Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - August 11, 2008  (Read 5997 times)

Mirby

Drifter
Re: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - August 11, ...
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 07:48:59 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
@Giverny: In the January 2007 issue of Tips and Tricks, when asked about their favorite music, one of the editors mentioned FFX's soundtrack, because, in their opinion, the music fit each scene perfectly. They went on to say that when they hear a certain track (I forget which one they said), they can visualize Kimahri getting kicked out of his tribe perfectly (or something). So sometimes music and story go hand-in-hand.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:40 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
@Giverny: In the January 2007 issue of Tips and Tricks, when asked about their favorite music, one of the editors mentioned FFX's soundtrack, because, in their opinion, the music fit each scene perfectly. They went on to say that when they hear a certain track (I forget which one they said), they can visualize Kimahri getting kicked out of his tribe perfectly (or something). So sometimes music and story go hand-in-hand.
But ofcourse. And dont forget how well thought out gameplay mechanics and graphics with the above also go hand in hand.
   Personally, I think a game with a bad(insert one above 4 here) is bad in general, but a game with bad music but good everything else will be better than a game with good music but bad everything else.
   One good example is [NDS]Jake Hunter-Detective Chronicals.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 07:55:36 pm »
  • *whistle*
Tools! Something the end user [often] never sees, yet benefits from. I'm fascinated with windows forms, gui toolkits, things like Qt, wxWindows, .NET, Mono, and all sorts of windowing frameworks. Further, I like being able to build an application that you can use to create that data for your data-driven game. As I finish school here in the next two weeks, trying to find a job, I'm taking preference to those looking for tools programmers, cause that's right where I wanna be.

Hell, even simple level editing tools can be great :P Ever play TimeSplitters? It has a very simple level editor that's still loads of fun and easily accessible to casual users.

Also, keep in mind that dialogue IS separate from the story in an exact sense.

TimeSplitters was awesome, but 3 ruined it. It was all "Oh let's stop being a unique and quirky Goldeneye-styled sci-fi/wild west/steampunk/cyberpunk masterpiece, and be exactly like Medal of Honour and Halo."

And yes, the map editor was a lot of fun, but mostly in that the tools were very very simple: it was like building things out of Lego Brand Construction Bricks, all the hard stuff was already done.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 08:06:44 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
^Agreed. One time my friend and I built a stage where all there was was a turret and 100 zombies. And flickering lights. This was in TS2, btw. One of the best FPS's every created.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:02:01 am »
  • Silly cat!
I don't feel like debating anyone's opinion, but there have been cases where the sounds of a game would otherwise make the game unable to be enjoyed such as some people's opinions of voice acting in games, to which their opinions of the games they were playing were only salvaged by the story; e.g. Tales of Symphonia.  Stories are the backbone of games.  Mario's story is simple, but effective as it needs to be.  In Super Mario Galaxy, the story involves Mario having to rescue Peach and having to get to her to do so.  The simplicity of this was tweaked by plot devices to make it more interesting.  There have also been games where the music was good, but the rest was considered by many to be bad.  Music really just serves to keep you from getting bored because you are sitting in front of a television or computer monitor wasting your life away.
I understand that is usually (or "was initially") the purpose for music in most games, but otherwise I think music can mean a lot more than that. The music sets the scene, the atmosphere, and in some cases it can forward the plot and affect the gameplay. I really honestly think it does more than just serve to keep you from getting bored... you'll find most blockbuster games have a specific theme played throughout that often motivates you whenever you're doing something awesome in the game. I'm thinking of Halo here :P, but there are other games too, like God of War. And most importantly, it makes the game memorable for years and years of your life. Tunes often come back to you sporadically...

Hoffy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 46 queries.