Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: News/Weekly Idea  (Read 3524 times)

News/Weekly Idea
« on: November 17, 2008, 06:27:46 pm »
Since my old idea was passed over due to suspicions over my intent, I have retuned my idea so that it might be a little more digestible.  I will not use big paragraphs because these apparently make me look like a pompous know-it-all so I will use a bulleted list with headers:

Create a new board titled "Prelease & Planning" in the Staff category of the forum index
- It would give an easier place for non-staff members to work on things
- It would give a place where collaboration could be worked out with staff
- News items could be worked on in there and then moved to the actual News forum when ready to be "printed"

Delete the ZFGC Weekly board
- It's antiquated and serves no real, current purpose
- Move the contents of the Big Question Archive into the News
- If an issue of the Weekly doesn't exist in the News or the one from the Weekly board has more comments, it should be moved/replaced

Make the News a public board under the ZFGC.com category
- Shows off more of what is on the site
- Big Question would no longer have to be posted in Community Speak, thus issues with moderation could be avoided
- Possibly make the forum inaccessible to guests so that they use the site more

I think that this would clear up some vertical forum space, Community Speak clutter, and would get a little more interest in the site.  Thoughts?
Re: News/Weekly Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:58:23 pm »
Since my old idea was passed over due to suspicions over my intent, I have retuned my idea so that it might be a little more digestible.  I will not use big paragraphs because these apparently make me look like a pompous know-it-all so I will use a bulleted list with headers:

On a -separate- note, on which I want no reply to at all from you :p if you can bare it! It's not that it makes you look pompous, it's just not necessary and well I guess it does come off a bit elitist sounding. If I bury my hatchet, will you?

Create a new board titled "Prelease & Planning" in the Staff category of the forum index
- It would give an easier place for non-staff members to work on things
- It would give a place where collaboration could be worked out with staff
- News items could be worked on in there and then moved to the actual News forum when ready to be "printed"

Seems like a decent idea.

Delete the ZFGC Weekly board
- It's antiquated and serves no real, current purpose
- Move the contents of the Big Question Archive into the News
- If an issue of the Weekly doesn't exist in the News or the one from the Weekly board has more comments, it should be moved/replaced

Also seems fair enough.

Make the News a public board under the ZFGC.com category
- Shows off more of what is on the site
- Big Question would no longer have to be posted in Community Speak, thus issues with moderation could be avoided
- Possibly make the forum inaccessible to guests so that they use the site more

I think this is a good idea, makes it more focused, right now the weekly seems very detached from the website as a whole, it needs to probably continue to be 'independently' managed (for now), but integration makes sense down the line.

I think that this would clear up some vertical forum space, Community Speak clutter, and would get a little more interest in the site.  Thoughts?

It might draw more attention to the core areas of the site, rather than the areas we'd like to see people focus less on. CS and OT being those two areas that require less focus, since they pull away from the big picture of the website itself.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:25:47 pm »
The colorful nature of my language in my previous post was mainly sarcasm.  My idea was looked at and was deemed simply by many to be an outreach of my personal intention.  My problem is that when people would disagree they would not add on to what they would do differently to address the common concern - collaboration.  Why do you think that I would be doing all these nice things for everyone if I hadn't buried the hatchet?  I would have just left had I been that bitter.  I'm not the one who keeps digging it up, and the attitude in the staff section towards me is a testament to that in itself.  It's a !@#$% circle: you people asking why I don't I let it die, myself asking why do you keep giving it life.  That's what pisses me off.

The way I see it, the Weekly was an idea that was separate from the site since it mostly preceded it.  Once the News board came about and the Weekly became apart of the News, both really did not need to exist.  However, the Weekly still needed to be visible on the forum for anyone to give a damn or to take a little interest in it for it to be viable, so simply moving it to the News entirely would have been detrimental to its intent.  Essentially, at least in the simplest terms, the Weekly was a condescended prototype of the news before the news existed.

The reason that the "Prerelease & Planning" board would be needed if the News was visible would be because the way it is now, prereleased topics are just stickied or locked so that they will not show up on the News feed.  If the News board was public, this luxury wouldn't work out.  The board itself would also let those working on the news having knowledge of what has being planned for a contest so they could have news prepared in advance - or rather, those working on a contest could post a topic in the right format, and move it to the news board themselves.  The existing staff could also post there for workspace, if their idea could use some help of non-staff people, etc.

As for the Weekly being detached from the news though, it essentially is the news.  Most of everything else is the other things I have posted, gotten someone to post, etc.  Not sure what you meant by how it was managed, but really anything needs dedicated people.  It shouldn't be open for everyone to write it all at once as that would just lead to confusion or whatever.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:41:28 pm »
  • The Mike
The Weekly board I thought was pretty neat and it was my idea you know? Even though it was full of comments, I would hate to see it go.

Anyway, those all sound pretty reasonable.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:56:31 pm »
The Weekly board was hardly full of comments.  After a few issues, the topics were just locked so that people would comment on the one on the site instead.  But like I said, if there exists a Weekly that is in the Weekly board that has more comments than its counterpart in the News or rather there is no counterpart in the News, then the replacement can be made.  But for the board itself, that dead horse has been beaten enough, moves onto reliable live mule.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:59:28 pm »
  • The Mike
The Weekly board was hardly full of comments.  After a few issues, the topics were just locked so that people would comment on the one on the site instead.  But like I said, if there exists a Weekly that is in the Weekly board that has more comments than its counterpart in the News or rather there is no counterpart in the News, then the replacement can be made.  But for the board itself, that dead horse has been beaten enough, moves onto reliable live mule.
I know, I was trying to make a rhyme. :P

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:31:51 pm »
Ah, I overlook things like that.  Oh, and seeing as how the Big Question would have to be in the News and would thus require an icon for it to be properly displayed on the site, I made this (its an edit and reworking, the darkest greens aren't even in the MC palette lol, so if you got something better, feel free to help me out):

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:47:41 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
I'm gonna agree 100% with Vashie-cakes, because I don't feel like re-typing everything he said. This was a much better approach :)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:25:36 am »
I think that locking the ones on the weekly board wasn't so great, I don't like being forced to go to the site to comment if I'm already in the forum.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:36:08 am »
Which is why the board itself would be obsolete if the News was public as people would be able to reply in that and have their reply on the site as well.  The new way basically just brings the site to you, and gives those viewing the site more to see.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 08:13:26 pm »
  • The Mike
You could rename the Weekly board to "News" and still post the Weekly there rather than deleting another board and making a new one.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:29 pm »
No, there is already a News board, it is just hidden - which is why making it public so that people could post in it on the forum would make the Weekly board obsolete.  The Weekly and Big Question Archive would be deleted and the News would be made public.  The way the site works is you post something on a hidden board and the contents of what you post there gets shown on the site; and when you leave a comment on the site, it is the same as making a post in the hidden area (for the most part).
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 01:46:45 am »
Hey, I don't want to be the dooshbag that keeps asking about things like this, but that seems to be the only way that things get done.  Either yesterday or the day before, Vash helped me move Hoffy's old reviews to the News board, as well as allowing me to move the Big Questions from the Big Question Archive to the News board.  Now I would do this myself if I have the ability, and the fact that one has to wait weeks just for anything to get done or the fact that if one does not constantly bring something up no action is taken either way, I would like to see this either finished or at least dispelled of ambiguity.

Especially now that the Electoral board has gone up, viewing the forum index would be a little easier with less boards.  I've already readied the Big Question Archive and the ZFGC Weekly board for deletion.
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 06:20:47 pm »
This is a bump for a resolution.  Even if my News/Weekly idea is not agreed with in full, I think that the ZFGC Weekly and Big Question Archive boards should be deleted as they are no longer used, they clutter the board now, and I have made it so they can be deleted by moving all of their topics to the News board. 

Deleting the boards is a simple process which can be done in under five minutes, and yet at the current rate, I will have waited a month with no answer.  Not to mention, I have asked for this privately on at least three separate occasions.

As for the whole idea itself that I had, it would be nice to have a place where an assembled team could plan and work, and as it is now, working together with more than two people via PMs would make for an intermittent mess of communication and collaboration.  If the staff has there own idea on how to best facilitate this however, I would be happy to hear about it and work something out that would work best for everyone.

And also, if anyone has an idea of their own that is related to this, I would be more than happy to hear it if you are willing to share it.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 06:26:33 pm »
Just to respond briefly before I get ready for my day. We'll be working on a lot of community level changes soon, including some 'journalistic' staff, as Mammy said it. Expect that in the coming days/weeks. I'm sure your input (when we ask) will be greatly valued (that's too all not just 4Sword).

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 06:38:27 pm »
Alright, that is good to know.  I just had fancy ideas about how a public News board could serve as a place for topics that the staff want to highlight be mentioning there, a place for the Radio DJs to mention when they are going on, what it is already now, etc.  It feels zen.  I'll wait until then, I have finals this week as it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 69 queries.