Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dear Valve  (Read 6587 times)

Dear Valve
« on: March 05, 2010, 06:49:28 pm »
Re: Dear Valve
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »
I was really hoping for Episode 3.  Damn you, Valve!  Oh well.  This is good too, just not as good.

under the alias DarkLink6235
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:06:04 pm »
I was really hoping for Episode 3.  Damn you, Valve!  Oh well.  This is good too, just not as good.

Not really, The first one was good as a gimmick, gameplay was fun and all that but it wasn't to be taken serious. Theres no need for a sequel.

I'm gonna claim it, We'll hear about TF3 and L4D3 before we hear anything at all about Ep3.

As much as I like Valves games, I hate the company >_>
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 04:01:12 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I'm actually looking forward to Portal 2 as much as or more than Ep3. I hate it when people say "There's no need for a sequel" about any great game, because more often than not the sequel is an excellent product with a great continuation of the story and great building off of the original game's mechanics, and I'm especially expecting such from Valve, who consistently make quality games.

EDIT: Not to mention that Valve has different teams to work on their different games. Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 did absolutely nothing to Episode 3.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:18:56 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
EDIT: Not to mention that Valve has different teams to work on their different games. Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 did absolutely nothing to Episode 3.

Except you know; funding and other corporate resources <_<
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:40 am »
I'm actually looking forward to Portal 2 as much as or more than Ep3. I hate it when people say "There's no need for a sequel" about any great game, because more often than not the sequel is an excellent product with a great continuation of the story and great building off of the original game's mechanics, and I'm especially expecting such from Valve, who consistently make quality games.
Why are you looking forward to a game that will be pretty much more of the same just with another story craply tacked on?

And there is no need for a sequel, at all. Give me one good reason why there should be a Portal 2 and no Half-Life 2 Episode 3. And if your excuse is "because it's great" then don't bother.

Well apparantly it did...
Episode 1 was released in 2006
Episode 2 was released in 2007
We're in 2010 and still not even an announcement as far as episode 3 is concerned. So Valve may have different teams, but they are completely incompetent in using them...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:53:58 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Portal's one of those games where the story is complete as is.

Start to finish. You don't need any more story.

If they wanted to make "more" portal, they should have added test chamber packs and expand the middle of the already fine-the-way-it-is story.

Honestly; what more story do you need aside from "you wake up and need to escape" to "you escape". Trying to add more to that just makes it a mess of a story like another Valve game I know of... OH YEAH. Half Life.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:04:38 am »
I never really liked the games from Valve. I think Half Life actually sucks. I also notive that for a great deal of people real games are games that you blow stuff up, have a lot of blood and gore and have photo-realistic graphics. The rest are just gimmicks, which I think is pretty much retarded way of considering games.

But back on-topic. Here is a small question. Maybe the reason for no HL2 Ep3 announcement is because they are not making an HL2 Ep3? Maybe they are working on HL3?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:14:26 am »
I never really liked the games from Valve. I think Half Life actually sucks. I also notive that for a great deal of people real games are games that you blow stuff up, have a lot of blood and gore and have photo-realistic graphics. The rest are just gimmicks, which I think is pretty much retarded way of considering games.
But it is gimmicky game play, doesn't mean it's bad or anything.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:21:29 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
But back on-topic. Here is a small question. Maybe the reason for no HL2 Ep3 announcement is because they are not making an HL2 Ep3? Maybe they are working on HL3?

Nah; it's been announced (ages ago), just never shown. No screens, story, etc.

You'd have to play the HL2 episodes to really understand why there's an Ep3, and why it's not just "HL3"
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 10:27:25 am »
Ah well,  I haven't played them. So I don't know.

I know it doesn't have to be bad, but I don't think game paly is gimmicky when an entire game longer than an hour is based on it. Then you can pretty much call any gameplay gimmicky.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 10:30:23 am »
Ah well,  I haven't played them. So I don't know.

I know it doesn't have to be bad, but I don't think game paly is gimmicky when an entire game longer than an hour is based on it. Then you can pretty much call any gameplay gimmicky.

Yeah but it was only longer then an hour by about 15 minutes :P

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:39:18 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ehh I really only see things as gimmicky if they're just thrown in at random. For example, Spirit Track's Spirit Pipes. Portal's entire game structure is based on that gun, so it doesn't feel too gimmicky to me anyway.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 02:29:53 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Fallout didn't *need* Fallout 2.
Half-Life didn't *need* Half-Life 2
Final Fantasy didn't *need* Final Fantasy 2.

Good games don't need sequels. Sequels aren't the same game, they're your chance to see the same basic mechanics but more awesome, and with more features that maybe they couldn't have put in the first time around, that's the basic idea behind it. Sometimes you just love something so much you don't want it to stop, but you can only play through the same level so many times. Sequels tend to get more funding as well.

Nowadays admittedly there is a trend towards epic trilogies of games and such (Assassin's parkour, Mass Effect), but even these have changes and try and build on what came before. They try to take the good from the previous, and discard the bad. Assassin's parkour 2 tried to make the game less repetitive than the original, Mass Effect 2 was inspired more by later Sci-Fi, which was much more darker and edgier (a point loads of people miss when they compare the two -_-).

Portal was a quirky, fun 3-and-a-bit hour gravity-and-portal puzzle-fest. So long as they keep the sequel using that same basic mechanic but maybe with a few new, interesting features, and of course new levels and so-forth, it'll be awesome.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:37:38 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 02:46:57 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Thank you TheDarkJay. They've also already said that Portal 2 will have new gameplay mechanics, so I don't see why you're all "It'll just be portal again, they should have just released level packs durr"
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 02:57:52 pm »
Good games don't need sequels. Sequels aren't the same game, they're your chance to see the same basic mechanics but more awesome, and with more features that maybe they couldn't have put in the first time around, that's the basic idea behind it. Sometimes you just love something so much you don't want it to stop, but you can only play through the same level so many times. Sequels tend to get more funding as well.
The difference is, those games were all story driven. Portal was just a little gimmick with a story tacked on. And a game would need a sequel in order to carry on the story (Shenmue for example).

Portal was a quirky, fun 3-and-a-bit hour gravity-and-portal puzzle-fest. So long as they keep the sequel using that same basic mechanic but maybe with a few new, interesting features, and of course new levels and so-forth, it'll be awesome.
Or they could stop !@#$% about and actually give the fan base what they want. Half Life 2 Episode 3.

A lot of the forums I've been browsing about this announcement are full of people who couldn't care less about Portal 2 because they all just want Ep 3. The only people that are getting really excited over this annoucement are Valve fanboys it seems.

Thank you TheDarkJay. They've also already said that Portal 2 will have new gameplay mechanics, so I don't see why you're all "It'll just be portal again, they should have just released level packs durr"

Except that's not what I'm on about so...no.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 03:04:14 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Why are you looking forward to a game that will be pretty much more of the same just with another story craply tacked on?
If they wanted to make "more" portal, they should have added test chamber packs and expand the middle of the already fine-the-way-it-is story.

not just you, but your side's argument in general.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 03:05:40 pm »

not just you, but your side's argument in general.

Oh so you quote up my throw away statement and ignore my actual argument? ...
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 03:10:24 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Your "actual argument" was actually a posed question:

And there is no need for a sequel, at all. Give me one good reason why there should be a Portal 2 and no Half-Life 2 Episode 3. And if your excuse is "because it's great" then don't bother.

I never said there should be a Portal 2 and no Episode 3, but if you want my "excuse" then fine, here it is: Portal's gameplay was more fun and more innovative, and I found Portal's story more enthralling and intriguing than Half Life's. Not that I'm in any way knocking Half-Life, because I think they're excellent games with excellent stories, but Portal is hands down my favorite game of all time.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »
I never said there should be a Portal 2 and no Episode 3, but if you want my "excuse" then fine, here it is: Portal's gameplay was more fun and more innovative, and I found Portal's story more enthralling and intriguing than Half Life's. Not that I'm in any way knocking Half-Life, because I think they're excellent games with excellent stories, but Portal is hands down my favorite game of all time.

You found Portals story more entralling then Half-Life's? ... You were captivated by "Wake up in Cell, use portal gun to escape"?

I know it's a matter of opinion and what not but... I mean that's like being captivated by Spot the Dog as opposed to something along the lines of Lord of the Rings...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 1.655 seconds with 77 queries.