Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP] U.N. Squadron  (Read 2493 times)

[WIP] U.N. Squadron
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:02:30 am »
U.N. Squadron
A remake of one the best 2d shooters for the Super Nintendo.

Information:
U.N. Squadron is a 2d side scrolling shoot-em up with many enemies on screen, an in-depth assortment of unique planes and weapons, great boss fights, and kick-ass music.

Download:
http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=38890.0;attach=10501

Controls:
Arrow Keys to move the plane
Z to fire
H to test getting hit and being hrut

Tools Used:
Paint, GIMP, Visual Studio 2010 Professional

Language:
C#, XNA 4.0, .net 4.0

Software requirements:
.net 4.0 and XNA 4 redist
Windows Vista sp 1/Windows 7/Windows XP sp3(I believe those are correct)

Current Features:
*full 8 directional movement
*scrolling backgrounds
*bullet component
*animated portrait
*F-8 Crusader
*health
*title screen
*sounds
*bullets

Next Features:
~score
~money
~pow and total
~lives
~select screen
~shop

PURPOSE:
Explore and learn more about C# and XNA by programming a shoot-em up game.

I am interested to see how this operates on other machines.  Kinda hard for me to tell if it runs optimally when I am using a 2.84ghz quad core, 8gb ram, and a 4850hd video card.  Give it shot and let me know if it has some hiccups.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:35:29 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: [WIP] U.N. Squadron
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:44:24 pm »
No new demo but I do have some cool news as far as development goes:
Reworked quite a bit of the code to be more optimized.  Everything was being handled/drawn/updated in one game component.  I did that for testing new code and whatnot.  Now, I have added a new component - backgroundManager.  Anything dealing with the player for now is handled via the spriteManager.  The scrolling backgrounds are handled via the backgroundManager.  This is not only easier to navigate but will be easier when loading up the different levels.  Once other things such as the lives,score,money,etc get started, that will be handled by it's own manager that would be accessible throughout the entire game.

I also added a title screen! ...animated!

You press enter and it goes correctly to the testing level 1.

From what I have learned through experimenting, my general game flow should go as follows:
TitleScreenManager(includes the initializing global variables such as lives, which character was selected, etc)
to
Level Select(simple level select screen - levelManager)
to
Shop(simple shop/selects plane and weapons - shopManager)
to
Level(this will contain the meat - spriteManager,backgroundManager,enemyManager,statsManager,or anything else that is needed for a working level)

Everything will basically go through a loop from Level Select to Level.  If the lives are 0, then there will be a game over screen to implement.

At this point, just the titleManager and part of the Level phases are started and working.

I must say that I am having a blast programming in C# and XNA.  Feels so much more rewarding when something works and feels a little bit more "hardcore" than Game Maker.  Actually feel like I am doing more entry level professional programming rather than  hobbyist home Game Maker stuff.
Don't know if that is a good way of putting it but it just feels awesome!  I honestly wish I would have jumped into this with a better mindset a few years ago when I first messed with it.  For some reason, regular languages such as C++ or C# just seemed too overwhelming after messing with the easiness that is Game Maker.  Now I am starting to  understand why you good programmers hate on it.  XD
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:47:34 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:34 am »
Another update.  Added a few sound effects to see how sound effects work with the basic api provided by XNA.  I think I might just use the api for sound effects and XACT for music.

Also, provided you guys the title screen and the ability to test getting hit with pressing H.  I removed the ability to increase fire power but the first four levels of the bullet are there.

The next release should have(albiet not fully programmed) Title Screen/Character Select/Level Select/Level 1.  I may throw the shop in though you would not be able to purchase anything as I have yet to program any of the sub weapons yet.

Anyway, have fun though no one has downloaded any version yet.

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=38890.0;attach=10501
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:52 am »
No new demo for you guys but progress is still coming along.  Fine tuned getting hit animations on the healthbar and portrait.  Also, learned how to draw sprites with alpha so the overlay that appears when you get hit is now implemented.  Also, it was useful for creating the fade between images for the introduction and going between the different screens.

So, assuming everything continues to go smoothly, the next release should be the entire game upto level 1 minus enemies.  Not really up to snuff yet on artificial intelligence.  All I have to do is copy some movement patterns from the original but it is more work than it seems...to me anyway.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:11:15 am »
Would love to check this out. Unfortunately my graphics card on my laptop never did support XNA's HiDef profile. Maybe a LowDef version? Also, you may want to choose .zip over .rar as it's supported by many Windows versions natively.
  • Pyxosoft
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 44 queries.