Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mask of the Gods  (Read 28202 times)

Re: [New Demo!] Mask of the Gods
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:48 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Like I said, I did a video. I'll put this in the first post, too:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edtwW_KR_u4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edtwW_KR_u4</a>

Anybody interested in this game yet?

Also, no offense to anybody in this forum because I really like it, but are there any other, more active, fangame boards? I'm sure there are, I just wondered if anybody had any recommendations? Especially for one that has some RPG Maker XP games, because this forum is mostly game maker, and I'm out of the loop. I completely plan to stay on this one too, though, because I like all the people here, everybody's pretty helpful.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 10:13:09 pm »
As for other gamemaking forums... there are at least:

http://www.creationasylum.net/
http://www.rpgrevolution.com/

...as far as I know. The screens are looking good, I like the speech bubble idea. My comp is stupid so I can't play the new demo.
Good work though, keep it up. I like RPG Maker too, though I haven't used it in 2 years ^^;
- Viewing at the moment: Project Runway [TV-series].
- Reading at the moment: Kuragehime [manga], Uncanny X-men issues 37 - 66 [comics].
- Listening to at the moment:
- Playing at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN], FFCC: Ring of Fates [NDS].
- Let's Play in-the-making at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN]
- Studying at the moment: University course "French, Preparatory Course" for a re-examination on subcourse "Grammar and Translation" in August, University course "Basic Course in the Humanities" for a re-examination on subcourse "The Concept of Culture" in August.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »
I've been busy working on improving the default forum theme and getting the forum to where it can be upgraded to SMF 2.0, but was looking over your topic a few times while examining the look of the current Display php file. Anyway, I really like the appearance of your game but thinking that the Minish Cap style or use of any style at screen resolutions larger than the original - well it seems a little sloppy. Otherwise I like the look of the characters and towns, and really think that it is cool you put up a YouTube video about your project.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 02:17:36 am »
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 03:50:38 pm »
Tried all three suggested links and none it really looks like a suitable alternative if your making a Zelda game. Ooh well.

Anyway, the new demo still requires you have some sort of file pre-installed it seems. The game still can't find RGSS102E.dll. Why not experiment a little with what additional file is needed for others and maybe include in your download.

Video looks good btw.
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 06:01:31 am »
  • It's just Max.
Thanks guys! I really appreciate you all trying to download my game, even if it hasn't been working.

Also, about the other forums, I think I'ma join the RPG Revolution one Eleo suggested (thanks!), as they seem the best bet for RPG Maker games, as the people there seem to develop on RMXP and will understand and be able to run that, although I like this as my main discussion place, since everybody here is already obsessed with Zelda. And I like checking and helping people on this forum, it's interesting.

The other thing about that forum is that I gave it a look and instantly found a way to  create a game file that doesn't require the files that are giving you guys problems, so I'll join there and investigate some more and then test it out. Hopefully I can get a demo up that people here can run soon, within this week, probably. There's a couple fixes that I wrote on a sticky note about dialogue, and I'm thinking about changing this stealth/sneaking part, because... it's kind of awkward. The guards can see only in a perfectly straight line further than you can, and it's a little bit too difficult. What I MAY do for the demo, is re-create this section, and when you enter it, give you a choice of easy/hard sneaking, so they can both be tested. My friend tried it, and he kept getting caught and got frustrated.

4Sword, thanks for the compliments! , especially about the look of the game, as that's just about my highest priority, so that you noticed that is a really good sign to me for where this is going.

About the resolution, though, RMXP runs at 32x32, but I want to use graphics designed for 16x16, because the previous versions of RPG Maker, which I learned and started developing graphics on some years ago, were 16x16, as well as minish cap and LTTP. As far as I know, there is no way to run it smaller, although if I find a way, I will try to include that option, as aesthetics are a very high priority for me, but... re-doing every tile used to so daunting that it would shut this game down.
Honestly, though, looking at graphics that size on a computer screen hurts my eyes. I downloaded the demo of the Shadowgazer, and I had to put my face right up close to the computer screen. I always zoom the screen to look at people's graphics, too. Must have bad eyesight... :P

Finally, I downloaded angry birds... production will be somewhat delayed.
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 04:49:42 pm »
I downloaded it and it works for me.
Games that I support:

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 04:27:03 am »
  • It's just Max.
Oh, well that's fantastic, actually? What do you think about it?

That demo working is all great, actually, because I've had two of my friends test play it, and they both agree that the beginning is very slow. SO, I've implimented a few ideas to make it more interesting, less plot-centric, more stuff to DO, rather than just watching.

1) When you press new game, there has been a 10-sec (approx) scene, then you walk down a hallway and into clock town to initiate more cutscenes. What I'm doing now is changing the hallway into a bit of a mini-dungeon. One room, but here's the problem I'm tackling:

as at this point in the game, you're playing as a different character than the two you play as for the actual part of the game. He has no set skills or weapons, so it'll either be a really basic mini-dungeon/room... or he could have his own weapons/skills (he is the king of a distant land). BUT WHICH SHOULD IT BE!?

2) On the horsecart ride to Ikana, there will be an attack by enemies. It will happen one of two ways:
   -the enemies will attack and you will stop the cart, get out, and fight.
   -you'll stand on top of the cart and shoot at the enemies running/flying alongside you.
BUT WHICH WAY IS BETTER?

I think the enemies will just be dangerous animals, since enemies with an agenda haven't show up or made sense, plotwise, at this point.

I'm also putting a better enemies room in the tech. demo, since I'm re-doing a large part of the enemy coding (setting it up so the enemy taking damage process is a common event, much easier to edit for SO MANY enemies... if you know RPG Maker, you know what I mean, I suppose). These factors mean that although I think I COULD put out a demo that everyone could play, it would be more valuable, as testing, to me if the demo release was delayed a number of days, perhaps a week as I'm really busy these days. Since if you play the demo now, the biggest complaint would probably be that it's too slow, which I already know.

Also, I borrowed my girlfriend's laptop permanently, so a lot more work can get done... once I have time to get ANY work done. College and a bunch of really volatile relationships amongst my friends has led to some days when I havn't done any work on this... this is the first time I've really been home since Sunday evening...

Anyways, if someone has an opinion about which of those options listed sounds more appealing, or reasons why, that will be really helpful in the demo process.

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 12:41:22 pm »
You mean you can't leave it as is?
Games that I support:

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:54 am »
  • It's just Max.
Leave what as it is? If you mean the lack of anything except story, tHen, well, I COULD leave the More active, playing the game parts out, but it does seem like a legitimate thing, the fact that there is nothing but story and cutscenes. Why do you think I should leave it?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 04:17:37 am »
  • It's just Max.
Hey!

FINALLY, sorry for the wait... if anybody's waiting, that is... BUT, the new version of the old demo has arrived. According to my sources, this should work for anybody, not just the people with RPG Maker XP's RTP. ALSO, I added a mini dungeon at the beginning, and a horse-cart mini game on the road to Ikana City. Hopefully, this will make the game more active, and less watching.

The demo can be downloaded at the first post, or, HERE:
Demo!

There are a couple really wierd glitches, which I will explain in the first post.

Screenshot of the horse mini-game:

The horse cart goes forward at a constant speed, but you can move it up and down along the screen to dodge the rocks. Ramming them results in a game over...

Also, I wanted to apologize for the wait for this demo. Time was taken up chiefly by two things:
1) The glitch where the fourth event created takes the place of a smashed pot. I still can't figure it out, how to fix it...

2) The scholarship I won came with an iPad, which can do netflix. So I decided it was worth my time to spend all the days I'm not at work watching every episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I've only got three episodes left! I'm so upset that it's ending! I've been so involved, spending like four hours a day watching it!...

so yeah, sorry for the delay. I said I could get it out by last week, and I could have... but I watched avatar instead. Sorry!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:31:34 am by Donotfeedthemax »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 03:19:15 pm »
Can I be brutally honest? I think you could do better on the horse cart graphics. I like the mini game idea though
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 06:15:42 pm »
One hit deaths generally aren't a lot of fun. Why not make it a drie hit death with added difficulty to level out the experience.
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:27 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Oh, I wasn't being that specific when I mentioned the boulders. I should have said, ramming them three times results in a game over. Unless I messed it up, which is possible as rpg maker has just been weird and I've been sick, so mistakes happen. The preventative measure for that, though, is that you are offered the option to save immediately before this, and... It's just not a very difficult mini game. It could be made more difficult, but it would take planning I didn't invest this time. I was thinking of reincorporating the mini game into the game later as either a mini game that you can be like, hey, I'll play, or as a repeat of the mechanic, more difficult, later in the plot. Like in twilight princess, how you battle that boar guy a bunch, but it gets harder each time.

Oh, but, what is a dire hit death?

As for the graphic, I agree, it could be better... I just don't know if I could make it better. What do you think it should look like, tetiro? I will give it a shot. :) and I always appreciate brutal honesty. It's the best way to know how to improve.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm still curious, though, did this demo work any better than the old one?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:47:12 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 06:21:27 pm »
  • It's just Max.
So, bad news, guys. That glitch that I mentioned about the fourth event appearing in the way... well, it's gotten worse. Now, whichever event I created fourth in each room appears in front of you every time you swing your sword, or use ANY weapon... I'm gonna have to get this worked out before I can continue on production, so... yeah, this might be a bit of a delay. I can't figure out what's CAUSING it, even... ugh. I'm doing as much as possible to fix this, though, so hopefully I can get this accomplished in a reasonable amount of time.

Great news! Glitch all fixed up, with help from some other guy named max. We've gotta stick together, us Maxs. Turns out the event checking if any enemies suffered damage whenever the sword was swung was also moving around event 4. I also fixed up the pot item dropping, in a major way. I'll have to go back and fix up past pots, but then everything will be good to go.

Question, though. Should I fix everything up and re-release the same demo, again, just the fixed up version (including a redeux of the first mini dungeon, it wasn't pretty enough and was a bit confusing), or should I fix it up and then go further in the plot before I do another demo? Does it matter? Does anybody play them?

Love feedback! Thanks to all you guys who've responded and helped me, martijn, king tetiro, retrospector, etc.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:07:25 am by Donotfeedthemax »
Mask of the Gods - Complete Act 1 Demo
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:46 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Sorry that this is the third post in a row, but great news, all my problems have been solved! Also, I made up the demo to be problem-less too! Haha, well, it probably still has a few glitches, but, you know. All the big ones are taken care of, and the demo completes what I would call act 1. All the players have been introduced, and a taste for the mechanics has been given. The technical demo has a couple things removed for repairs, well, basically, just the elegy of emptiness thing. That needs to be rethought.

Demo will be posted on the first page, but also, right here:
Download Link

Also, this being done, I've progressed to the Deku Swamp. Not too much done there so far, but I've got a screenshot anyway.

The octorock is because... I was testing the area as an octorock. I can be whatever I want, don't judge.

Also, the NCFC thingy looks like so much fun that I want to enter. Not to win, 'cause that's martijn's job, but I think it'd be fun. Anybody have any ideas about what to polish up before submission? I'm thinking of finishing Ikana City, making it hustle and bustle. Unfortunately, that means a bunch of NPC spriting... bleah.

I also don't know how well this will go with school starting back in two days, but, we'll see.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:03:26 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 02:18:40 am »
i watched a video it looks pretty good
Re: Mask of the Gods
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 10:31:39 pm »
At this rate, Mask of the Gods will be a full game in no time.
Games that I support:

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 04:03:19 am »
I like it, I also had a look at in in rmxp, good work :P Instead of using the typic textbox, make it display only the text, and then add a text box by showing a picture :P

I think this may look nicer :P  Use one colour palette. Its gonna look better in the end :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:28:53 am by masterpaul »
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 10:36:12 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Ahh! I started college!
It's lots of fun and I'm doing stuff, but guys, progress has been hit hard, having responsibilities to do all this homework is time consuming, and that's even without doing any of my math homework!

Retro, thanks so much for the support! But, as I mentioned, "this rate" was over the summer... Now I'm in school. I've been a bit frustrated with the lack of progress recently, so hopefully I can get onto my computer and take a chunk out this Friday. Right now, right here, I'm setting a goal for myself. Get Ikana city populated by Late October. Hopefully get a demo with Ikana City in for NCFC? That thing looks so fun.

Paul, that looks great, but it's just rather out of style for the Minish cap theme I'm going for, it looks a little RPG Maker 2003 ish. It does still look better than mine, though, the second, perspective one, anyway. Perhaps if I get some free time, I'll fuse them. I didn't think the horse cart was too bad, though, did you guys all think it looked weird? Was it THAT distracting from the game? Haha, I'll definitely change it. There are a number of graphics that are tentatively placeholders...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 77 queries.

anything