Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: OOT2D Map Project - Accepting Community Sprites - Read  (Read 204386 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: OOT2D Map Project
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:29 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I think my biggest thing is that the balance is all wrong for that particular area. The stairs are wider than the warp point, which looks off. Honestly, it'd probably be better off with the stock staircase with a missing centerpiece.
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:36 pm »
I think my biggest thing is that the balance is all wrong for that particular area. The stairs are wider than the warp point, which looks off. Honestly, it'd probably be better off with the stock staircase with a missing centerpiece.

Right, lets address this first, if you look closely you will notice that the staircase is actually two pixels shorter than the warp pad in terms of width, so it is actually smaller, not wider. Though I do admit it could give the illusion of being wider due to the fact it is out of line.

Back to the stairs issue people are concerned with in the programming. Heres how I see it, no need for any special coding at all. The bottom of the stairs will not rise above Links height. Anyone who has tried to walk under a concrete ledge which finishes below their own height will know they have to duck or crawl, so this will not be possible in the game. This allows a simple collision to be made on the line where the stairs break apart, with no issues. The top of the stairs would simply be on another layer, and therefore link would be able to walk both above and below them. As for the hook shot, have it so that link changes to the upper layer has he gets to the top of the first half of the stairs, he is then able to hookshot, giving the illusion of a diagonal.

I think that would work rather well from my own perspective as a programmer.

Moving on from that, I have now finished the Hyrule Castle Courtyard, please observe:

Criticisms are welcome as always. I also do know that the first statue (the wide one on the rock) currently sucks rather badly, and I will be fixing that at a later date, when I can think of a worthy replacement. I have changed the orientation of the main courtyard where you can find Zelda so that the perspective makes sense and has the same feel as in OOT. I am also aware of the lack of a clear entrance on the very right of this area, however because of the way doors work on the castle, portraying one is actually very difficult. It should also be noted that it is the only entrance, and the one you enter through, so the player should have no difficulties in recognising it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:29:25 pm by MaJoRa »
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2010, 02:16:36 pm »
There is something I dislike with the Triforce area, it's to detailled for a lttp based game. I put it beside the Excalibur zone in lttp :

By the way, all the colored pixels around the triforce are just black, but not the same black, rgb(16, 17, 17), rgb(17, 16, 18), etc...

At the left, a "more lttp area", and at the right, yours :

• The Legend of Zelda : Return to Hyrule...The french web-site
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »
There is something I dislike with the Triforce area, it's to detailled for a lttp based game. I put it beside the Excalibur zone in lttp :

By the way, all the colored pixels around the triforce are just black, but not the same black, rgb(16, 17, 17), rgb(17, 16, 18), etc...

At the left, a "more lttp area", and at the right, yours :

I thought some people might have an issue with the extra details LTTP doesnt have, therefore I kept my original design, which can be seen below:

• Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »
The courtyard looks nice, but needs more white castle walls. But if you want to really keep it pure ALTTP style it could be ok. It just looks a bit darker and rougher than the original one.
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2010, 09:29:14 pm »
The courtyard looks nice, but needs more white castle walls. But if you want to really keep it pure ALTTP style it could be ok. It just looks a bit darker and rougher than the original one.

I agree entirely, but this is a trade-off I had to make a choice for. LTTP areas are generally very small and busy, if you look at the style. The areas I re-create from OOT are usually huge open spaces which if converted perfectly are not busy at all, but lifeless. I constantly have to choose between perfection and fitting the style I am converting to. In this case the style won over perfection, as details in colour are excusable I think.

I have had to make this choice many times before, for example Hyrule Field... I initially tried to make it the same size as it is in game, this would have made it twice as big as it is now. Filling all of the open spaces and making them seem like they have life (even though they dont) would be very difficult. I try to look at each area and assume that if it was the section on screen, people would see more than just grass. If in one section of screen you see only grass, then in my opinion it does not fit the LTTP style.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2010, 09:48:20 pm »
Yeah I agree. Having more detail and making it fit the style is more important.
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2010, 11:06:47 am »
I tried to make an example of what I was thinking about. Only the tree needs to be a tile lower. But this was my suggestion.
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2010, 12:17:56 am »
I tried to make an example of what I was thinking about. Only the tree needs to be a tile lower. But this was my suggestion.
You still need a shadow.
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks weird without a shadow?  It throws off the perspective that it higher than the player.
LttP made use of shadows with bridges and the like so, yeah.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2010, 05:21:59 am »
I know that, my edit has many more flaws in them.

Brendan McCoy

« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2010, 12:53:21 am »
Hello again, glad to see you've made some progress! I just wanted to let you know that a long time ago I found that the Lake hylia map has a lot of tile mis-alignments. A small thing, but with OCD it's like "ARRGHHH".
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2010, 01:11:50 am »
Hello again, glad to see you've made some progress! I just wanted to let you know that a long time ago I found that the Lake hylia map has a lot of tile mis-alignments. A small thing, but with OCD it's like "ARRGHHH".

Interesting, I thought I had corrected all of them now, I would appreciate it if you could point a few out to me perhaps so I can resolve it?

Also, apologies for the lack of progress or posts the last few weeks, I have just got to uni, and freshers week is kind of mental, it's going to be a week or so before I actually get to work on this at all.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Brendan McCoy

« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2010, 01:13:38 am »
It's absolutely no problem! It's your own project you can do at your own pace, and it's nice that you share it with others. I'll edit this post in a bit to point out some of the misalignments.

EDIT:
Well I only found one, that's repeated along the bridge. You've probably fixed the ones I found before. OH WAIT! Now that I think of it, it was Zora's Fountain/grotto that had the misalignments that I was thinking of! I'll edit again with those.

Edit: after scouring it, I guess you'd fixed all the errors on Zora's Fountain as well! :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:32:48 am by Brendan McCoy »
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:04 pm »
  • Flash Software Studios
These are really looking fantastic Majora, very pleased to see you've stuck at it all these years.

flash

• http://www.myspace.com/kristruman
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2011, 01:35:32 pm »
Any new progress?
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2011, 03:03:52 pm »
I'm curious too.
 I would like to see Guerudo Fortress.
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

I don't get exactly what you're trying to say with that <_< "Make it with dungeon 2's tiles"?
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2011, 11:49:17 pm »
Make it with dungeon 2's tiles?
Yes, desert palace style.
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2011, 01:23:40 am »
;3 I too want to see gerudo fortest using dungeon 2's tiles, extra cookies if you don't add new tiles and just use lttp ones ;).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 77 queries.

anything