Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Visual Basic  (Read 1193 times)

Help with Visual Basic
« on: April 21, 2007, 02:33:41 am »
Alright; screw C++. I'm moving on to Visual Basic. Anyways, I've decided as my first program to make a calculator; now i have all the buttons, but how would I go about making a text box and commands? input should be simple enough, but making it calculate might be harder. any ideas for the nooby?
[...The mystery of wireless, revealed...]

[...Ninjas...]
Re: Help with Visual Basic
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 09:24:25 am »
C++ to VB O_o, what is the world coming to, stay the hell away from VB is a poor quality, god awfull language. Though I guess thats just my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:50:49 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I second the opinion of Infinitus.

You want BASIC? Use FreeBASIC. Of all the BASIC languages I've seen, this is the best (free) option if you ask me, and it quite a good deal better than some of the ones you actually have to Pay for. Also if you plan to make the jump to C or C++, then FreeBASIC is a good choice. It's often been called C in BASIC clothing.

Anyway, if you want to use what I percieve to be a load of crap, go ahead.

Anyway, perhaps for your first program a Random number game would be better?
A number between 1 and 5 is randomly generated.
The user selects a number from 1 to 5.
If it is correct the word "Correct" is displayed, and they get a point.
If it is wrong the word "Wrong" is displayed, and no points for them!
A new number is randomly chosen, and they can try again.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:25:28 am »
yep, freebasic
you could use VB6 for a while then go right over to freebasic
and i suggest you find yourself a visual basic tutorial... there are so many out there

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:24:35 pm »
I don't think you should do a calculator program as your first VB program. There are many easier programs that you can do. By the way, if you want tutorials for VB6, VBTutor (http://www.vbtutor.net/vbtutor.html) is a very good one.

C++ to VB O_o, what is the world coming to, stay the hell away from VB is a poor quality, god awfull language. Though I guess thats just my opinion.
Yeah, C++ is way better than VB, VB has a "strange" syntax and there are many things you can't do using VB... But VB is a lot easier than C++. And it's much more practical: to make a calculator program using VB you'd need about 50 lines of code, and in C++ you'd probably need more than 300...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 12:34:37 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I don't think you should do a calculator program as your first VB program. There are many easier programs that you can do. By the way, if you want tutorials for VB6, VBTutor (http://www.vbtutor.net/vbtutor.html) is a very good one.

Yeah, C++ is way better than VB, VB has a "strange" syntax and there are many things you can't do using VB... But VB is a lot easier than C++. And it's much more practical: to make a calculator program using VB you'd need about 50 lines of code, and in C++ you'd probably need more than 300...

Well, not if you use the VisualStudio Windows App feature...and to be fare most of those lines would be basicly copied and pasted from another app.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 04:16:22 pm »
thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm definitely gonna check out that tutorial site. i'm currently trying to learn VB, then i'll try FreeBASIC, and maybe C++ after. Thanks, everyone :)
[...The mystery of wireless, revealed...]

[...Ninjas...]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 48 queries.

anything