Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463068 times)

Martijn dh and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.
Re: [NCFC demo] The Legend of Zelda: Horn of Bal...
« Reply #720 on: January 01, 2013, 03:55:53 pm »
A soldier swinging an axe (or possible two handed sword) about might work well in a 2-dimensional space. I'll write it down to consider at a later time.

Here is last years progress report along with a new screenshot:

0.14.13 (29 december)
+ Further optimized backgrounds
+ Adressed error: Game throws "division by zero" error at the start of the game due to compatability issues with certain graphic cards.

0.14.14 (30 december)
+ Tweaked item placement from destroyed containers
+ Added new container: dark world skull
+ Added Armos variant that does not wake up
+ Added Armos variant that only awakens if you attack or try to interact with it

0.14.15 (01 jan 2013)
+ Added master chest room to dungeon 2

--------------

EDIT: Turns out that at least two people get a "divide by zero" error when trying to play my game. Maybe there are more people who encounter this, but I've decided to work on uploading a fixed demo in the next couple of days. For those of you who are interested: the divide by zero error occurs on some graphical cards if you use the gamemaker function sprite_create_from_surface() during the creation event of an object while the sprite you want to create has a width value that can be divided by 8. Go figure. ::)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:30:18 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #721 on: January 04, 2013, 10:31:05 am »
I really love your work here, i've been following it for a while.(NL). but now i wanted to reply so i registered :P

1 question tho.. is it possible for you to tell me how you did the effect when shocked by the green chuchu?
i tried allot of stuff in gamemaker but can't seem to find out.

thanks man! good luck with your game :D
« Reply #722 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36:56 am »
Yeah, I may have slightly neglected the NL forum.... When I release a fixed demo this weekend I'll update the topic there as well.

About the screen effect. I'm not going to lie... it's a little complex. I'm not sure how much use you'll get out of the explanation, but I'll give anyway.

1. Turn a switch which makes all the objects I want to remain unaffected draw pitch black. As in: Link's sprites, the HUD and enemies. This is handled in the draw events of the various objects themselves. Also the coloring is important. It has to be pitchblack and the same color can't be used anywhere else in the game ('cause then those pixels would also remain unaffected).
2. Save a screenshot to a surface.
3. Save the surface as a sprite (which I'll call A), also making the black areas transparent in the process.
4. Draw sprite A onto a surface as a fully black image. The result will be an inverted screenshot basically in the sense that all is black with silhouettes for the "constant" elements in the original screenshot (=Link's sprites, the HUD and the enemies)
5. Make a new surface and draw the screenshot and then the surface from 4 onto it.
6. Save this latest surface also as a sprite, again turning the black color transparent. With this you'll have isolated all the sections of the original screenshot that should remain unaffected. Or in other words: You'd have a transparent surface with ONLY the character, enemies and HUD drawn onto it and only the pats you see in the original screenshot. That last part is especially important, because without it "constant" elements on screen will always be drawn on the forground during the effect. If you have an enemy standing behind a bridge or tree you probably don't want to have him pop up in front of said bridge or tree. I'll call the latest sprite B.
7. Next we take sprite A (which had the holes in it) and draw it 5 times onto a new surface. Draw them at the following positions (the sprite should not have any offset values and also the order and placing is importanthere): draw at (0,-8), (-8,0), (0,8), (8,0) and finally like normal at (0,0). The result is sprite A, but with the empty spaces (mostly) filled up with similar colors as the surrounding pixels. You'll get weird graphical effects if skip this. I call this sprite C.

Basically step 1 through 7 have been preparation for the blocky effect. They can best be done just once at the initiation of the shock effect to save resources because the following takes a lot of processing power.

8. Next we created the main effect. From left to right I keep taking a vertical slice (every n pixels) from spriteC and draw it onto a new surface while stretching it the same n pixels in width. I do the same with the resulting image onto the actual screen, only then drawing horizontal slices stretched in height. n equals the size of the resulting blocks. So let's say you are at the start of you're shock sequence and want to create a blocky effect with blocks of 2x2 pixels. Create a drawing loop that draws every second vertical line of sprite C at the same location on a new surface, but with a width x2. Repeat this with the resulting surface to the actual screen but looping through the height rather then the width. Take every second horizontal line in the surface you want to draw. Draw it at the same position on the screen, but draw it with height x2. The result is the blurred screenshot without having used the character, enemies and other constant elements. I must note that drawing lines and stretching them is WAY more efficient then doing it block by block, obviously.
9. Finally draw sprite B (which held just the constant elemants) onto the screen.

And voila. Screen successfully distorted.

I'd like to say that's all, but I'm still having problems with preexisting (partly transparent) surfaces in the original screenshot because they are not saved to surfaces correctly. It's a gamemaker issue so I'm not try to solve it at this time. I'm also unable to get the performance to 30 fps (yet :)), but it's hardly noticeable because of the nature of the effect (luckily).
« Reply #723 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:44 pm »
Sorry for the double post. I've taken the time to create a new gameplay video that I wanted to share:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pamhU9j9jjQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pamhU9j9jjQ</a>
« Reply #724 on: January 06, 2013, 01:05:34 pm »
Very, very nice, I deffinately like the ai of some of your enemies more then the stuff that I am working with myself. The soldiers really react well on link his presence. Just like in alttp itself.

well I'm off again, (have to find a way to fix my dodongo snake, yet have failed in that for several weeks), will check back on this project again soon.
[DEMO 15] The Legend of Zelda: Horn of Balance
« Reply #725 on: January 06, 2013, 03:52:50 pm »
Thanks. I spend a lot of time trying the AI just the way I like it, so it's nice to hear it's appreciated.

Here is this weekend's progress report. No screenshot, but I will work on a new demo later today. Sadly I will exclude the recently added soldiers because the collissions with their swords still need work.

0.14.16 (04 jan 2013)
+ New Armos variant now also wakes if you touch it
+ Adjusted script that prevents enemies and containers from spawning into each other.
+ Started work on new enemy: Stal

0.14.17 (05 jan 2013)
+ Finished new enemy: Stal
+ Fixed oversight in coding that enables and disables objects outside of the current room
+ Fixed issue: ledge jumping over doorways
+ Fixed issue: incorrect trigger dungeon 2 cellar scene
+ Improved coding for screenpush room transitions to also be able to handle longer distances

0.14.18 (06 jan 2013)
+ Masked dungeon 2 main plaza and subplaza
+ Added new movable object: royal chair
+ Fixed new issues room transitions left / right

0.14.19 (06 jan 2013)
+ Enemy control objects and enemy sprites can now have their own (seperate) defensive stats
+ Updated enemy mechanics: Soldier swords/spears now reject the character (still needs work)

----------------------------------------

EDIT: Here is the new demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?qucof6ea0wtcfvg
I'll update the starting post next weekend.

Changes based on demo 14:
+ Added new enemy: Stalrope
+ Added new enemy: Soldier Grunt (4 variantions)
+ Added new enemy: Spiked blocks (stationairy / automatic movement / triggered movement)
+ Added new enemy: Stal
+ Added more Armos variants
+ Added or changed various rooms in dungeon 2
+ Added more containers, movable objects and chest contents
+ Tweaked the masking or AI of various existing enemies
+ Fixed various surface errors
+ Fixed error: Game throws "division by zero" error at the start of the game due to compatability issues with certain graphic cards
+ Lots of smaller things
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:09:02 pm by Martijn dh »
Re: [DEMO 15] The Legend of Zelda: Horn of Balan...
« Reply #726 on: January 07, 2013, 12:19:02 am »
Hahaha you where right  :huh: but thanks for the reply i think i could work with that.. if not i'll ask again! thanks allot ^_^
« Reply #727 on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:24 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Just tried out the new demo, but right when it finished loading I got this error:
Code: [Select]
for object obj_Game_Select_Control_Tile:

Error in code at line 13:
   if (Character_State = 1)
       ^
at position 6: Unknown variable Character_State

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #728 on: January 07, 2013, 12:44:21 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Looks like somebody didn't commit all of their code ;)
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #729 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:15 am »
Just tried out the new demo, but right when it finished loading I got this error:
Code: [Select]
for object obj_Game_Select_Control_Tile:

Error in code at line 13:
   if (Character_State = 1)
       ^
at position 6: Unknown variable Character_State

:huh: Could you give me more information about what you did before you got this error? Did you get this error on the titlescreen, intro sequence, game select or somewhere else? Can you reproduce it? I can't reproduce it myself and I have just confirmed that this variable is properly initiated when the mentioned object is created. So I'm scratching my head a little. Did you press Ctrl+Alt+Del or something to switch between screens? That shouldn't cause problems anymore either, but I could look into that further if needed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:27:17 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #730 on: January 07, 2013, 08:05:16 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Right after the GM Loading bar finished loading I got that error.
It was before the game even started.
« Reply #731 on: January 07, 2013, 08:31:43 pm »
Did you have the same issue with the previous demo:
Link demo 0.14.00

Also, does anybody else have this problem?
« Reply #732 on: January 09, 2013, 08:59:23 pm »
Not that problem, The first time I tried loading it, it gave me some error about not being able to find a certain file, ( but I fear that I forgot to save the error for you ) The second time I tried loading the demo it worked without a problem.
« Reply #733 on: January 12, 2013, 08:49:01 am »
Not that problem, The first time I tried loading it, it gave me some error about not being able to find a certain file, ( but I fear that I forgot to save the error for you ) The second time I tried loading the demo it worked without a problem.

That narrows it down a little. Would you be willing to try out some private testdemo's so that I can further pinpoint the problem?

------------------

EDIT: Also, I'm currently working on the game's control scheme. More specifically: I'm making it so each equipped item can be accessed via a different button. I'll add some related before and after screenshots in the attachments. Feedback is always welcome.

EDIT2: Also added HUD screenshots. The item boxes changed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:08:48 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #734 on: January 12, 2013, 05:38:07 pm »

That narrows it down a little. Would you be willing to try out some private testdemo's so that I can further pinpoint the problem?

Sure, I can do that.
« Reply #735 on: January 13, 2013, 07:22:23 pm »
Expect a message shortly.

------------

Here is this weekends progress:

0.15.01 (12 jan 2013)
+ Fixed item menu surface errors
+ Slightly tweaked item menu / HUD
+ Changed the game's control scheme: now seperate buttons for the two equipable items

0.15.02 (13 jan 2013)
+ Added hidden staircase to bossroom dungeon2
+ Added and fully masked/finished additional room to dungeon 2
Re: Alttp - Horn of Balance [demo 15]
« Reply #736 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:07 pm »
Hello all,

I've been a bit of a mess this week so I didn't do any of the things I had originally planned or promised. Instead I just did whatever I felt like to relieve some stress. So Atom and Gonken: I'll get around to error catching and Menu building shortly.

Also, I accidentally deleted the first post of this topic when trying to update the project's info on the main page. I'll piece it back together over time.

Here's the latest progress report with some accompanying screenshots attached.

0.15.03 (14 jan 2013)
+ Tweaked text Murray entrance scene
+ Tweaked some small issues in the option menu

0.15.04 (18 jan 2013)
+ Added new enemy: Large spiked block
+ Tweaked dungeon 2 main plaza

0.15.05 (19 jan 2013)
+ Enemy types are now referenced as constants rather then strings
+ Added new enemy: Medusa
+ Started work on new enemy: Trickbox

0.15.06 (20 jan 2013)
+ Fixed error in fireball collisions
+ Finished new enemy: Trickbox
+ Added new enemy: Wizzrobe (Default)
+ Added new enemy: Wizzrobe (Undead)
« Reply #737 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »
Wow! That day must have been a mess for you.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #738 on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:31 pm »
Not a problem, just contact me when you are ready for it.
I know all about doing things to relieve stress, is January the most stressed month of the year. (or at least for me )
« Reply #739 on: February 03, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »
Thanks. I've got some choices to make with regards to my work (nothing bad though) and a week long course coming up, so I'll be taking it easy for a little while longer. With regards to the error: I've decided not to pursue it till more people report something similar, going under the assumption that the game is still fully playable regardless.

Here is the progress from the last couple of weeks.
+ Adjusted masking large spiked blocks
+ Added cyclops statue movable object
+ Added enemy variation: desert flying tiles
+ Designed 7 new rooms to dungeon 2
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 78 queries.