Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: [ABANDONED - All data released] Spirit's Quest  (Read 49910 times)

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit's Quest
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2011, 06:23:39 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
The muck-type has been successfully coded! XD

In muck, Link cannot jump, he sinks very gradually, and his movement is slowed down a good amount. Furthermore, if Link sinks down in muck half his body height, his x movement slows down even more (makes sense and feels great imo). The only escape from muck is to exit via a slope. It's wondrous!
Of course, Link will run out of air if he is under too long, but the air meter is not coded yet (probably will get done when Link is able to die, heh heh >:3 ).

I've also updated the first post and made it easier to see what has been updated lately, and the "steps of development" section has been updated to give a good idea on what's coming soon.

(p.s. yes, I have noticed that I use parentheses far too much and that I can barely make a single post without using them. no one is perfect)
  • My Music
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:35 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Took a little bit longer than expected but I now have the climbable-type coded in. I fooled around a bit with how and what I wanted Link to climb and even if it would benefit gameplay at all or if it would simply be a gimmick or something that would get in the way of making the game fun. I decided that ladders and such will probably be used sparingly and will most likely show up in puzzles most of the time as opposed to intense battle areas.

Anyway, the PaC Engine is practically done, I just need to test this thing to pieces and revise code, yadda yadda, etc etc. It may take a bit because I want to be sure this is solid before moving on.

If things go as well as I'm hoping, the project should be moved on to the next stage by the start of next month (1 week from now), where we will see the game begin to take steps graphically with the HUD and Link's animations, and possibly a few new tiles. 8)

EDIT:
Not worth making a new post, but I found and fixed a couple small glitches after LOTS of testing. Now I'm just revising and cleaning up code and comments. So, not too much longer before I start making the HUD.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:52:20 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2011, 07:14:32 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
... If things go as well as I'm hoping, the project should be moved on to the next stage by the start of next month (1 week from now), where we will see the game begin to take steps graphically with the HUD and Link's animations, and possibly a few new tiles. 8)

Yeah, had the hopes but didn't quite get there. But hey, I found some more glitches I missed.

First thing I found is that, when jumping up through the stairs, the player will add the y value to climb the stairs as well as the y value for jumping, which creates a sort of jerk upward. I know what the issue is and I think I know how to fix this. There is another problem with the 22.5 and 45 degree ice slopes. The 22.5 degree slopes have inconsistencies in speed. Again, I know how what the issue is, I just have to work on how to fix it. I also noticed that the player would sometimes increase speed while walking up an icey slope, which feels completely wrong. That's sort of linked to the 22.5 degree slope inconsistency, and it should be fixed when I fix that issue. So really there are only 2 more problems found.

It may suck that there are more problems being found, but it also means that the engine is becoming more and more solid as I find and fix them. And that means less hindrances down the line when the game really gets going. Also, it's best to fix problems early on, because it can get harder to find the problem when there is more content to consider. I gotta confess that I really wanted to just save the issues for later and move on, but it'd only bite me in the butt later on.

Also, the project is expected to slow down a bit because work is picking up (more hours) and I found a new synth plugin in Sonar and I just can't put it down. Also, I just got a stock of 36 dunlop nylon picks, 3 sets of ernie ball regular slinky strings, cleaning stuff for my guitar's fretboard and polish for the body, some stuff to make the strings slick and to preserve them a bit, etc, and I'm expecting to get a super sick multi-effects pedal soon:
Zoom G9.2tt Twin Tube Guitar Effects Console
After that, I'm also looking into getting a set of mixing speakers because I finally have the moolah, then my studio is DONE and ready to go! So yeah, I'm officially musically stoked right now. So I'll probably be doing a lot more music than programming in my free time. Just wanted to let everyone know that, if progress slows down a lot, that is why. But I'll probably make a music topic on here somewhere to show some of the stuff I come up with if anyone is interested.

So the Spirit's Quest project is still going, just not as fast as I thought it would.
  • My Music
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »
Don't stress man, it's great that you're even continuing this and providing interesting updates :)
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
This is a unique spin on The Legend of Zelda. I hope for the best.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2011, 08:14:57 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
This is a unique spin on The Legend of Zelda. I hope for the best.
Thanks, I also hope for the best. ^_^

Alrighty, so awhile ago I somehow posted a new topic in a part of the old zfgc forum "community speak", which seems to be gone. No idea how I did that... anyway, I pretty much just said that I now have three jobs and it's even harder to find time for this than when I had the one job. D: I also said that I was probably going to have to leave ZFGC for a while because of my work schedule... BUT I JUST CAN'T LEAVE! Even though I'm insanely-busy, I'm determined to make this game happen.

Fact: ZFGC will never truly let you leave. What's that? You think you're leaving? HA HA HA! How naive you are! ... ahem..

Anyway, TIME FOR AN UPDATE!!! I paused the game's dev a few months ago when I couldn't fix the stair climbing bug (grr), but I just picked up the project again today and I fixed the stairs. WHOOO! This means that I just need to fix the ice speed issue. I don't expect to see any more glitches besides that one because I have been testing this over and over again and I've gone through the code multiple times. If I'm right, then that means I have just one more bug to fix and I can continue where I left off a few months ago. Yes, FINALLY.

So until next time!
  • My Music
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2011, 10:55:46 am »
Jup. Tinkering with gamemaker is like an addiction. The urge to build and create will never let go.
Good thing too, because this is a project I'd actually like to play when finished.
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2011, 04:04:44 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Well it looks like I finally get to move on because I've fixed the ice movement; everything seems to be in order with the PaC Engine. It seemed like I'd never get it done!
I almost regret going beyond Cave Story's physics and collisions with the ice and stairs, but I'm really glad I got them to work.

I'm now figuring out all the actions of Link, items, types of things Link will interact with (e.g. doors), and the button assignments for those things. This will give me the information that will let me know how to go about designing the HUD.
  • My Music
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2011, 02:18:40 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Great!  It is good to hear that you will still be around.  It was sad to think even for a short time that this project had stopped.  You are right though.  Nobody will ever truly be free from ZFGC or game maker.  Progress sounds very good too.  Keep it up!
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2011, 08:34:24 am »
I'm never going to let you forget about this you know :P, I don't care if it takes 10 years or more to make >:D
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2011, 06:23:24 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I've figured out all the actions Link will be able to perform which has allowed me to complete the HUD design. So I'm going to show you all my mock-up of what I think is a pretty good looking HUD.

With non-transparent background:

With transparent background:

It's probably obvious but the top-left is the HP and MP. The bottom-left shows keys and rupees. The top-middle shows what action Link is able to take by pressing the "action" button. And finally the top-right shows Link's equipped item and Sprite's equipped item.
I would also like to note that the action notifier is not always there; it only appears when Link can do something such as grab a block, open a chest, kick an old man, etc.

The HUD will most likely go through some minor graphical changes in the future (probably the top-left HP and MP icons will be slightly bigger, also all the text outlining will match each other), but this is the layout I'm sticking with (unless someone gives me reason to reconsider).
I would love opinions. Do you think it's good or does it still need work? Would you keep it the same or would you want to see something changed?

EDIT:
Oh I almost forgot to say thank you Bludleef (I think) for moving this to the Zelda Projects section. ;3
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:38:19 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2011, 03:58:11 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
I like I like.  It looks very fitting for the style which is always good.  Can I ask if there is a difference between the bars and the blocks in the upper left corner.  Why both, or do they display differing information?  Or are you deciding between the two?
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2011, 06:40:59 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
...  Can I ask if there is a difference between the bars and the blocks in the upper left corner.  Why both, or do they display differing information?  Or are you deciding between the two?

Come to think of it, I guess I should revise that a bit. What I was doing is this:
The number and the bar beside it show the exact same thing, which is how much HP/MP is left of the highlighted block (i.e. heart container or magic container). I felt like I needed both because a simple bar wouldn't be precise enough for the player to know exactly how much HP or MP they have, and the player MUST KNOW. And the number by itself just seemed tacky somehow, and I had trouble making sure it was obvious what the number was for. I can definitely see the design I came up with needs work though.

The problem I'm having is that one Heart Container = 20 HP and one Magic Container = 10 MP, so I can't have the usual hearts that are split up in 4 quarters and magic also needs some kind of number and/or bar. And they all can't be a huge bar either because that would take up too much space (and it'd look horrid).
I definitely do need to revise that, thanks for pointing that out. I think I might have some ideas, so I'm going to rework the HUD a bit more, especially since I will need the HUD finalized very soon anyway.

Btw, I'm planning out a lot of things in the background right now, prepping myself for putting Link's animations together. There is a lot to think about because, once the HUD design and functionality is complete, I will put all of my code together (i.e. camera code, physics and collisions code, and HUD code) and I will begin to add in Link's graphics and I will be programming his basic animations and actions. It's a big step because the game will really start to take some shape, and I'm really excited about that! ^,^ !!!
  • My Music
Re: [Screens] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit's Ques...
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2011, 08:57:16 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Alright, this is what the HUD looks like now:

I just changed the HP and MP and fixed up some minor shadow issues.

This is my current frame-by-frame idea on how the HP and MP will work/animate:

The idea here is that the next-up HP cube will merge itself with the bar, essentially emptying it's life from itself into the bar. As this is happening, the used cube makes it's way to the end of the line of HP cubes. Of course everything shifts toward the bar as this is happening.

I've attached a gif animation that better shows how it might look (for both losing and gaining HP).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this look/work better, I would love to hear them. I'm left feeling like it has something to be desired. It seems to work well enough though, so maybe it's just the perfectionist in me. If you guys like it, then I'll stick with it and continue on. I need opinions and thoughts though.

EDIT:
(putting up the attached animation here so you can all see it whether you're signed on or not)

EDIT (again, because I don't feel that this update is big enough for a triple-post :P):

I've decided to stick with the above HP animation. I've made very minor touches on the HUD design and it's now complete. I've recolored the HUD graphics with my custom palette that the game is using. I figured I might as well recolor now so I don't get mixed up later, wondering if I recolored certain things or not. That would suck. Anyway, I've just now separated the HUD graphics up into sprites and I'm ready to begin the HUD engine. This is the part where important variables start becoming quite numerous, so I'm also thinking about how I can keep things organized. Like, what variables will be saved in a save file and what ones don't need saving. I don't want to be unprepared because the game is going to start getting big and complex very fast. Planning and organization are key here.

If all goes well, I will post a new update when the HUD engine is complete (I might post an earlier update asking for opinions/testing). Though it might take longer than you'd think, because of all the preparation I'm going through. I just REALLY want to set this game up for success; no rushing.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:41:26 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2011, 10:05:21 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Wow, been a bit busier than I thought I would be, but I've found time to do some more work on the HUD. It's SO close to being finished. Here is an actual dev screenshot for you:

(graphics will be given a little more tlc after all the graphics come further along (the rupee icon especially bothers me))

The only thing that isn't programmed yet is the action notifier that pops up when Link is able to perform various actions according to his immediate surroundings (i.e. grab, pick up, climb, enter, open, etc).

I didn't go with the same style of animation for the HP and MP that I previously showed, but I do have "drain" animations in the bar for when HP/MP is lost. Also, when HP/MP is gained, the HP/MP bar flashes. It seems to look fine to me. That whole animation with the cubes shifting over was scrapped; it just didn't seem as good as this way.

Funny thing: The numbers are actually graphics, not a font. I couldn't find a font that worked and I had no idea how to make one, so I pretty much just used some of the same kind of simple formulas that a person would use to make their own basic calculator from scratch, and walla!

Btw, I learned how to save to a file and to encrypt it and also to decrypt the file and to load it back. So I'm set for that stuff later on, which is great.

I've got another long week of work ahead of me, so I'm not sure how much progress I'll make on this (if any) until the weekend comes along. But feel free to give me some C&C in the meantime. In fact, the more feedback, the better. :3
  • My Music
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »
Woot. Progress.

Creating fonts ended up begin somewhat easy when I added some in my own game. Eventually you'll want to add some text somewhere in your own game so learning it might be helpfull. Check out font_add_sprite(). Google it for more info. I remember there being some usefull gamemaker topics on the matter that are really really helpfull since you'll need to understand the order in which a font needs to be presented and such. Or just ask me or someone else on the forum for help if you need it.
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2011, 11:25:34 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
O,O !!! NICE!!! I had no idea Game Maker had that option! I'm going to recode and make my own font. THANKS SO MUCH! I'm stoked now because this is going to make my text box code far easier because I can keep things spaced properly.
  • My Music
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2011, 05:03:11 am »
Your welcome.
If you want any of the normal fonts used in alttp then let me know. I already created those and I don't mind sharing.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:08:46 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2011, 07:28:25 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
It's been over a month, so I wanted to give a project status update:
Nothing more has been done since the last update. I got sidetracked playing through Borderlands with a girl, ;3 then I got busy with life's responsibilities, but now it looks like I might get a chance to get back on this. The next step is to make my own font. I've read up on it and it seems pretty easy to do a sprite font in GM. Anyway, I'm working on finding a font that is easily readable at a size no bigger than 6x7. Then I will edit the font by adding outlines (with an outline added it would be at largest 8x9).

The sprite font will contain these characters:
(characters 32-96)  " !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`"
(characters 97-122) "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"

I may end up not using the lowercase characters (i.e. 97-122) because the font would probably need to be bigger than 6x7 for them to be easily readable. And a bigger size throws off my HUD. However, without lower case letters it's harder to give that extra bit of expression, so I'm going to try to get characters 32-122 as opposed to just 32-96.
  • My Music
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2011, 06:41:01 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Made the font, but I was trying to figure out a way to simply use a single image like the one attached and have game maker get the font just from that instead of making each letter an individual sub image. If no one has an idea how to do this, then is there an easy way to save this sheet as individual images? Is there a program for that? It would make life soooo nice, and it'd be super helpful for future sprite sheets (I just like doing sheets instead of tons of images bulking up my folders).

Spirit's Quest Font:

• My Music
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 78 queries.

anything