Resources > Coding

GBA Minish Cap Coding

<< < (11/11)

thestig:

--- Quote from: Antidote on September 01, 2012, 06:31:08 pm ---It's not actually a variant, it's similar to the Z80 however.

http://marc.rawer.de/Gameboy/Docs/GBCPUman.pdf

--- End quote ---
Ah, well even then the same concept applies. It's too slow to run C code. ;p Sorry for derailing your topic, I'm gonna stop talking now lol.

4Sword:

I haven't started writing up a tutorial for the sprite system implementation I am using, mainly because recent progress has redefined aspects of that system. As mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted the animation rate to be slightly slower as well as for there to be irregular animation patterns like blinking. This small recent update does that - and thus fully encapsulates the Link normal state of walking and standing. Link now blinks after some time has gone by (instead of all the time) and animates at a closer rate compared to the GBA (using multiples of 24 so that image incrementing can be done at rates of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, and 24). I also separated out animation graphical elements from the object struct - this will be useful when wanting to have something like an animating shadow)

There are many things that still need to be added to the sprite system like multiple object graphic memory support, simple sprite scaling, and translucency.

But yeah, the attached source code contains the improved and irregular animation rates (with a non-black background so that it's easier to see). I added back the ability for Link to move around and change palette with L and R so that the .gba is like a quick walking engine but meh, still working towards backgrounds and reapplying the view code.

DanTheMan:
*is 3 months late*

I tried the demo, and it's quite good!  Especially when coded in pure C.  The best I ever did was https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59972490/GBAandDS/Update2.gba and https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59972490/GBAandDS/Update1.gba , all of which using modes 3 and 4 without even attempting to work with the GBA's sprite/background capabilities.

4Sword:
What is up you all? I have been busy with work to where I haven't had much time to work on this, and it doesn't help I took a detour and decided to do a little web-design for a related site for it. I still have to figure out some of the PHP, SQL, and Javascript/jQuery stuff to go with it as well as redesigning SMF elements to be more appealing (not to mention fixing gradients to be more dithered and less banded) - but I like what I have going so far. Eventually I plan on creating some tutorials/templates and having a resource system that would help beginners with learning how to code for the GB/GBC/GBA. It's a long-term project that should gives me something to practice web development and a lot of C programming.

The below preview image is just a prototype in progress but I intend to get further with it:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/4Sword/gbgThemeX.png

4Sword:
It has been a while since I have done anything with this but I cleaned up some of my code. I would have liked to fully flesh out the "depth" system so that it works more similarly to Game Maker depth-setting but this likely requires building the OBJ_ATTR all_pieces array I have via a sorting algorithm. Additionally though, I "simplified" the sprite animation such that I no longer separate out what I considered normal animations (e.g., 1 image displaying for 4 frames, next image displaying for 4 frames) and special animations (e.g., 1 image displaying for 4 frames, next image displaying for 48 frames) - instead they are all handled as special animations (it uses more space but functionally it should be faster). I also broke up non-loaded images (basically sprites that are preloaded into memory) from sprites to avoid checking on each draw if the image was preloaded or not. The sprite system also only initializes the pieces which had been used previously instead of reinitializing every piece.

Major changes:
- beginnings of a room system
- a palette swapping system
- an object system with dynamic memory allocation
- a more efficient sprite system
- some fancy bit-manipulations

code is attached!

Edit: I've removed the source code attachment due to it getting downloaded at least 16 times by other people with no feedback or thank you comment whatsoever - considering the same with my Pokemon Engine for the same reason. I'm still working on aspects of this (namely collision detections and HUD currently) and will post that at some point later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version