Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Submission] Hyrule Field  (Read 7353 times)

[Submission] Hyrule Field
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:00:52 am »
  • It's just Max.
Still a bit of the town to finish before we start mapping the field, but I figure we should start getting some ideas down. Not really sure what the dimensions of the field are going to be, so this is totally rough and everything.

I was going for a Link to the Past kind of overworld, where everything's pretty open. But from what I gather looking at that map, there's sort of outdoor "rooms", areas that are divided up and connect with one or more other areas, and have pretty much one feature, sometimes multiple. I guess the analogy would be the map is more like a bunch of rooms that connect to one another, as opposed to rooms connected by hallways. There are no analogous hallways. I think that's one of the differences between Minish Cap's overworld and a Link to the Past's, Minish Cap seems to have more "hallway" spaces. But anyway, there's potential for caves and hidden treasures and fairy fountains and stuff all over.

Note, there are connections to the River Basin and Desert, but the main bodies of those maps shouldn't be accessible from the field, just Zora's domain and Death Valley, respectively. The connections I have here are just for little pops into those maps for treasure or whatever, not to get into the main areas.

Note again, I forgot to put an entrance to Death Valley on here, which there should be one. Maybe it's a secret entrance :p
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:03:16 am by Donotfeedthemax »
Re: [Submission] Hyrule Field
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:27:33 am »
  • Just call me Brad
Still a bit of the town to finish before we start mapping the field, but I figure we should start getting some ideas down. Not really sure what the dimensions of the field are going to be, so this is totally rough and everything.

I was going for a Link to the Past kind of overworld, where everything's pretty open. But from what I gather looking at that map, there's sort of outdoor "rooms", areas that are divided up and connect with one or more other areas, and have pretty much one feature, sometimes multiple. I guess the analogy would be the map is more like a bunch of rooms that connect to one another, as opposed to rooms connected by hallways. There are no analogous hallways. I think that's one of the differences between Minish Cap's overworld and a Link to the Past's, Minish Cap seems to have more "hallway" spaces. But anyway, there's potential for caves and hidden treasures and fairy fountains and stuff all over.

Note, there are connections to the River Basin and Desert, but the main bodies of those maps shouldn't be accessible from the field, just Zora's domain and Death Valley, respectively. The connections I have here are just for little pops into those maps for treasure or whatever, not to get into the main areas.

Note again, I forgot to put an entrance to Death Valley on here, which there should be one. Maybe it's a secret entrance :p

Nice man! I think that the entrance to death valley should be up on the to left, see how there is like a small path there? It could be opened by a bomb of by lifting a huge rock with the power gauntlets?(Like in WW)

Overall I like the design!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:37:27 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I think it would be better to have a more detailed map, but not all at once, cuadrant by cuadrant would be better. we should start with the bottom of the town and from there work our way down, left, right and up.
Hyrule Field problem
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:25:51 am »
  • Just call me Brad
I think it looks good but it need to be redesigned a little, what about the little river that leaves the slums? does´t it join to the main river or something?

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:08:51 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Hey Spritonic, just to debrief slightly on forum rules: we tend to discourage posting multiple times at once in a topic. I encourage you to edit your latest post with new content rather than posting 3 times in a row with generally the same content :).
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 02:46:06 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Hey Spritonic, just to debrief slightly on forum rules: we tend to discourage posting multiple times at once in a topic. I encourage you to edit your latest post with new content rather than posting 3 times in a row with generally the same content :).

WHOOPS! Sorry!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:46 am »
  • It's just Max.
I think it looks good but it need to be redesigned a little, what about the little river that leaves the slums? does´t it join to the main river or something?

See my post in the town map thread, I just realized this used to be a moat and a big gap in the wall wouldn't make sense. We'll close the wall and imply that stream leads to a drain inside the town. Moat drainage problems, lol gotta keep from flooding the field!

As for details, we should figure out dimensions first. This is pretty rough as you mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:19:30 am by Donotfeedthemax »
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:51:03 am »
  • It's just Max.
So I started a little on a more detailed field. It's divided into screens, which I'm estimating should be 16x12, or it looks like I might have drawn them so they need to be a little bigger, maybe 20x15 or so. We can experiment with what fits in a quadrant a little bit before we commit to the size of each. Note that each quadrant isn't necessarily going to be divided like Link's Awakening, there just there to keep things kinda in scale and break down a big intimidating overworld into manageable pieces, keep relative distances, etc. I think we decided the overworld will scroll more like a Link to the Past.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's an actual size we should fit the overworld into for some reason!? There have never been any dimensions for spaces (like dimensions of Hyrule field, River basin, Deku Swamp, or the whole overworld combined) that I've ever seen. I don't know if each section of the overworld needs to fit into each other to form a big rectangle like the Gameboy Zelda games and LTTP do, or if that's irrelevant since we're a PC game and stuff. Any advice on sizes, Steve? Anyone?

Anyway all, my man Spritonic wants to get a chunk of this taken out before he starts school and I know he can map like crazy, so if there's dimensional considerations we should be aware of, we should get on that.

Also, if we want to do anything different from standard Minish Cap tiles, this would be a good place to decide that also. For instance, if we wanted to use different cliffs, different trees, etc., it'll be better to decide that now. We should get started mapping concurrently to this discussion and if we do decide that, switch them out, but to ease that transition, the sooner we decide that, the better.

I, for one, wouldn't mind different cliffs. I started a new cliff set that works more like Gameboy cliffs, but they might need a little more work and I have to figure out how to get them off this app in NOT jpg format. Anyway, they wouldn't be too hard to substitute if we start with regular Minish Cap cliffs, so we can decide that even after we start mapping.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:57:05 am »
  • It's just Max.
Got more work done than I expected to this evening, a bit more than half a draft of the field.

Again, if anybody has any info on dimensions, that'd be great. Anyway, notes on this: the west and northwest areas aren't done, but that doesn't mean the rest is finished, we can always add more content in there. I tried to (roughly) take a cue from Zelda I and, for every quadrant division, have about one secret. Plenty of exceptions.

For the southern areas around the river, with rocks and shallow puddles, I'm imagining something like the swamp from Link to the past, puddles and lots of long grass, boulders and rocks sticking out. Not so much like swampy areas from Castor Wilds, although maybe more of that visual type of swamp would work in the Deku swamp area. Anyway.

The arrows on the edges indicate where you can access other areas. From the top left one counterclockwise, it's the Kokori Forest (no access to main area), Deku swamp, River Basin (no access to main area until you beat the Zola).

Hopefully this is enough detail to maybe get started mapping?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I'm a bit confused about the Kokiri Forest part.  Is that one only an exit since the forest is only accessible through the swamp?  Looking good though!

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I'm a bit confused about the Kokiri Forest part.  Is that one only an exit since the forest is only accessible through the swamp?  Looking good though!

I thought it was more of a shortcut to the forest if you want to go back there for some reason. See the pit and the treestump beside it for the hookshot?
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:24 pm »
Ah yes, that would make sense!

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 03:06:33 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Yup, that. Or it goes to an area if the forest that isn't connected to the main area, it's just a little place where theres a puzzle/treasure, but you can't access the main part. Either way.

I was imagining a few of those. Places where you can get to an unimportant part of the area just for fun, but can't really break sequence.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 03:12:25 pm »
That actually sounds like a great idea

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I´m wondering what the two buildings in front of the town are. One is the vault but the other?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 03:31:11 pm »
  • It's just Max.
The one on the right is a vault, the structure on the left (with the statue), isn't a building, it's a stone retaining wall, and atop the cliff it's holding up, is the statue. If that makes sense.

I probably should have drawn it more like a cliff, because that's basically what it is, just a man-made one.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 03:39:14 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
The one on the right is a vault, the structure on the left (with the statue), isn't a building, it's a stone retaining wall, and atop the cliff it's holding up, is the statue. If that makes sense.

I probably should have drawn it more like a cliff, because that's basically what it is, just a man-made one.
OOOH OK! Now I get it!
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 06:07:05 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Fleshed the rest out. There's gonna have to be a bit of custom cliffs by the waterfall near the entrance to Goron Mountain, but it should be pretty easy to do since it's just a little bit.

There's a few ruined areas, I'm imagining it kinda like in Twilight Princess where in Hyrule field there's all these ruined stone areas, there's a few pillars standing and the ground as some leftover stone floor that overgrown with grass, you just see a few cobblestones or whatever here and there.

Are there any confusing bits? Ideas to make it better?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 74 queries.

anything