Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: If you square a unicorn, do you get a negative horse?  (Read 5307 times)

If you square a unicorn, do you get a negative h...
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:58:58 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
I shall attempt to attack this problem later tonight.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
Re: If you square a unicorn, do you get a negati...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:55 pm »
In terms of zoology, a modern unicorn is depicted as similar to a horse, but a traditional unicorn has parts of other animals.  To assume that it is just an imaginary horse is technically incorrect.  Oh, and to the people who haven't taken math classes, there is a concept where the square root of a -1 equals i which is an imaginary number.  Squaring i thus gives you a -1.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:12:35 pm »
In terms of zoology, a modern unicorn is depicted as similar to a horse, but a traditional unicorn has parts of other animals.  To assume that it is just an imaginary horse is technically incorrect.  Oh, and to the people who haven't taken math classes, there is a concept where the square root of a -1 equals i which is an imaginary number.  Squaring i thus gives you a -1.

So if I were to square my imaginarey friend it'd equal -1?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:16:18 pm »
No, the original post assumed that a unicorn was just an imaginary horse; i is an imaginary number and -1 is a real number.  You would get a really negative friend, but really, mathematical concepts such as this are not applicable to things beyond numbers really.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:19:33 pm »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
Maybe your negative friends would be made of antimatter? Thus, you couldn't touch it or it would just about destroy earth. Not even air could touch it D:

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:22:52 pm »
With negative friends such as that, who needs enemies?  Technically, imaginary can be anything thought up that has not really been put through the scientific method.  But yeah, dark matter has atoms that are of the opposite spin which is kind of a negativity.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:09:46 am »
Theory one shot down by 4Sword. Onto Theory two!

Suppose I have the number system mod equidae. In my system, I have five numbers--Horse, Donkey, Unicorn, Kiang, and Zebra.

Unicorn^2 (mod equidae) = Unicorn (mod equidae) * Unicorn (mod equidae) = Kiang (mod equidae)
However, Kiang (mod equidae) = -Horse (mod equidae) under the mod equidae system, as 5 - 1 = 4.

THEREFORE

Unicorn^2 (mod equidae) = Unicorn * Unicorn (mod equidae) = -Horse (mod equidae)

It's late and I've had a lot of HW, there's probably something wrong with my logic as I made this up pretty quick <_< If so please point it out. I WILL PROVE THIS RIGHT.

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:32:48 am »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
That makes sense to me. It means horse is a negative number. So -horse would be a positive number.

If horse is -4, then "--4" would be 4.

Or maybe I'm stupid and my knowledge of math is flawed. But this makes perfect sense to me.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 04:54:50 am »
Unicorn^2 (mod equidae) = Unicorn (mod equidae) * Unicorn (mod equidae) = Kiang (mod equidae).  However, Kiang (mod equidae) = -Horse (mod equidae) under the mod equidae system, as 5 - 1 = 4.

This seems like a fallacious assumption to me.  You've only introduced the intermediary value Kiang, as a replacement of your direct definition of the value as -Horse previously.  So this is really the same argument as before, and just as wrong.

Aside from that, your definition of Unicorn2 = Kiang = -Horse under Mod Equidae seems to be unsupported, or even negated by usual zoological-mathematical logic.  If Kiang = -Horse, then Kiang + Horse = 0, which just is not the case, given that Kiangs do not obliterate horses upon contact.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:56:27 am by Nabeshin »
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:28:17 am »
Unicorn^2 (mod equidae) = Unicorn (mod equidae) * Unicorn (mod equidae) = Kiang (mod equidae).  However, Kiang (mod equidae) = -Horse (mod equidae) under the mod equidae system, as 5 - 1 = 4.

This seems like a fallacious assumption to me.  You've only introduced the intermediary value Kiang, as a replacement of your direct definition of the value as -Horse previously.  So this is really the same argument as before, and just as wrong.

Aside from that, your definition of Unicorn2 = Kiang = -Horse under Mod Equidae seems to be unsupported, or even negated by usual zoological-mathematical logic.  If Kiang = -Horse, then Kiang + Horse = 0, which just is not the case, given that Kiangs do not obliterate horses upon contact.

It's modular arithmetic, not standard. In mod 5, which is all this is, 4 = -1. 2^2 = 4, (-2)^2 = 4, (-1)^2 = 1. I'm still learning it all, it's really not hard, but kind of confusing at first to think about. It's all under the basis that numbers will repeat, like binary is basically mod 2, only composed of 0's and 1's. You can represent any number with those two numbers, but it's gonna loop around. It's a little different though because binary you can build chunks, whereas in modular arithmetic (to my knowledge) you can only represent numbers as different numbers.

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:12:20 am »
I know modular arithmetic, yeah.  It just didn't occur to me at the time that your set of equines was ordered.

Your order is arbitrary, however.  You could move Zebra where Horse is and you'd have Unicorn2 = Zebra, and that's certainly not right.  Not only that, but you could add other equines into the set, again interfering with the order.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:17:45 am »
I know modular arithmetic, yeah.  It just didn't occur to me at the time that your set of equines was ordered.

Your order is arbitrary, however.  You could move Zebra where Horse is and you'd have Unicorn2 = Zebra, and that's certainly not right.  Not only that, but you could add other equines into the set, again interfering with the order.

It's arbitrary because I made it up though <_< It's kind of hard to name numbers after animals and have it not be linked to the numbers. And I'm not adding other equines into the set because that is the set.

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:20:58 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
This entire thread confuses me :\
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 03:15:42 pm »
This entire thread confuses me :\

Joined that club ^

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 12:16:44 am »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
Bah, I've already resolved this issue. With corollaries. This Essay Resolves the debate. There may be a few errors with my primes, I don't think I checked them right.
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 03:02:18 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
We were discussing something similar in my math class. Someone asked what would happen if you squared Santa Claus. My teacher said he would try it. Then we had to go to lunch, but when we came back, I informed my teacher that he would inadvertently create Negative Santa, and not to get himself into a dangerous situation such as that.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:52:22 am »
Bah, I've already resolved this issue. With corollaries. This Essay Resolves the debate. There may be a few errors with my primes, I don't think I checked them right.

but I don't understand WHY the imaginary of an imaginary is i * i. I just don't follow your logic there.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 06:02:11 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Squared Unicorn is delicious. Especially in a cobb salad.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »
  • Lul
It depends on if it's a negative or positive unicorn, you know all unicorns aren't happy!
<__<

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 01:54:30 am »
  • Yes, I am mocking you

but I don't understand WHY the imaginary of an imaginary is i * i. I just don't follow your logic there.
Because it's the imagination of imagination. hence, it's the square of it.
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 74 queries.