Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthbound  (Read 4729 times)

Earthbound
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:42:48 pm »
I love this game. SO much. I would go as far as saying it was my favorite game of all time. It has all the components of a good game. Although I would never say a game is a godsend. Anyone who says a GAME is a godsend is an idiot. No game is perfect. The games I can call out as being said to be godsends are: Halo, FF7, Ocarina of Time...Uh. That's all I can think of actually. But even three is far too many. But back to the main point of this topic, I really got into Earthbound a year or so ago. I beat the game, then played Mother 1, and beat that game. Then I waited for Mother 3. Obviously still waiting. :P I'm most excited about the translation project going on at mother3.fobby.net. Recently I decided to play Earthbound through a second time. I'm almost at Saturn Valley now. :3 Who else has played this wonderful game? Did you like it? I think I will review it after I beat it again.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Re: Earthbound
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:45:46 pm »
  • Silly cat!
It's definitely a game I've always wanted to play. But, it was never released outside of Japan and America due to mass translations and a lack of consumerism, which means that guys like me never had the pleasure. Of course, if at any times it hits the Virtual Console, I'll be downloading it in a heartbeat.

Hoffy.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 12:20:00 am »
Earthbound is a great game, I loved it. :D It's hilarious XD
The only thing that I don't like very much in it is the battle system, which is kind of basic.

I played Mother 3 in Japanese, but I stopped in the 6th or 7th chapter (there are 8 chapters). Earthbound is IMO better than Mother 3, but this one is also awesome.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 12:51:15 am »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Wow, Moldrill, my story is basically the same as yours! XD Although I had known about Earthbound for a while (since Middle School) when a friend of mine told me about. Since then, I've started it, gotten somewhere, and stopped playing, never beating the game. With the recent SNES emulator for the DS, however, I put the game into my DS flashcart and plowed right through, playing nothing BUT it. I liked it, despite the shortcomings of playing it on a semi-working SNES emulator. That was this fall, basically...

Almost soon after I beat Earthbound, I went off and got the GBA Mother 1 + 2 and applied a translation patch to it so that I could play Mother 1 in English but with the added goodies for the GBA (like a context button), and I plowed right through that as well.

I'm currently trying to get through Mother 3 (and I beat chapter 3 today, woo!). I also hacked Earthbound to make it easier so my sister can also play the game. (I know, the game itself isn't very hard, but if you're trying to get someone who enjoys faster paced games to play Earthbound, maybe making it a little easier isn't so bad?)

So... my post in short:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs_L9UfBxu4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs_L9UfBxu4</a>

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 12:55:34 am »
Yeah. I too have known about it since Middle School (still in middle school).

Update: I just got to Saturn Valley in this second play through. <3
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:22:20 am »
I was never a fan of earthbound, was pretty hard.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:27:11 am »
I quit halfway through. The game was an acid trip.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 02:07:14 am »

O_o No. It was just out of the ordinary for an RPG. Especially for the time period it was released in, which was the core of Dragon Quest games. It's different. But I've seen much more acid tripped games.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 02:16:33 am »

O_o No. It was just out of the ordinary for an RPG. Especially for the time period it was released in, which was the core of Dragon Quest games. It's different. But I've seen much more acid tripped games.
I agree, Earthbound is not too hard...
Plus that Mother 1 and Mother 3 are much harder.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 02:25:06 am »
I will give it a try later, I have never been intersted in this game, meh even If i beat it nothing can win CT

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 02:26:58 am »
  • Silly cat!

There was nothing about difficulty in Moldrill's post :P.

I played the ROM for EarthBound, and like all other ROMs I play, I gave up after about 5 minutes because it feels dirty and wrong (don't ask). But it was very much a different game, and I admire it for a being a different sort of RPG... or, as Swiftu said, "an acid trip".

Hoffy.
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 02:30:36 am »
I will give it a try later, I have never been intersted in this game, meh even If i beat it nothing can win CT

Lies. Everything can beat CT! Wait no. Very few games can beat CT! Chrono Trigger may be awesome. But Earthbound is far better. Really.

There was nothing about difficulty in Moldrill's post :P.

I played the ROM for EarthBound, and like all other ROMs I play, I gave up after about 5 minutes because it feels dirty and wrong (don't ask). But it was very much a different game, and I admire it for a being a different sort of RPG... or, as Swiftu said, "an acid trip".

Yeah what the !@#$% sjegtp? :P

This is my second time playing the Earthbound Rom. I don't feel dirty or wrong about it though. >_>
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 02:37:55 am »
I only got as far as the desert, then I got lost.

At first I didn't really like the game at all, but now it's definitely among the top ones that I'd get on Virtual Console. I don't care about ALTTP because I still have that on GBA. But my top picks for VC would be as follows:

1. Super Mario RPG
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Earthbound
  • Penny Arcade
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 02:39:07 am »

Lies. Everything can beat CT! Wait no. Very few games can beat CT! Chrono Trigger may be awesome. But Earthbound is far better. Really.

I really doubt it, CT story is really complex more than you think of it. I will give it a try but I really doubt that Eartbound is in the same high level than CT, Terranigma or Tales of Phantasia.
EDIT: Subtance just reminded me of Super Mario RPG I really miss that game ;_; but oh well, Moldrill I am not saying it sucks just that I doubt that Earthbound will be my favourite RPG.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 02:42:11 am by Kren »
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 04:09:31 am »
I couldn't get into it.
  • Google Profile

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 04:29:10 am »

Moonside. Every battle screen in the game. Mr. Saturn.

It's an acid trip.

Chrono Trigger may be awesome. But Earthbound is far better. Really.

Get out. (leave)
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 06:44:09 am »
  • Shunner of Light
Meh, I was a bit disapointed with Earthbound when I played the non-legal version of it, and didn't play much past the point where you met the bee.  Sure, it's original, but the battle system just turned me off for some reason.  I don't really know why.

I thought it was pretty funny, though, when I get to the last door in the Underwhere and all of a sudden I have to defeat three Chain Chomps the Earthbound way.  At least that's what I thought it was a reference to.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 12:10:04 pm »
Yeah what the !@#$% sjegtp? :P
<.<" Never mind, I misunderstood the expression "acid trip".
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 01:49:34 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Well, for those of you who think Earthbound was, I could upload a patch (by me) that makes the game a little easier, just so you can go through the game's story. :P

Earthbound cannot be compared to Chrono Trigger, however. Chrono Trigger is a little more serious, whereas Earthbound is really a parody of Dragon Quest games, which are highly popular in Japan (and hopefully, will become popular in America and Europe). Mother 3 doesn't feel too much like a parody of anything, though, but then again... its still in Japanese... ;_; (BTW, this is all my opinion... y'know, before anyone starts flaming me...)

Edit: Attached a patch that powers up the characters and equipable weapons a bit. Well, maybe I overpowered one or two of the "best" weapons. Anyhow, if you think its too hard, you can use this to try and play it.

Maybe I'll submit it to ROMhacking.net... :/ Please note, I did not test the heck, but I'm 99% sure that it works (since I did something like this for my sister already, and she's having no problems with it).

Have fun! (And remember, if Earthbound comes out on the VC, buy it!)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:11:05 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 05:52:36 pm »
IMO, Mother 3's story is much more serious than Earthbound's, but it still has some hilarious scenes. XD
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 75 queries.