Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Death of ZFGC  (Read 14322 times)

Lunar

Former King
Death of ZFGC
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:12:04 am »
  • Video Games
Why is this place so dead? I've been looking at various dates and statistics regarding this forum, and it appears that around Mid-late 2010 posting activity greatly dropped. I've been visiting ZFGC off and on since it was first formed, and it's always been very active, with regular fluctuations. Did something happen in 2010 that made everybody leave? I've noticed a few people returning, such as myself and Porkchop, but we're going to need much more than that if we want to see ZFGC return to the glory days of old.

We need some kind of major project to bring the community together, and attract outside attention (or the attention of former members who have left). After all, "Zelda Fan Game" Central is hardly living up to its namesake if that isn't the primary focus. I'd suggest a name change, but what would we become? Just another generic Zelda Forum? That wouldn't do..

PS: I'm slowly delving into the world of Game Development, I might start working on a Zelda Game of my own. It would be fairly non-traditional as I'm not interested in just making the same old bland game that's been done in variations since Zelda Fan Game-making was popularized. Is there anyone who would be interested in working on a project with me, in any degree? It would happen in the future.
sup

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Death of ZFGC
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:35:52 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I think a lot of it has to do with lack of promotion... Back in the day when someone was working on a game, they'd post it on all of the game dev communities they also visit, and link back to this place. Now people work on projects in silence (I'm guilty of this too) and don't care to promote it. We have a few projects that could be promoted on other forums but it's up to the creators of them to do it :\

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »
  • b e p i s
Honestly, I think a lot of us have just grown out of fangaming, at least those of us who actually produced games reliably and regularly instead of just walking demos. There's no real solution to that. Life goes on.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »
  • Video Games
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

RIP ZFGC
2001(?) - 2011

sup

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49:47 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Honestly, I think a lot of us have just grown out of fangaming, at least those of us who actually produced games reliably and regularly instead of just walking demos. There's no real solution to that. Life goes on.

Basically this. I most certainly haven't cared much for them recently. Really, I'm here for the memories.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:39:44 pm »
Same here. I still have a project and a bunch of nice Zelda fangame !@#$% stored somewhere.

But yeah. I'm overall kind of done with Zelda and fangaming. But I still like visiting this place.  :)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:13:25 pm »
Reasons for my own lowered activity: working lots, working late, studying and having fun with the girlfriend.
Haven't grown out of fangames too much because it's a hobby. My personal guilty pleasure.

As a response to the first post. I agree that a cooperative project might do the forum some good.
I have been pondering on this one idea for a number of months now, which may or may not spark some interest. I've got an engine with a decent amount of features in it. Gmare is just released and it helps people to work together on a single game (to an extend). How about combining the two? Maybe it'd be fun if I'd give a group the opportunity to build something in Gmare which I'd in turn convert to my engine, as a standalone game. All that is currently present in the engine would be the available as a buildingblock. Just a thought. It'd need a further introduction obviously.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:06:55 pm »
I was wondering when the annual "zfgc is dead/dying" topic would come again.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!

Pretty much this. Along with this, a lot of people are growing out of fan gaming in general. More people are focusing on indie games now overall. Some places like Pokecommunity still seem alive and well (it's always been very well populated anyway), but not like it used to be. (nevermind that, it still seems to be more active than ever)

If there were a very decent fan game out there, I'd be more than interested, but (no offense to anyone), I just haven't seen anything that interesting, or anything that hasn't been done to death already. Shadowgazer looked amazing, but he turned to indie development instead, which further pushes my first point.

I don't think ZFGC will get much more attention even with advertising, and if it does, because of some big project, it'll be a bunch of kids coming and saying "WHEN WILL THIS GAME BE OUT?" "DOES IT COME OUT ON DS?" "IS IT BEING MADE BY NINTENDO?" "WILL NINTENDO PICK THIS UP?".

As for a community project, it won't work, and probably at this point, never will work. For reasons listed above mostly. It's already been attempted as well, and didn't turn out well.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:47:04 pm by Porkchop »
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
My project is still going, I'm on C++ now though, so the engine is the primary project.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 12:01:31 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
It is very sad that ZFGC is suffering this "depression".  The sad fact is that most of us still here have many responsibilities in life that make it difficult to keep the forum as active as it was in the past.  I know that for me at least I barely have time to work on the projects that I have here...  Though Ironically none of my current projects are zelda fan games anyway.  ***Sits on soap Box*** I think most of the modern gamers are heading in a different direction than what ZFGC has to offer...  It makes me feel old to say this, but modern games don't go very well with zelda games.  Think about it.  Even TP was an extremely watered down version of zelda.  Don't get me wrong.  I loved it graphically and it was still fun, but they took all of the thought out of playing it...  As long as you went to the crystal ball lady, and read text you could get everything without having to figure anything out yourself.  It is almost like watching a movie rather than thinking your way through a complex game... ***Gets off soap box***

In the end I too wish ZFGC was still active, but I just don't see a way to revitalize it with the modern society of gamers.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:07:21 am »
Reasons for my own lowered activity: working lots, working late, studying and having fun with the girlfriend.
Haven't grown out of fangames too much because it's a hobby. My personal guilty pleasure.

Also this, except replace working with SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL AND MORE SCHOOL. I'm keepin that god damn 4.2GPA though.

Anyways, hopefully I'll be able to start working on a project again soon. I've been really craving it.
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 01:25:24 am »
I was wondering when the annual "zfgc is dead/dying" topic would come again.
Hmm, I feel like I should say more but....

This. XD
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 10:10:54 am »
People have grown up. People got over developing, playing, and waiting for fan games.

Or I did, at least. I'm sure I speak for many, though.

I only come for mammy every now and then. Still think of him after all these years...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:04:05 am by AoDC »
the a o d c
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 10:44:29 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs</a>

Seems pretty relevant :)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 11:34:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I only come for mammy every now and then. Still think of him after all these years...

Everyone I sex up comes for me. That's how it works.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Wow, a drama topic.
I don't know, everytime ZFGC has had a silent phase things have always turned out good one way or another. I wouldn't worry too much. We just need a boost of somekind :P

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »
Wow, a drama topic.
I don't know, everytime ZFGC has had a silent phase things have always turned out good one way or another. I wouldn't worry too much. We just need a boost of somekind :P
We need a huge fan game again...or just a huge project in general.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 05:01:07 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
We should totally bring back King of Thieves.  !@#$% was awesome.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »
  • Video Games
Wow, a drama topic.

Well, if you look at the statistics on the front page you can see an undeniable, unprecedented drop in forum activity. Perhaps the lowest it has ever been.
sup
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 78 queries.

anything