Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463571 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance
« Reply #560 on: March 10, 2012, 11:47:57 am »
Looking very good. Murray seems like a great character, can't wait to see how much more involved with the dungeon he will be. Theforeshadower showcased  some of the basic functionality of the game well. Laughed a bit when that Stalfos dropped down and cruelly killed him off. The dungeon IS pretty difficult. From the video, the pot throwing looks like it's implemented decently. A question, does the sword allow for rapid button pressing like the original? I know the sword in the HOB demos I played previously didn't behave like the original LTTP. I liked that aspect when I played LTTP, and for me at least, it doesn't quite have the feel of LTTP without it.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #561 on: March 10, 2012, 12:22:47 pm »
How to implement Murray into the gameplay is something I am still pondering on. Currently his function is to add some flavour text to the start of each area and to indicate if you have all the needed items to complete said areas. For instance, if you need the book of Mudora to fully complete a dungeon but you do not have it, then he will make a comment like "I don't know. You look pretty weak for this place. Well, whatever. I could use a partner to haunt together with". Something subtle like that. If you do have all the needed items he'll just tell you to get a move on already. There are currently no concrete plans for Murray in the actual gameplay.

I'm kinda glad you find the dungeon difficult. I don't wanna be the guy, if you catch my drift, but I do want it to be challenging where heart and fairy placements matter. The original was no walk in the park either (for me anyway). For the next release I hope to have to people playtest the game beforehand to tweak the difficulty. Also, there is now a save feature. That should help a lot in cutting the difficulty / frustration.

No button mashing sword swing implemented yet, but I'll take another look at the suggestion.

EDIT: Removed the restrictions on reactivating a sword swing while already swinging your sword. Well, mostly. I still made it so you can't do the same action instantly after the last to prevent it from becoming too ridicules how fast Link is moving. Just keep in mind that a reswing cancels your earlier swing, meaning your animation will not finish and there will be a blind spot where the end of your strike would reach. The original also has this, but covered it up better due to a higher framerate / faster swing animation. But yeah, mash all you want during the next demo Xfixium.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:42:46 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »
Latest progress made:

0.12.98 (27 februari)
+ Finished the boss (re)entrance scenes
+ Added boss styled death animations

0.12.99 (3 maart)
+ Added a crude titlescreen to the game
+ Added text to some more statues
+ Fixed new glitch when dying enemies fly across the room
+ Tweaked Eyegore chase distance and he will now turn to stone again if chasing for too long
+ Fixed small issue with the Ether Magic sprite
+ Updated the text engine for use in the intro sequence

0.12.101 (4 maart)
+ Further adjusted the text engine for use in the intro sequence
+ Started work on a title intro sequence

0.12.102 (10 maart)
+ Finished the titlescreen and intro sequence

0.12.103 (10 maart)
+ Fixed error when you press action instantly after picking up a container
+ Added button mash sword attack
+ Boss now drops a collectable full heart container

0.12.104 (11 maart)
+ Tweaked title sequence
+ Restored various corrupt resources (caused by failing USB stick)
+ Edited enemy / boss hurt colors
+ Edited boss style death animation
+ Started work on collection animation dungeon treasure(s)
« Reply #563 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:27 am »
Wow! Its like you're a one man machine!
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #564 on: March 18, 2012, 10:09:12 pm »
Latest progress made:

0.12.105 (15 maart)
+ Finished work on collection animation of dungeon treasure(s)

0.12.106 (17 maart)
+ Finished "Defeat boss" scene
+ Tweaked "Boss entrance" scenes
+ Tweaked action: collecting (dungeon) treasure
+ Started work on the "End dungeon scene"

0.12.107 (18 maart)
+ Worked on some basic (AI) mechanics for the boss
+ Tweaked boss death hurt/death colors (again)

Again, another recap of what is left to finish before the next demo:
Checklist for dungeon 1:
- Building the boss fight and scenes
   > Boss entrance scene
   > Boss fight
   > Boss exit scene --> now finished
- Dungeon ending scene
- Adding text to all the statues in the dungeon (to add some light lore)
- Adding the boomerang(s)
- Adding hit switches
- Adding skeletons with bows (that jump out of the way)
- Tweaking the collectable fairies
- Editing the magic usage system
- Building a new depth system (!)
- Going through the all the rooms in entire dungeon (with testers) to tweak things like item/enemy placement and check performance.

Some feedback from the NFGC:
- Add a titlescreen <-- now finished
- Add title intro scene <-- now finished

For the second dungeon I want to:
- Add (moving) spikes <-- abandoned the idea for the next demo
- Add more enemies: Sandman, Leevers <-- abandoned the idea for the next demo
- Design and implement various more desert dungeon rooms
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2012, 04:21:50 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUWcOMS1nA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUWcOMS1nA</a>

New video.  Um the beginning part has me opening the menu alot as I was trying to figure out the unlock everything button.  I show case some various items, start of the new dungeon, and take the short video straight to end of the dungeon.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #566 on: March 20, 2012, 01:00:33 am »
  • In the deepest reaches...
Holy cow. This is absolutely incredible! The amount of detail and effort that has gone into this so far is astounding! I read bits and pieces, and your "minor updates" every week or so are massive! The system looks completely sound and as good if not better than the original LTTP engine! The original aspects, like the chain ball miniboss, those pieces of work are just fantastic. I'm just completely blown away by the level of care and determination you seem to have for this. Well done  :)
« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:23 pm »
There seem to be no animation for the Quake Medallion. This has to be fixed.
Games that I support:

« Reply #568 on: March 21, 2012, 06:45:42 am »
@DarkHearts: Thanks. Those type of comments always give me more energy to keep going :)
@ RetroRespecter: The quake medallion is indeed not finished. I am having trouble understanding the sprites of the purple quake effect. How there should be stored, randomly generated and drawn. No worries though. I do plan to crack the puzzle before the next dungeon. Either that or I'll create a close resemblance.
« Reply #569 on: March 31, 2012, 09:01:07 am »
Hello all. I have got some great news. I've gotten some collegeas to finally help me out with my game and we've been working really hard pretty much all week (them mainly testing and helping a little with the coding) and we are on the verge of releasing a new demo. What's left right now is the depthsystem and some small glitches, but that shouldn't take too long. I'll see when we can get it finished. Here is the progress update:

0.12.108 (24 maart)
+ Worked a little on the boss again
+ Fixed glitch: cannonball incorrect reactivation in room 2
+ Fixed glitch: positioning collision reject effect
+ Fixed glitch: no crashing into walls after you get pushed back through a rejected attack

0.12.109 (25 maart)
+ The cannonballs at the start of the dungeon stop as you unlock the basement
+ Fixed glitch: Eyegore first encounter failing to following
+ Added a short delay before Eyegore opens it's eye

0.12.110 (25 maart)
+ Started work on a new item: default boomerang
+ Started work on a new enemy: skeleton with bow

0.12.111 (26 maart)
+ Finished new item: boomerang (default)
+ Fixed some glitches

0.12.112 (27 maart)
+ Worked on the quake medallion
+ Fixed issues with the flying fairies

0.12.113 (28 maart)
+ Worked on boss fight
+ Worked on ending scene
+ Finished new skeleton enemy

0.12.114 (29 maart)
+ Finished boss + boss entrance scene
+ Fixed various graphical glitches

0.12.115 (30 maart)
+ Finished quake medallion
+ Fixed glitch: throwing bushes
+ Fixed glitch: pauze while under shadows
+ Edited subboss fight
+ Finished dungeon endscene

0.12.116 (31 maart)
+ Fixed glitch: when collecting important items (like the dungeon treasure) using the hookshot
+ Edited: high level swords can't break light rocks anymore
+ Added + implemented hitswitches

EDIT:
And here are some new screenshots for good measure before I get back to coding:

EDIT2:
Excellent progress made today. I'll release the demo first thing tomorrow (I'm tired now).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:28:37 pm by Martijn dh »
Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance [Demo 0...
« Reply #570 on: March 31, 2012, 11:47:38 pm »
I can't wait to try you new demo.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:15:27 pm by RetroRespecter »
Games that I support:

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance [Demo 0...
« Reply #571 on: April 01, 2012, 05:51:58 am »
And here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?33mqj0gomrxggc1

Like I said in my earlier post: some colleagues agreed to help me out and together we were able to do a massive amount of work this past week. Well, I did take a couple of days off just to finish it. You all have been waiting on it for so long now. Couldn't have you wait even longer now could I?

Please enjoy! And look forward to my eventual future work as well.
Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance [DEMO 0...
« Reply #572 on: April 01, 2012, 09:34:25 am »
Sorry to say this, but so far the demo is pretty crap.

You post how you've fixed all these glitches, but really it doesn't seem like it at all.

- The boomerang's animation is horrible and glitches into the enemies a lot making the boomerang unusable.

- The statue on the second screen doesn't even have any text at all, it's only the 2nd screen of the dungeon and you already didn't put any text, come on man it's basic !@#$%.

- In the 5th room of the dungeon you have 2 of those annoying ass skeleton archer guys, except i can't seem to actually kill them. I think you !@#$% up their hit box's or something.

Not trying to be offensive or anything, but it seems like you should of spent more time perfecting the demo. Messed up Hitbox's, Horrible animations, missing text, tile glitches in the boss room.

- Not sure what's suppose to happen, but the demo glitch's as soon as i grab the quake medallion and the cutscene happens, right after the cutscene i can't even move.

- The sub boss, really, you had to use that as a subboss? It was a joke, i was able to beat the damn thing without even getting hit. You've played all these zelda games and you couldn't even make a subboss worthy of actually being a boss at all?

« Reply #573 on: April 01, 2012, 09:49:52 am »
This might sound weird, but thank you for the feedback. Even this I can use. (You do make it sound pretty bad though). It is my birthday today so I can't spend too much time on fixing things. Though I'd like to. I'll see what I can be done.

Also I do realise this demo might not be up to exact same level of quality you might be accustomed from me from the past, but that is kind of the tradeoff for rushing it a little at the end there I guess.
« Reply #574 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14:20 am »
This might sound weird, but thank you for the feedback. Even this I can use. (You do make it sound pretty bad though). It is my birthday today so I can't spend too much time on fixing things. Though I'd like to. I'll see what I can be done.

Also I do realise this demo might not be up to exact same level of quality you might be accustomed from me from the past, but that is kind of the tradeoff for rushing it a little at the end there I guess.

Sorry to say, but the demo just isn't up to snuff for how long you've worked on it.

Edited my post because i realized i was being a little too mean to you over the demo, sorry. I really shouldn't have gotten so pissed at you about the demo.

The truth is, while the demo does have some issues, it's really not that bad. I can tell you at least put a good amount of work into it. I just hope that for the next demo you spend a little more time testing it before releasing it to the public.

I fought the dungeon boss. It's actually a lot harder compared to the subboss of the demo. The Subboss was a pushover, and the dungeon boss takes way too many hits to kill. Also a lot of Zelda bosses usually have patterns, your boss doesn't really have a pattern, it just seems to do it's attacks and movements randomly. You should probably be a little more consistent with enemy difficulty. Having a pushover of a subboss, then having the main dungeon boss be hard as hell doesn't help with difficulty.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:01:45 am by FISSURE »

« Reply #575 on: April 01, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »
FISSURE please watch your language, when giving constructive criticism. You don't need to antagonize Martijn, it will only lead to drama.

Martijn, I downloaded your demo and I must say that my first impressions are okay. It is not as bad as FISSURE made it out to be. I did nearly die at the subboss, while the final boss was an okay challenge. The boomerang is a bit jittery though. It is something you need to look at. For the rest it was a good play. Except for that room with all those hardhat beetles that you need to knock of the platforms. Some noticable slowdown in the framerate.

Keep up the good work.
« Reply #576 on: April 01, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »
Thank you for your post Niek.
I know this demo is not perfect, but from what I can tell the only problems encountered have to do with the most recent changes. Normally I'd be all over it already, but it's been a busy day so it will have to wait till tomorrow. Also, getting the difficulty right is kinda hard. While the game plays fine for me it may be unplayable for others. If anybody wants to help me out through playtesting and giving me feedback on things like enemy stats / placements be sure to send me a message.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #577 on: April 01, 2012, 07:46:34 pm »
AI can be difficult because, as the developer, you already know how they work and what you can to do take advantage of the system. You will definitely want playtesters.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #578 on: April 01, 2012, 08:06:27 pm »
FISSURE please watch your language, when giving constructive criticism. You don't need to antagonize Martijn, it will only lead to drama.

Martijn, I downloaded your demo and I must say that my first impressions are okay. It is not as bad as FISSURE made it out to be. I did nearly die at the subboss, while the final boss was an okay challenge. The boomerang is a bit jittery though. It is something you need to look at. For the rest it was a good play. Except for that room with all those hardhat beetles that you need to knock of the platforms. Some noticable slowdown in the framerate.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah i realize that now, like i said, sorry about that. I was just annoyed, i didn't mean to take it out on him. But the enemy difficulty really does take a sharp turn, no clue how you almost died on the subboss and then had an easy time on the dungeon boss.

« Reply #579 on: April 01, 2012, 08:12:56 pm »
I didn't think the enemy difficulty in the new demo was really that bad - if anything it just made it more challenging increasing its replay value. A lot of the time people forget that A Link to the Past was a difficult game and given that this game is in its style, one should expect that. If anything the sub-boss being difficult probably made the real-boss easier to handle because it taught you how not to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 74 queries.

anything