Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My heavy heart (aka MC-style Crystal Switches)  (Read 1514 times)

My heavy heart (aka MC-style Crystal Switches)
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:00:44 pm »
Let me say before I begin my story, that I haven't played the Oracle games to completion, or at least not to Crown Dungeon.

So when I set out to sprite the crystal switches and related blocks from LttP in an MC style, it seemed like it would be a run-of-the-mill afternoon activity. Little did I know that it would end in tears.

It began simply enough. There's a red crystal switch in Minish Cap, so I swapped out the palette of that, and made it one pixel wider (it was 15 pixels wide, a convention I don't like to follow). Then I appropriated a similar stone square from the cave tileset for the blocks that pop up.

The trouble began when I showed my edits to a friend.

"What do you think?"
"Well, shouldn't it be red rather than orange?"
"Red? Why would it be red?"
"...Because they were red in the other games?"

What a joker, I thought. Those switches were blue and orange, I lived and breathed LttP as a child. I took out my trusty colour-picker to clear this up once and for all.

Well, that certainly does look like red. In fact, it's way over at hue=0. It's purely, unmistakably red.

My heart sank. The world didn't make sense to me any more. I threw myself into my work, repalleting so that I might not have to think about my lost childhood. So here I sit before you now, a broken man. With nothing to distract me, that blood-red switch is a constant presence. It circles my mind, a buzzard waiting to claim its spoils. But at least my torment resulted in this WIP, which I present to you.

R.I.P. Orange switch, 1992-2010. The flag of my soul will forever fly at half-mast.
C+C
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:13:39 pm by Nabeshin »
Re: My heavy heart (aka MC-style Crystal Switche...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:33:46 am »
Connective pieces and corners and junk so you can make mazes or designs, letters etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:01:58 am »
They look nice, but MC already has some crystal switches.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 05:17:47 am »
Er... yeah, I know. Like I said, these switches are edited from those. But I don't think the pop-up red/blue walls are there -- I looked through all the dungeons to make sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 46 queries.