Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation [SOURCE]  (Read 82208 times)

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation [SOURCE]
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:29:22 am »
  • Forstride Productions
NO LONGER BEING WORKED ON AS OF SEPTEMBER 7TH, 2012!

Welp, it was inevitable, but I've stopped working on TLoZ: Path of Revelation for good.  I'd much rather spend my time focusing on my own original games (I've been working on a platformer, and a puzzle game lately, both of which are pretty promising IMO) rather than a fangame that could be shutdown at any moment.

So, I'm releasing the source to the game...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ai2utxpl9ki1r0b

It's a Game Maker 8.1 file, and let me warn you ahead of time.  It. Is. A. Clusterfuck.  The game is so unorganized and sloppy, with sprites, objects, etc. just out of place and whatnot.

Do whatever you like with it, and if you continue it, please give credit where credit is due, including the credits I've given to people in the opening post.

Winner of "Best of Zelda" for NCFC 2011!
Last update: 7/2/2012, 9:27 PM EST

Introduction

The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation is a Zelda fan game that aims to introduce modern game mechanics into the classic 3/4 top down style of TLoZ: ALttP.  The game centers around a sacred area known as the Path of Revelation, which the Sages use to
"choose" the next Hero when one is needed.  I don't want to reveal too much of the story, so I can't explain much more.

The game will feature 11 dungeons, 3 of which are sort of "training" dungeons, and essentially side-quests that the inhabitants of areas near them give you.  The remaining 8 are full dungeons which will be quite large in size, and revolve around a specific elemental theme, and a main puzzle.  For instance, the earth temple (The actual name will be "Sandstone Alcove") has a main puzzle dealing with cracked floors, kind of like some areas in Pokemon games.

And last but not least, the game will have a lot of interactivity between NPCs, and the land (Which is a new region known as Caleron) itself.  For instance, an NPC might give you a sidequest that you can only complete in a certain season, or during certain weather.  This also means that there will be terrain changes for certain seasons, and during certain weather.  Of course, there will be more in-depth NPC interactivity not related to seasons/weather, like NPCs getting into arguments with one another, and affecting sidequests they may give you, or say if they run a shop, the prices may go up due to the shop owner's anger.

Screenshots

Videos

None yet

Download

Demo Information

File Size: 73.3 MB
Vista Compatible: Yes
Changes Screen Resolution: No

Updates

• Improved name registration, similar to TLoZ.  Left and Right moves your selection through the characters (Up and Down don't do anything, so you have to scroll through the list)
  • Advanced seasons.  Early, Mid, and Late variants of each of the 4 main seasons.  For example, early spring, mid spring, late spring, early summer, mid summer, etc.
  • Removed shading overlay.  It just made everything darker and uglier, and it still looks great without it, so I figured I'd just remove it.
  • Improved menu aesthetics (Both the file select and inventory menus)

Controls

Arrow Keys - Move Link/Epona, move through menu selections, aim the bow/hookshot
Z - Action/Talk/Read/Play Gemshorn/Get on Epona/Reel Fish/Get on King of Red Lions
X - Sword/Close Gemshorn box/Get off Epona/Scroll to end of text/Get off King of Red Lions
A,S,D - Use Items/Select items from inventory/Play Gemshorn
Enter - Pause/Inventory
Q - Go to the pause menu to the left
E - Go to the pause menu to the right
Ctrl - Hide/Unhide shading overlay
1,2,3,4,5,6 - Change weather (1 = Rain, 2 = Snow, 3 = Sunny, 4 = Overcast, 5 = Foggy, 6 = Thunderstorm)
Mouse wheel - Increase/Decrease Time
-/+ - Cycle through seasons
Spacebar - Pause/Resume time flow
F4 - Fullscreen

Current Features

• Time/Day System
  • Seasons
  • Weather
  • HUD
  • Text Engine
  • Instrument/Songs
  • Inventory
  • Map
  • Quest Status
  • Name Entry/File Select
  • Saving/Loading
  • Epona
  • Boat (Only in the Fishing Hole for now)
  • 1 Dungeon (Patierna Shrine)

Items:

• Deku Nuts
  • Slingshot
  • Bombs
  • Boomerang
  • Gemshorn of Sorrow
  • Bow & Arrows
  • Fire Arrows
  • Bomb Arrows
  • Rod of Growth
  • Megaton Hammer
  • Hookshot
  • Cyclone Vase
  • Lens of Truth
  • Fishing Rod
  • Shade Cloak
  • Bottles
  • Pictobox

Equipment:

• Old Sword

Bugs/Glitches

None yet

Credits

Myself - All of the engine so far, except what's listed below.
Lukearentz - Typewriter Text Engine
Xander - Link sprites
Darklink - Epona sprites
Calvein - Tree sprites
TRM - Item sprites for HUD
Muzzle - Hearts script
xot - Desaturation script
Takam - Water/Cabin/misc tiles
SuperMarioMaster91 - NPC/Misc. sprites

Words from the developer:
*This will be edited with comments pertaining to the project that don't belong in the other sections*

Nothing is here...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:38:20 pm by TDWP FTW »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Threads of Despair
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:05:20 pm »
I will say this firstly before trying it (Cleaning the house for the xmas tree)

Those custom graphics need serious updating. They're not LTTP styled. Can one of the more experienced LTTP spriters here explain how to do the style.

Though it defo is a great start especially to have made a demo. The prologue is simple but effective, loving that.
  • Phoenix Heart

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
I'm going to be switching over to more custom sprites once development progresses.  I could do it now, but there's no need when the full game isn't even near complete.  I'm sticking to LTTP style, or around there, because I don't like Minish Cap style (Too bright of colors), and I don't want to do GB style (I do like GB style though).

I guess you could say I'm going for OoT2D style graphics, even though they're based off of LTTP sprites.  I was thinking about switching to Majora's OoT2D sprites (I'm already using his rolling sprites for my game...Which reminds me, I need to add him into the credits), but they're very similar to the ones I'm using currently.

If there was a sprite sheet that had the OoT2D color palette, and was more modern based (Like Twilight Princess), I'd definitely switch to that.  I'm also hoping to switch my tileset(s) too.  I'm using LTTP rips, and they're too bland I guess.  I'm not really a big graphics !@#$%, but I do want my game to look nice. 

Anyway, this game has been in production since the beginning of the month...I just forgot to post it here (I've posted it on the GMC, and another forum).  I haven't been here in ages, but I figured I'd get more feedback here, seeing as it's more oriented to Zelda fan games.

The next demo I release will be the last until the full game is complete.  I'm hoping to have the engine itself complete by then, meaning all items will work (However, not all of them will be in the demo), and it will hopefully be more polished (Sword collision mask, pause menus, etc.).  I'm not sure when this demo will be out, but it would be awesome to release it on New Year's Eve... XD

I do have a private tester (Yes, only one), so if anyone else is looking to test after the next demo is out, contact me at Catcwe316@comcast.net.  I really only need maybe 2 or 3 more testers, so send in your "applications" while you can.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:44:19 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Few things-

-Night time looks bad. You can much better achieve the "illusion" of night time by not using a transparent black overlay. Slight hue-shifting plus a layer of "night time only" tiles can do wonders.
-Some tiles are improperly used. The trees for example look odd when their canopy's touch.
-Bomb's explosion animation seems really fast.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:50:10 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Few things-

-Night time looks bad. You can much better achieve the "illusion" of night time by not using a transparent black overlay. Slight hue-shifting plus a layer of "night time only" tiles can do wonders.
-Some tiles are improperly used. The trees for example look odd when their canopy's touch.
-Bomb's explosion animation seems really fast.
Night time is definitely something I need to work on.  For the trees, I'm not even using tiles for them.  It does look bad, and I'll agree.  The bomb explosion seemed fine to me, but I'll length it if needed.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »
don't forget to implement wall and tree pushing animations.
They are same.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:09:00 pm by Gedosemo »

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:02 am »
  • Forstride Productions
don't forget to implement wall and tree pushing animations.
They are same.
Kind of random, but yeah, I do plan on implementing pushing/pulling, as well as lifting.  Not sure why I'd need to show the pushing/pulling animation for trees, no other games do AFAIK.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:56:33 am »
All the links are broken. But then I guess this topic hasn't been updated in a while.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:35:47 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Well, I sort of updated it today.  Nothing new was really added since the last update, but I fixed up a few things.  I fixed the links in the first post, and added new screenshots and a new video (Test 3).  I don't know if I'm going to continue development with those.  No one really seemed interested at all, and it's pointless to continue working when no one is going to play it.  :/
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:40:55 am »
Seems a shame to quit development. Not getting a lot of response is not surprising if you don't show a lot of activity yourself. It's been a while since your last post. And the response you got to your creation of the topic is decent enough.

I'll try to play it later today, but it looks like there is a lot in it. Perhaps you could work more on the presentation and smoothing out the controls if you want more attention. Some visuals are ugly and well... lots of people will not look past that. On the other hand, people will play it aplenty if you get the little things right. Meaning graphics wise and through controls. The location selection on the map for instance. That just does not look pleasant to handle.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:44 pm »
-I'm missing F1 to show in-game what the controls are.
-Pressing V outside of the house sends the magic meter haywire
-The bow and arrows seem intended to be aimed when you keep the action button pressed. This does not always happen. Sometimes, if I change the characters direction frequently while tapping the action button Link is locked in aim-mode until you shoot. The character's position is also changed a little and (when looking sideways) the arrow is positioned a little lower then the aiming line.
-Rolling towards the hill on the right after the first crossing gets me stuck in the wall.

I'm going to stop here. It's like I suspected. You have indeed build in a lot of things, but you'll need to work out the finer details if you want more attention. Those are my first impressions anyway. Don't take it as criticism.

Edit:
-I managed to push the big block offscreen by continuesly rolling against it.
-In the lower left corner of the lake area rolling southwards messes up Link's movementspeed
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:06:24 pm by Martijn dh »

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:45:47 am »
  • Forstride Productions
BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG UPDATE!

Well, not THAT big, but hey, Threads of Despair is back from the grave!

Check the first topic for things I've added/fixed/changed, and of course for the demo link.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 05:45:23 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Well, the Patierna Shrine demo is finally here!

The demo includes a dungeon (Patierna Shrine), a few new items, and much, much more!

Check the first post for info on the update.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Made another update today.  Includes: Kodrec Grove, player's house (Within Kodrec Grove), Kodrec Town, Caleron Field, and High-Grass Meadow.  Also changed a few things, such as the house in Patierna Hill (It now belongs to a character named Garzo, who will be in an intro cinematic once I stop being lazy and make it), room transitions, etc.

The next update will feature Epona, Epona's Song, Faltron Farm, Castle Town, and Esport Mountain.  FYI: Once the 3 pre-temple dungeons (There's still 8 temples after those) are made, and you can play the storyline up until then, there won't be any more demos until the game is finished.  I'll release screenshots and possibly videos during that time, but no new demos.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:01:27 am by Homegrownpwn »
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:43:15 am »
Some parts look very nice, other parts don't. I've downloaded it, but haven't played it yet because I'm busy. The following is therefore just based off the video. Just small comments on things I noticed.

- When going to the first dungeon we see Link passing a guy on a walkway eventhough there is water all around. My first question would be: why doesn't Link just swim around him. Maybe you do no intend to let the player have a swimming ability at this time yet in the final version, although you do seem to need the ability in the dungeon. I suggest blocking the water to the next screen.
- I suggest making the boss float up less high when you fight him. Players generally want to clearly see the boss that they are fighting.
- One thing you can do to give the boss more depth is to give him a tell when he is about to attack. If his attack is unblockable, fast or heavy hitting then the player will need to be mindfull of this boss' action and you introduce more strategy. Giving the boss more attacks, like him swooping down for you (after his tell), would achieve the same thing.
- The text in the intro is fragmented over multible lines and the cut of point per line seems sporadic. Sometimes there are 4 lines of text. Sometimes 5 or 6. The colored ring thingy should be shown for one or two seconds longer. Now it's just a flash before it's gone. Look at it from the players point of view: the very first thing they see from your game is an unrefined intro. It sets the tone for the rest of the game and it's so easy to avoid with just a little bit of extra work.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 10:36:52 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Yeah, most of that has been improved upon since I made the video, except for the boss height and the "notification" of when he's about to attack.  I'm most likely going to revamp the Shrine dungeon when I revamp the rest of the swamp (See below).

As for swimming around the person before the shrine, the room has a border of solid markers, so technically they can't get around.  I get what you mean though.  I made most of the rooms so far have nice borders, but that was after I made the swamp rooms.  I'll go back and "revamp" them once I work on more fine details.

I'm going to make a new video today, since I've improved upon A LOT since the last one.

Also: Re-download the current demo before trying it.  I had to fix a few things since I last uploaded it.

EDIT: Had to fix some more stuff.  I'll uploading the demo at 7:45 PM EST (2 minutes) so you don't download an old version.

EDIT 2: Okay, uploaded it.  Download away!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:48:50 pm by Homegrownpwn »
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 04:14:33 pm »
Re-edit the links :(

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 04:01:29 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Alrighty, my month or so long break is over, and work has continued on the game.  I fixed the links in the OP, and uploaded a new demo.  Nothing new is really added, but yeah.  The next major update will change a lot.  Patierna Shrine will be the Forest Temple, and I'm going to redo it completely for the most part.  It will be longer, actually challenging, and have a better boss (It's going to be the moth still, but it will have more than one attack, etc.).  After that, I won't put out any updates until the final game is finished, but I'll post screenshots from time to time.

Expect the update to come around late June/early July or so.  :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:20:34 am by Homegrownpwn »

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 04:01:49 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Quick little news update:

- I've been working on adding the rest of the weapons, except for the Magic Beans.  I might just remove them and add something else in their place, as they don't really fit in well.

- I'm going to be revamping NPCs, as well as the text engine.  I'm just going to go back to using Lukearent'z typewriter engine, as it worked so nicely for the game.  As for the NPCs, I'm going to redo them completely, and add the ones from the swamp, up to Kodrec Town.

- I plan on leaving the shrine the same for the most part, as I'm going to make it into a "tutorial dungeon."  There will be a little spirit who follows you around in the dungeon, and he'll instruct you on how to play the game (Controls, attacks, etc.).  I want players to be immersed in action quickly into the game, rather than have some big cutscene (Although there will be a few cutscenes before the dungeon), or just bits of gameplay that only add to the story.
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 03:01:07 pm »
I look forward to seeing these updates in action.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 78 queries.

anything