Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Contest  (Read 6664 times)

Next Contest
« on: August 14, 2009, 08:44:38 am »
I was just thinking. The dungeon design contest is finished now, so it is possible to have a new contest again. A contest that I would suggest is a Story Writing Contest. There are four reasons for it why I think that is a good idea:

1) I actually like to write stories, but also to read other peoples stories.
2) I've skimmed the archives, but I couldn't really find if there ever was one before. So it probably is the first.
3) It doesn't require much skill or time in the way of programming, spriting, audio editing or otherwise. You just have to organize your words and a bit of imagination.
4) It is done very often with Zelda WIP or Concept topics. Many discussions in those topics are about the story lines, but many of those projects never ever get so far that the entire story is revealed to the public.

So that is why I would like to see a story writing contest. But I wonder if it is not to early to have another contest or if the community has any interest in it. So what do you guys think?
Re: Next Contest
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:13:00 am »
  • Fight the Power
I think it doesn't sound too bad, but right now we should be focusing on Zelda game developpment, since that is what we're all about, after all. :P
It's maybe a bit early though, considering the dungeon contest ended what, 2 days ago?

Just my opinion. That said, I would maybe join. :]

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:49:32 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
A writing competition would work and be fun, but I'm of the personal opinion that all (or most) future contests need to be game development centric. Meaning, a story writing competition for a game would be cool (albeit hard to really put together), but a simple writing contest doesn't seem as development focused as it ought to be.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:03 pm »
A writing competition would work and be fun, but I'm of the personal opinion that all (or most) future contests need to be game development centric. Meaning, a story writing competition for a game would be cool (albeit hard to really put together), but a simple writing contest doesn't seem as development focused as it ought to be.

Actually it can be very focused on development and the idea is also to make it focused on game development. In current big games, even games like Link's Awakening, you need people to write the story. And it has to be done in a way that scripters can understand it and put it in a game.

So what will be looked at is not only if the story is entertaining, but also if it is structured and organized enough for developers to implement in game. So it has to be clear what part is gameplay driven and interaction initiated by the player and what is a cutscene. In a Zelda game it also means what areas are accessible and when certain characters have to appear at specific places.

So my idea is that and not to write a fan-fiction. But maybe Darunia is right and is it to early for a new contest.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:22:20 pm »
I was thinking of an "Implement-It-In-The-Least-Lines-Possible" contest, as GM suggested to me. Would be fun. Give the users a task to program, and see who can do it in the smallest amount of code.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:24 pm »
While a story writing contest may have its merits, running it right after a contest that also did not require much skill and didn't have that good of a turnout would probably be a bad idea. I was thinking of having a contest that were a participant would program a custom item/ability for Link in the GM Minish Cap Engine. It'd help get some creative ideas out that people could use in their games before the NCFC and it would get some interest in the Community Project.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »
  • Fight the Power
While a story writing contest may have its merits, running it right after a contest that also did not require much skill and didn't have that good of a turnout would probably be a bad idea. I was thinking of having a contest that were a participant would program a custom item/ability for Link in the GM Minish Cap Engine. It'd help get some creative ideas out that people could use in their games before the NCFC and it would get some interest in the Community Project.
Nah man people's codes would never fit together. Nobody codes exactly the same way.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »
  • b e p i s
I think it's a good idea. A few years ago we did a writing comp and it worked pretty well.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:13:20 pm »
Nah man people's codes would never fit together. Nobody codes exactly the same way.
Custom items wouldn't be directly added into the engine, so the fact that people code differently wouldn't matter. It's a difference between one engine integrating the different coding styles of many people, and how it would actually be just many people adapting and using one engine code.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:18:08 pm »
  • Fight the Power
I think it's a good idea. A few years ago we did a writing comp and it worked pretty well.
Says the future... journalist is it?

Custom items wouldn't be directly added into the engine, so the fact that people code differently wouldn't matter. It's a difference between one engine integrating the different coding styles of many people, and how it would actually be just many people adapting and using one engine code.
Well I guess we could try, but people would just recycle items from other Zelda games. Everytime there's coding involved not many people join. >_< Graphic contests seem to have much more success.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 09:19:05 pm »
I was thinking of an "Implement-It-In-The-Least-Lines-Possible" contest, as GM suggested to me. Would be fun. Give the users a task to program, and see who can do it in the smallest amount of code.

Nice idea, but the least possible lines does not always give the most efficient code. Also you need to predetermine the language the code has to be in. Some languages can do certain things in far less lines, but are a whole lot more difficult.

That is also a good idea which even has a productive part for the community project. But I'm also wondering about the same feasibility, because the low turnout from the previous contest was due to many people trying to program the dungeon, but couldn't get done. Although the last dev contest had a pretty high number of submissions.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 09:28:42 pm »
Nice idea, but the least possible lines does not always give the most efficient code. Also you need to predetermine the language the code has to be in. Some languages can do certain things in far less lines, but are a whole lot more difficult.
Its for fun, not for efficiency ;). As for language, let that be up to the user, allow them to choose whichever they think they can do it in less code with.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 01:46:13 pm »
Considering 4Swords idea is usefull for the CP and the NCFC is in October.

Its for fun, not for efficiency ;). As for language, let that be up to the user, allow them to choose whichever they think they can do it in less code with.

Well, just let me give a small example when you have to make a quicksort.

in C++:
Code: [Select]
void swap(int *a, int *b)
{
  int t=*a; *a=*b; *b=t;
}
void sort(int arr[], int beg, int end)
{
  if (end > beg + 1)
  {
    int piv = arr[beg], l = beg + 1, r = end;
    while (l < r)
    {
      if (arr[l] <= piv)
        l++;
      else
        swap(&arr[l], &arr[--r]);
    }
    swap(&arr[--l], &arr[beg]);
    sort(arr, beg, l);
    sort(arr, r, end);
  }
}

in Miranda:
Code: [Select]
sort [] = []
sort (a:x) = sort [ b | b <- x; b <= a ]
             ++ [a] ++
             sort [ b | b <- x; b > a ]

Just so you know. I know about Miranda, I don't know Miranda.  :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:51:54 pm by Niek »
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 02:58:03 pm »
I'm aware of that :). As I said, its up to the user to choose the language they think it could be done in the smallest code in. Hell let em write it in machine code if they wish. Besides I'm thinking of something a little bigger than a sorting algorithem.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 02:41:27 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I would personally love to see a more graphic oriented contest; something like "Create your own dungeon tileset" or something along those lines.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 03:52:51 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
I'd love to bring the Character Competition back for this Winter, while it probably wouldn't be the next contest, it would be great to have again.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 05:26:45 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Character Competition would be great to see again, I don't think we had one this past year.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 05:13:58 pm »
  • The Mike
I'd love to bring the Character Competition back for this Winter, while it probably wouldn't be the next contest, it would be great to have again.
I'd love to see it again. Oh, I sent you a PM.

Character Competition would be great to see again, I don't think we had one this past year.
We did. It started close to the end of 2008 and ended this past January or so.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 08:28:33 pm »
Question? Is there a way to add a poll to this topic for voting, because then I would like to add a poll with these options and let everyone vote on the next contest.

And have the following description added:
A number of great ideas have been given for the next competition. I thought we could have a vote on which to do. The following are the possibilities:

Story design for a programmer/scripter to implement:
Actually it can be very focused on development and the idea is also to make it focused on game development. In current big games, even games like Link's Awakening, you need people to write the story. And it has to be done in a way that scripters can understand it and put it in a game.

So what will be looked at is not only if the story is entertaining, but also if it is structured and organized enough for developers to implement in game. So it has to be clear what part is gameplay driven and interaction initiated by the player and what is a cutscene. In a Zelda game it also means what areas are accessible and when certain characters have to appear at specific places.

So my idea is that and not to write a fan-fiction. But maybe Darunia is right and is it to early for a new contest.

Implement it in the least possible lines
The language of your choice.

Implement Item/ability for the Community Project GM Minish Cap engine
I was thinking of having a contest that were a participant would program a custom item/ability for Link in the GM Minish Cap Engine. It'd help get some creative ideas out that people could use in their games before the NCFC and it would get some interest in the Community Project.
It is not everyone working in the same engine. Everyone works with a current copy of the engine and implements his/her part.

Create your own dungeon tileset
I would personally love to see a more graphic oriented contest; something like "Create your own dungeon tileset" or something along those lines.

Create a character Competition

These are the nominations. So start voting. Do note that even if your competition of choice isn't the winner, it still is a good option for later contests.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 07:46:14 am »
About adding a poll to this topic, there appears to be an option two spots to the right of reply to where you'd be able to add a poll. A quick check of the permissions for a regular member also suggests that you should be able to do this; although I can never be quite too sure as I am wrong a lot. The voting though cannot really fully dictate what the next contest will be. This isn't to say that ideas for the next one aren't welcome, just that things like a Character Competition have to be given a "viable" period of time to work right. Specifically doing that next would be rushing it not even half a year after the last one.

About the implementing an item/ability for Link using the GM Minish Cap Engine, you could run the contest for it if you wanted to as well since you have contributed a good chunk of effort into the engine itself.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 77 queries.