Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox360 Achievements  (Read 1316 times)

Xbox360 Achievements
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:18 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the the appeal of getting an achievement is? I've owned a 360 for 3 years now and I've never found myself elated to get an acheivement. It doesn't unlock anything, all it is, is text saying that you've done something. I miss it when games rewarded you with an item or ability for pulling off something amazing, but now achievments have become a selling point, but I ask why?

P.S. I got the itch to do this rant when people listed on www.joystiq.com their reason to get GTAIV on the 360 instead of the PS3 as getting the achievements. Just seems so pointless to me... I dunno... someone open my eyes.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
Re: Xbox360 Achievements
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:53:54 pm »
It's like the little smiley faces you got in school when you got a A+.
So give me you're code and add mine:
Code: 4296-2644-3642

Sorry guys.  I just don't have the time anymore for the CP.  Working two jobs and just having a couple hours to play my Wii and continue learning programming just is not leaving me free time to focus on the CP.  I feel that it's my obligation to step aside as Level Director.  It's just a time issue.  Since I am also a global mod that also takes some of my focus from the CP.  So, it's nothing against anybody or what not, I'm just out of time anymore it seems.  Sorry again.
wtf, i remember posts that used to have content explaining reasons rather than ways to get rises out of users with a youtube video and no reason as to why!

How to post maturely:
epic intolerance, I caught aids from the stupidity in your post

why not issue everyone 5 opinion tokens for each year, if they voice their opinion without presenting a token- they can be legally murdered
Make sure every post you make is mature like these two (and there's many more). You just can't beat ZFGC's friendliness and maturity!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:58:31 pm »
  • :D
Think of them like little trophies.  Theres no actual POINT to trophies, but they're fun to collect and show off anyway.

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:51:58 pm »
They're like little ego-boosts that wouldn't have been in the game normally at all. They never replace bonus items or anything like that, so they're a neat addition.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:17:43 am »
They're like little ego-boosts that wouldn't have been in the game normally at all. They never replace bonus items or anything like that, so they're a neat addition.
Don't they give you points to buy stuff on xbox live?
So give me you're code and add mine:
Code: 4296-2644-3642

Sorry guys.  I just don't have the time anymore for the CP.  Working two jobs and just having a couple hours to play my Wii and continue learning programming just is not leaving me free time to focus on the CP.  I feel that it's my obligation to step aside as Level Director.  It's just a time issue.  Since I am also a global mod that also takes some of my focus from the CP.  So, it's nothing against anybody or what not, I'm just out of time anymore it seems.  Sorry again.
wtf, i remember posts that used to have content explaining reasons rather than ways to get rises out of users with a youtube video and no reason as to why!

How to post maturely:
epic intolerance, I caught aids from the stupidity in your post

why not issue everyone 5 opinion tokens for each year, if they voice their opinion without presenting a token- they can be legally murdered
Make sure every post you make is mature like these two (and there's many more). You just can't beat ZFGC's friendliness and maturity!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:09:21 am »
No, gamerscore != whatever the xbox live currency is.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 03:30:39 am »
that would be cool if it was the currency...o well

but theyre fun to say to friends "oOoOoOoOoOoOoO, i had just a FEW more points than you!

xbox live: kirkking look me up!

your Romanian Captain Kirk speaking....yes i said Romanian....
dang it doesn't sound near as impressive on a worldwide board, than in a class of all Oklahomans, lol

-The non DJ Jordan.

When life gives you lemons, THROW THEM BACK AND DEMAND LIMES!"
thomas combs

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 03:35:23 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
o.0 I've actually found achievements to be the driving force of the console for me :o... It gives me goals in games and makes me keep my interest :P

I wouldnt have played Halo 3 to death if it werent for the achievements lol (that game is so lame >_<)

ali

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 03:39:18 am »
o.0 I've actually found achievements to be the driving force of the console for me :o... It gives me goals in games and makes me keep my interest :P

I wouldnt have played Halo 3 to death if it werent for the achievements lol (that game is so lame >_<)
Same here

However PS3 Home is gonna kill XBOX live

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 03:44:44 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Same here

However PS3 Home is gonna kill XBOX live

lol once the PS3 gets achievements I'll buy it :P

I actually like both systems tight butthole, but from a development standpoint, I dont care to touch the PS3 :(
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:48:47 pm »
I can definitely see it as a way to reach goals, especially in games that are pretty linear and not much replay value, but I think developers aren't going as far as they can with bonus and extra content in games anymore, all they seem to offer is achievements.

I mean, ultimate mortal kombat 3, fantastic arcade game with 3 hidden characters. Its ported the Sega genesis and they give you those 3 characters by default, give you 3 secret menus, and 2 hidden playable boss characters, and a hidden costume/character(cyborg smoke->ninja smoke).

Ok, that stuff isn't something you earn, but what game does that anymore? It's still adding content that was not there when you first play through, not some message that says 'You're the bee's knees!'

I dunno, it's probably something to do with the huge cost and crunch time those smaller developers get, but I like knowing when I play through a game that I've missed or that I can earn a bazillion things that will add so much replay value(GTAIV :D)
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
Windows XP SP2

- Trask

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:00:10 pm »
One point of anecdotal evidence from the early 1990's probably isn't going to help your case :P

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 04:25:53 pm »
Metal Gear Solid - PSX - Let Meryl die, you get stealth, help her live you get unlimited ammo
MGS2 - PS2 - Collect X amount of dog tags and you get the above
MGS3 - PS2 - Kill bosses in certain ways - get different camos and weapons

GTA Series - Do X amount of taxi, vigilante, fire, or EMS missions - Get infinte sprint, fireproof, etc...

Boulder's Gate 2 - I believe if you just  beat the game, you get 1 unlockable character, and with a code you can then unlock another

Mortal kombat: Shaolin Monks - find various hidden items, you get up to 5(i think) unlockable characters.

Resident Evil series - Beat certain time limits, get infinite rocket launcher or various other infiinite weapons and costumes.

I can go on, but I don't think I can ever list the majority of games. These were skimmed off of the top of my head and they involve similar points to how you get acheivements today. I mean, you do X amount of something or find something and nowadays you'll get text says 'Yay!', then you simply buy the next weapon or something to that effect. You don't earn anything, you either save up for it or it doesn't exist.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
Windows XP SP2

- Trask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 63 queries.