Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Comunity Speak + Off Topic  (Read 6102 times)

Comunity Speak + Off Topic
« on: April 20, 2006, 10:52:36 pm »
I often doubt where is the line between Community Speak and Off-Topic...ok, presenting yourself to the community in one, but those topics are just there all the time, a general welcome topic would be more efficient.

I suggest merging Off-Topic and Community Speak, into one "General Talk" board. Where one topic serves as welcoming topic. Ofcourse, Debates and Spam will become 2 seperate boards under community.

Perhaps later we can add the wanted "General Zelda" board  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:23:07 am by Kleaver »

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
Re: Comunity Speak + Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:19:22 pm »
I think I'll agree with you. Spam is different from Off-topic, and there is indeed not much difference between OT and CS. We might want to merge those two. And the Zelda-board... *_* Yes, pweeze... I want that too! :D

Besides, I noticed a high ammount of "Hi I'm new"-topics. That'd be a good stickied topic, yet again, most users would simply ignore/not notice it. Hm. But I'll agree with you on your ideas.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:22:10 pm »
If they ignore it we can merge it with the welcome topic, or just redirect them.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:22:33 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
there should be a welcome sub-board in the community speech section.

Anything that acutally has to do with something, to do with the community should be in community speech. Something about yourself should go in off-topic.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:22:48 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
No, things that are about you and are about your personal life belong in CS since you're a member of the community. Topics that aren't spam and don't really have anything to do with the community go into Off-Topic.

Example:
My puppy died -> CS
I'm joining the marines -> CS
I just found a great new fertilizer -> OT
What size bucket is best for carrying milk? -> OT
I IZ A NINJA -> SPAM
I did a project on ninjas -> OT
My parents we just killed by a ninja -> CS (assuming that they actually were killed by a ninja)

There is a difference between CS and OT, it's just that most people see OT as un-serious so they want their serious topics posted in a serious board; CS. Because of this, a lot of stupid topics wind up in OT and a lot of OT topics wind up in CS.

I dunno... maybe we should merge them. The only question is will the serious topics still get through? Or will OT just overpower them all?
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:29:56 pm »
hmm we shouldn't merge it, people don't see a real problem that will affect all the community
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 08:44:08 pm »
But how much community talk would we have, Off Topic IS Community. The entire section of that board is.

So then the difference is when its got to do with your own life change its community? I think the lines are very close and one general topic will even ENCOURAGE more serious talk from Off-Topic.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 08:52:31 pm »
Most activity is from people introducing themselves. We can put that all in one topic like most forums do, it saves bandwidth and a whole lot of topics. I guess Community Speak will mostly vanish and Off-Topic will be the General Talk board. Any other big community issues can be handled in the information center or announcements or something.

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 08:26:42 am »
No, things that are about you and are about your personal life belong in CS since you're a member of the community. Topics that aren't spam and don't really have anything to do with the community go into Off-Topic.

Example:
My puppy died -> CS
I IZ A NINJA -> SPAM
My parents we just killed by a ninja -> CS (assuming that they actually were killed by a ninja)

There is a difference between CS and OT, it's just that most people see OT as un-serious so they want their serious topics posted in a serious board; CS. Because of this, a lot of stupid topics wind up in OT and a lot of OT topics wind up in CS.

I dunno... maybe we should merge them. The only question is will the serious topics still get through? Or will OT just overpower them all?
Not everything in Off-Topic is actually not worth to be posted in CS, and in reverse. Judging the relevance of a topic is bitchy, I know, but I think we should merge them, because (as Kleaver said) we would encourage people to write more relevant posts. If people really think they have to write crap, they'll do so in Spam, I think... Well, that's my opinion.
  • Me on deviantART

Pyru

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 12:28:13 pm »

Example:
My puppy died -> CS
I IZ A NINJA -> SPAM

Yeah, I agree with the way you laid it out..

I mean, if the two were merged, there would be so many non-spam, non-debate topics going into a single board. Off-topic is nice just to have an area where "If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here", y'know?

Ben

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 12:29:39 pm »
Off topic should be the place where you discuss things like what was on TV or what your favourite foods are.
Community speak should be about things close to your heart (:-p).
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion

Pyru

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 12:31:30 pm »
Off topic should be the place where you discuss things like what was on TV or what your favourite foods are.
Community speak should be about things close to your heart (:-p).

Maybe even more precise than that: CS is about things that happen, or have happened, involving you, and OT is just things.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 12:49:17 pm »
Allright, lets keep Community Speak for welcomes or goodbyes and personal issues. And Off-Topic for everything else.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 12:51:47 pm »
Actually, no...I see most of you dont agree. And this was just an idea. If you dont like it, we dont do it.

Limey

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 07:49:36 pm »
They're different:

Anything that isn't about your daily life, the news, the world in general, or the forum, goes in CS.  EVERYTHING else goes in Off topic. 
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 06:50:25 pm »
I think it'd be good to have a subforum strictly for:
-"Hello"
-"I'm leaving for good. I'm SUPER CEREAL this time!!"
-"I'm back"
This way, CS won't be flooded and it would keep a lot of drama on a smaller board. Hah hah. Combining CS and Off-Topic seems a little strange. I've always been able to see the difference between the two, and up until recently, I haven't seen any discrepancies on where to put things. I really like the idea for a Zelda subforum. =D
  • My Photostream
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 07:42:38 pm »
I honestly don't see anything wrong with merging the two. I read all of the comments and you guys were saying things like 'community speak is for personal issues, off-topic is for anything that doesn't go anywhere else'

I don't get it.. What dose it matter? If we just had a 'General Discussion' board to house both, close to the heart personal matters, and general chat that doesn't really have to do with anything (your daily life). What would be the problem? I can't grasp how exactly this would be bad for us. It would be so much easier then having two seperate forums I have to check for practically the same content. I mean, Community Speak, isn't really all that active at the moment anyways. Why not just merge the both of them, and then put a child bord in there like SC said for the following;
-"Hello"
-"I'm leaving for good. I'm SUPER CEREAL this time!!"
-"I'm back"

What would be the problem if people discussed their life, and random things in our world today, just as a community, you know 'general discussion about anything not zelda or fan-game related. Is it hurting anybody if there is a topic about somebody joining the military, along side a topic about video editing software? They are both just generalized as general discussion. Why break them up into seperate boards? It just wastes mroe time browsing between the boards. It is cleaner, and more simpleized if we just have Ganeral Discussion that sums up both off topic matters and community speak matters.

There really isn't any extremly logical reason why we shouldnt do it other then wanting to catagorize 'everything' and not cut down on the index crowding. Would anybody care that much if they had to check one simply labled "General Discussion" board for all general discussion between members, about members, the community, life, and anything not zelda or fan game related? Rather then wo very similar boards about almost the same things? Where in one people don't take things as seriously becasue for some reason they automaticly generalize it as spam.

It's sensable if you ask me. I think it's agreat idea to merge them. And completly agree with what SC said right above me. If you merged the two and added that child bord for all of those intro, leaveing, coming back topics to keep them out of the general discussion. That would only benifate us, and be less confusing for people just looking for generl discussion about anything not spam.
We may be human. But we're still animals.

Limey

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 02:23:51 am »
Fine, we could probably merge them.  And make a board called the "Hellos and goodbyes' Forum ;)
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 02:32:58 am »
The problem with Off Topic is that nobody can tell if anything is going on there.  The overuse of the Spam section makes it so the most recent post for the Off Topic board is always from the Spam section.  Considering that the most recent displayed topics at the bottom of the screen only shows the five most recent posts, there is little if almost no chance of anything from Off Topic able to be seen.  A lot of the time, if there is anything, it probably has to be moved to Spam anyway.

So, I do not think that the boards should merge.  They would ruin each other if they were fused; how would you like your topic about your whole family dieing in a horrible car crash being replaced with a topic about something that is of a completely different spectrum.  As I have said, if there was less board confusion and cover-up, then there would not be this discussion.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 02:38:06 am »
The problem with Off Topic is that nobody can tell if anything is going on there.  The overuse of the Spam section makes it so the most recent post for the Off Topic board is always from the Spam section.  Considering that the most recent displayed topics at the bottom of the screen only shows the five most recent posts, there is little if almost no chance of anything from Off Topic able to be seen.  A lot of the time, if there is anything, it probably has to be moved to Spam anyway.

So, I do not think that the boards should merge.  They would ruin each other if they were fused; how would you like your topic about your whole family dieing in a horrible car crash being replaced with a topic about something that is of a completely different spectrum.  As I have said, if there was less board confusion and cover-up, then there would not be this discussion.
But off topic isn't suppose to be spam and such. I don't t hink it would really ruin CS at all. Maybe if you look at it in its current sence it might seem that way. But if they wre merged and just became a kickback place for all general chat, personal life, jobs, school, the world, and anything non zelda related then what is the problem. I mean, you are better off making a specific board for personal family issues and then having a merged general discussion then what we have at the moment. And I mean, it wouldn't be that drasticly different would it? It would still feel like community speak. It wouldn't feel spammy. People just make that assumtion and get that feeling because the spam baord is within off-topic. So things aren't really taken serious. Whereas with general chat everything would be taken more serious as they are in CS. And people can still go to the seperate spam board to goof off.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 77 queries.