Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not sure if theres a thread for this yet; "Ida" primate fossile  (Read 2193 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Not sure if theres a thread for this yet; "Ida" ...
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:53:53 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
link: http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=147416005

Scientists have unveiled a 47-million-year-old fossil which could be the evolutionary "missing link" between humans and our very distant ancestors.
At a ceremony at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, Ida, a two-foot long lemur-like creature, was shown off to the world.
Discovered in Germany by a team of Norwegian scientists, Ida is 95% complete and believed to be 20 times older than most fossils which help explain human evolution.
Experts are excited because it is a transitional species, with characteristics of both primitive non-human creatures such as lemurs and also those higher up the evolutionary line, such as monkeys apes and humans.
As such it places Ida - or Darwinius masillae to give the specimen its full name - at the very root of anthropoid evolution, when primates were first beginning to develop features that would eventually evolve into our own, it is claimed.
It took a team from the University of Oslo two years to analyse and verify Ida. The specimen was unearthed in the 1980s, but it was only recently that scientists were able to analyse the complete fossil. Previously it had been split in two by private collectors.
The Oslo team concluded that Ida was a female herbivore believed to have died when she was nine months old. Scientists suggest she was overcome by carbon dioxide gas while drinking at the Messel Lake. She sank to the bottom on the waters where the unique conditions preserved her for 47 million years.
Among Ida's features are human-like opposable thumbs. She also has nails as opposed to claws and teeth, much like a monkey. Scientists also noted that her forward-facing eyes are like ours, allowing vision to overlap and allowing the creature to judge distances.
Dr Jerry Hooker, mammalian palaeontologist at the Natural History Museum, said: "The key significance of this new fossil is that it is so complete. While we do know of a few nearly complete early primate skeletons, Darwinius masillae also has fur impressions and the remains of its last meal in its gut. It is also the most complete primate skeleton from Messel itself, and the earlier ones are frustratingly incomplete in one way or another."
"Scientists can therefore now learn a lot more from this new fossil about a very early stage in primate evolution and also reconstruct aspects of its lifestyle."

I personally don't see the resemblance... Looks more like a sloth to me <_<;; It's like that whole "hobbits live on this island and were human's ancestors!", where they just try to slap evolution onto anything. Other than that, I think it's an awesome discovery simply as a new animal.
Re: Not sure if theres a thread for this yet; "I...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:57:36 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Eh, the picture really doesn't show enough to be able to see resemblance..

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:40:09 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well; there was one video that I can't seem to find now that showed an artists rendering of what it might have looked like lol... It was basically a giant sloth/lemur XD
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:48:06 pm »
Does this mean that we came from lemur/sloths now..?
Hm... I should probably put something here...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:28:04 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Does this mean that we came from lemur/sloths now..?

Nope, still squirrels and monkeys (rofl). But THOSE animals came from lemur and sloths!

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 04:39:14 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Ida is just another in a long chain of supposed common ancestors. Until someone finds a damn skeleton that actually looks like a cross between a chimpanzee and a human, I will remain unimpressed.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:58:36 pm »
Ida is just another in a long chain of supposed common ancestors. Until someone finds a damn skeleton that actually looks like a cross between a chimpanzee and a human, I will remain unimpressed.

I found one.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:04 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I found a real one.  It has no part in human evolution, but it does look like "a cross between a chimpanzee and a human".  O:

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
You're both wrong. The missing link has been in front of our faces or over 8 years now!!!

Anyway XD I haven't heard any updates on this story... I wonder what they've concluded
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 02:10:29 am »

damn, you're right, mammy!

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 02:14:53 am »
looksalike.com, MG?
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 57 queries.