Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tribe has Spoken  (Read 11435 times)

The Tribe has Spoken
« on: March 23, 2008, 05:17:49 am »
The last few weeks have been kind of chaotic for ZFGC, it looks as if my attempts at trying to persuade ZFGC towards change has turned into quiet a mess. I apologize to the users, staff and anyone else whom I perhaps have let down. I want to thank everyone who was open and honest about things as well when it comes to what the issues really are around here. You guys know who you are and I specifically sent the majority of you messages or replies back to your posts. Thank you for that it is 100% appreciated.

I also want to specifically thank BuffaloBurgers for pointing out the fact Administrators should be less ho-hum about things. I can be blunt sometimes, which gets me into a lot of trouble, but thank you for standing your ground. Administrative discuss, as I consistently lobbied in the past, should be discussed with staff only.

Helios and I have spent some time talking about ZFGC’s options. I know a lot of you guys favor no change at all, but as Administrator’s it is our responsibility to evolve the website. We’re very aware that while our ideas for advancing development recently were good at first, the system itself does not function very well. We’ve both got separate ideas but we’re working towards compromising how we’d like to see things run. The Wiki seems to be moving forward last I checked, along with several ideas I introduced in a plan a few days back to the moderation staff. We’re also working on getting ZFGC switched over to SMF 2.0, which I think will definitely advance our abilities.
ors one thing I favor another, I think we’ve finally come to a compromise regarding that and its looking a head. He’s got some community involvement ideas going along, the Wiki idea seems to be progressing and hopefully some of the ideas I developed recently will go into place. We’re working on getting ZFGC switched over to SMF 2.0 (the current public beta that was recently released).

I hope things will move forward with everyone. Right now I think we should all stop our bickering and go back to the way things were before. I think Mammy and the crew are going to be working up some nifty events in the coming weeks and I hope we can settle our differences and be a family again (cheesy!).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:13:59 am by 4Sword »
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
Re: The Tribe has Spoken
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 05:20:14 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I don't recall ever being opposed to change, really. In fact, I think I was one of the advocates. Regardless, I'm glad to see that you're doing more the evolve the forum. Just one question though: Will there be any downtime?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 05:21:33 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I don't recall ever being opposed to change, really. In fact, I think I was one of the advocates. Regardless, I'm glad to see that you're doing more the evolve the forum. Just one question though: Will there be any downtime?
Yes, thats all I'm worried about.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 05:22:28 am »
Andrew, can I call you, daddy?
I welcome the change.  I just hope resources and tutorials gets a overhaul in the end...
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 05:23:13 am »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
Downtime doesn't bother me, i mean it's understandable that some of us have lives and shouldn't be here every second they're able to.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 05:32:33 am »
oh so now we're a tribe, you're such an !@#$% vash <3

But seriously, just relax man, we're all stupid zfgcers and I'm pretty sure we're all gonna stick around to the point zfgc becomes a... fetish community or something
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 05:36:26 am »
oh so now we're a tribe, you're such an !@#$% vash <3

But seriously, just relax man, we're all stupid zfgcers and I'm pretty sure we're all gonna stick around to the point zfgc becomes a... fetish community or something
Midna pr0n?!?!

>_>  Sorry, couldn't resist...

ANYWAYS, glad to hear that you guys are still willing to work on ZFGC.  It's nice to see this place continue.  I think we all owe the administration a great big thank you.  THANK YOU!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 05:39:29 am »
Sucking up fails Fanu!

Anyway, there will be no downtime, except in the case of a few hours which is when we'd be launching the features or something like that. Sometimes that requires downtime. I will also have a period of time every few weeks when I do a database backup. I'll probably do that on the slowest days at the slowest hour (whatever the average is). That and the time slot in which we switch to SMF 2.0.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 05:43:08 am »
Sucking up fails Fanu!

Anyway, there will be no downtime, except in the case of a few hours which is when we'd be launching the features or something like that. Sometimes that requires downtime. I will also have a period of time every few weeks when I do a database backup. I'll probably do that on the slowest days at the slowest hour (whatever the average is). That and the time slot in which we switch to SMF 2.0.
Eh, fair enough.  I still want to thank you, even though I've been critical of you many times I hope there's no hard feelings.  Anyways..., time to go back to WoW I think....
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:57:01 am »
Sucking up fails Fanu!

Eh, fair enough.  I still want to thank you, even though I've been critical of you many times I hope there's no hard feelings.  Anyways..., time to go back to WoW I think....
Never any hard feelings with me, unless you hurt someone I care about, then we have issues. I was just teasing you anyway. Enjoy WoW! :)
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 06:09:11 am »
So it sounds like there aren't going to be any major changes... I'm fine with that.  Although I proposed several radical changes in the previous topic I'm fine with a few small tweaks here and there.  Change can be good but it's not really worth it if it loses half of the community in the process.  Contests, competitions, and events are always nice, as is subtle evolution and change, (instead of something drastic).  If this works for all of you, it works for me.  You guys keep things going and are doing the work, so do what you must.

Keep me updated on that other project, (outside of ZFGC), that you brought up a few days ago.  I'm interested in any progress it may or may not have.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 06:21:44 am »
I agree with Domo. I'm interested to see what these little changes will be. I'm glad to see the Wiki may finally be introduced eventually. From Ezboard, to invision, to smf, to zfgc-x, back to normal ZFGC, a lot of us have been with the community for awhile. i know a lot of us would hate to see this place die. This is basically the only forum i'm really truely active and post on anymore.

If there is eventually a major change, that basically effects everything, it may be better to slowly move us towards it instead of just shoving us to it.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 06:43:25 am »
There might be some major changes, it really depends on the abilities SMF 2.0 gives us. It looks pretty damn awesome, I'm tinkering around with it now. I think that perhaps I'll open it up with everyone to play with. It wont be a live forum, or a spam forum, but a something to test features with. There really is absolutely nothing to hide and we're going to have to work out development bugs anyway.

I *hope* that all of our 'features' will be addons just as they are now, we just want to tweak them to make them work correctly. I also have plans for a main website, it will probably be kind of portalish in some aspects, but I think there is a lot more we can do with it. It will just take some integration.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 06:50:10 am »
There might be some major changes, it really depends on the abilities SMF 2.0 gives us. It looks pretty damn awesome, I'm tinkering around with it now. I think that perhaps I'll open it up with everyone to play with. It wont be a live forum, or a spam forum, but a something to test features with. There really is absolutely nothing to hide and we're going to have to work out development bugs anyway.

I *hope* that all of our 'features' will be addons just as they are now, we just want to tweak them to make them work correctly. I also have plans for a main website, it will probably be kind of portalish in some aspects, but I think there is a lot more we can do with it. It will just take some integration.

Ah, that's cool. Testing features is good. Be careful with the whole website thing. I'd rather not it be a rehash of project X where it failed because everything going wrong. Then there was DSR which basically headed down because no one really updated it. Although i have faith that you guys have learned from past mistakes on the website front. A portal type website would be good.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 06:58:57 am »

Ah, that's cool. Testing features is good. Be careful with the whole website thing. I'd rather not it be a rehash of project X where it failed because everything going wrong. Then there was DSR which basically headed down because no one really updated it. Although i have faith that you guys have learned from past mistakes on the website front. A portal type website would be good.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. We shouldn't try too hard to force any changes, because we already saw how that turned out. We ended up splitting ourselves in two. It took awhile for us to come back from that disaster.

Not to say that I don't trust you guys, I definitely think you're doing a great job, and something needs to happen. I just don't think we should be trying too hard, but you seem to have a good handle on the situation.

I'm really not sure if I'm getting my point across, or if I even had a point to begin with, but hopefully you guys understand what I'm saying.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 08:09:31 am »
Project-x was a failure for one core reason, we forced a game development community to change into a general gaming community, which eventually lead into it being absorbed by DSRevolution. DSR's failure was a in-part to us not being able to find people to write for us, among other reasons. Sadly the same goes for WiiBreak. DSR's came a long way though, from where it started, GameCubeNetwork.com. It lived a fairly long life and was also liberated from control from FileFront. The fact that I still continue to have FileFront.com managers on my AIM list amazes me.

None the less, nothing we do will be on the scale of Project-X. Our goal here is to express creativity, have fun and make games.

Mammy is working on putting together some events as we speak, I've sent off a few sponsorship requests tonight to a few development companies. We want to not only focus on GM, but Garage Games, Visual Studio Express, Xbox Live, WiiWare, anything we can get our hands on. We should not limit ourselves, nor our creativity.

Zelda is still our focus, it always will be, but we -should not- limit ourselves to that.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 08:13:56 am »
Project-x was a failure for one core reason, we forced a game development community to change into a general gaming community, which eventually lead into it being absorbed by DSRevolution. DSR's failure was a in-part to us not being able to find people to write for us, among other reasons. Sadly the same goes for WiiBreak. DSR's came a long way though, from where it started, GameCubeNetwork.com. It lived a fairly long life and was also liberated from control from FileFront. The fact that I still continue to have FileFront.com managers on my AIM list amazes me.

None the less, nothing we do will be on the scale of Project-X. Our goal here is to express creativity, have fun and make games.

Mammy is working on putting together some events as we speak, I've sent off a few sponsorship requests tonight to a few development companies. We want to not only focus on GM, but Garage Games, Visual Studio Express, Xbox Live, WiiWare, anything we can get our hands on. We should not limit ourselves, nor our creativity.

Zelda is still our focus, it always will be, but we -should not- limit ourselves to that.
Interesting...I would not have thought of sponserships, though could that have a negative effect of say copyright infringements during fan game events?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 02:31:07 pm »

Interesting...I would not have thought of sponserships, though could that have a negative effect of say copyright infringements during fan game events?

It could, but my reasoning is as follows.

Any contests we hold in relation to fan games will not have those types of prizes. It's unfair to the company who would sponsor the contest. I explained to the people whom i emailed, that I felt that Fan game development was a 'gateway' to game development. I used the concept of 'story starters', we remember those from grade and middle school, those things the teacher would read to us then we'd complete the story on. It's essentially the same concept when it comes to fan game development. Fan games give us a base to work from, where we go from there is creativity. Our site has been up for a long time, and I strongly feel that if Nintendo felt we were harming them, they would have informed us by now. My goal is never to profit from this website, my goal is to provide a place for people to develop , communicate and enjoy.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 04:14:50 pm »
A worthwile goal. Money isn't everything. Enjoyment in what you do is better. And goals can help you get to that enjoyment.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 75 queries.