's plans, and adding to it (not editing) as plans shift or change. This will serve as a presentation of the project when it's all said and done, but it can also serve as an important guide for the team during the competition.
  • Creating some sort of final product, a game of some nature. Any elements of the game will be a result of the team's skill set.
  • Journaling the team's progress in some way. This could simply be public records of communication between you and your team (within a forum or otherwise), or blog posts, or a history within your design document itself.

The Second Week

When each team is done, they'll have some kind of final product to present over this second week. Ideally, this will include a finished game, but the idea process is just as important.

Judging will be very loose, and peer evaluation will play a large factor, since this is a friendly competition. Elements of a game (gameplay, plot, art, music, or anything else that each team accomplishes with their skill set) will be taken into consideration in tandem with the skill sets that each team represents, and people will give praise as well as constructive criticism. Since it is a competition about creativity, originality in concept or execution will be a factor as well. Several awards will be given out based on positive peer evaluation, including an overall award, best in categories, and awards for effective or inspiring collaboration.

Again, private message me, or send emails to gdwtaylor/gmail. Or, let me know about your interest here in this thread!
Re: Gauging Interest: A Creative-Collaborative-C...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:40:16 pm »
I've clarified this elsewhere; I'm not looking for commitments at the moment, or skill sets or otherwise. This here is the concept, and I'm gauging interest in the concept. People are welcome to ask questions, voice general interest in the idea, or interest in helping to flesh it out, and we'll talk.  XD  This competition won't be happening until next summer at the earliest.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:45:07 pm by Nabeshin »
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:08:16 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Will the teams be generated on a purely random basis, or will skill sets contribute to the way teams are built in some way?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:41:00 pm »
We'll make sure teams don't have too much overlap in skill sets, but it'll be random other than that. I'd imagine that this round will include a lot of programmers and people who are already interested in game design, and a lot of conventional games as a result, so avoiding overlap will be important.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 45 queries.