Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Criticise this for me please?  (Read 2848 times)

Criticise this for me please?
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:11:56 pm »
Recently my dad has been having trouble at work, simply put he hasn't been being paid, so this month he has handed in is resignation and will be setting up business on his own. He works in the IT sector so he will be setting up a business and he asked me to design a logo / website etc.

I already have a logo, so that isn't my concern. What I am looking at however is the website design itself, this is what I have come up with so far:

The look I am going for is highly professional, and I am looking for criticism on the design, the text is a filler only. Please note also I have space for the email of the company and telephone on the bottom bar (the right hand side), this just hasn't been included for obvious reasons.

Can you please criticise this highly and also make some suggestions for me so that I can improve it? I am not exactly high on time so I would appreciate all quick responses.

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:13:44 pm by MaJoRa »
  • Elliott Parkinson
Re: Criticise this for me please?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:32:12 pm »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
I think you should change the white background into a greyish-black background. Also, on the logo, I think you should mix the P's tail with the I and make the It Solutions bigger.
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:01:37 pm »
Nah, the white is fine. It gives an excellent contrast with the blue and dark grey.

This design is great as it is. The blue in the logo and the Microsoft badge go with the background, and the white contrasts the other two colours in a very pleasing way. My only concern is that it looks somewhat generic, because many websites in this genre have a very similar setup. Since the only fix for that would be something like a complete redesign, and since you're low-ish on time, I would stick with what you have here.

I do have one minor idea, and that would be to add a dividing line between the main white page and the silver header and footer. It's not entirely necessary, but the sudden switch from gradient to white is a bit jarring. Another "fix" you might try for that would be to have the header gradient blend from silver to white, with the white continuing throughout and culminating in silver again with the gradient at the bottom.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I think it looks great as is. Do NOTHING to the logo; it's fine as well. Adding additional flare takes away from the professional feeling.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:05:39 am »
  • Xiphirx
I noticed that you have no footer, are you planning on adding one?

Try adding a light gray border around your main content div (the one that holds the text).

At the header, split the header diagonally right before the certified logo and make the right side of the diagonal a blue gradient similar to your background

thats what I would do
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:01:57 am »
Ok so I have looked at some of the suggestions and made a few changes. Below are two versions because I am not exactly sure which is best at the moment. I have a feeling although the bottom one looks slightly better it is less professional. I tried the blue gradient in the header but unfortunately the Microsoft logo I have there has issues with blobs of white, so I can't get it to look right.

• Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:27:27 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
I like the bottem one. But I still think you should take my logo crit into consideration.
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 07:39:21 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
mix the T with the S, the olu with the E and the C with the microsoft certified on the right hand side
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:48:10 am »
Ok so I have looked at some of the suggestions and made a few changes. Below are two versions because I am not exactly sure which is best at the moment. I have a feeling although the bottom one looks slightly better it is less professional. I tried the blue gradient in the header but unfortunately the Microsoft logo I have there has issues with blobs of white, so I can't get it to look right.

I think the top one looks the best and also a lot more professional. I also assume that the text is still placeholder, because it discusses a company called "YOU Systems" and not Aptec IT Solutions.

What I am still wondering about is, how you will do the scrolling when the page is too long for the screen? Will the entire page be scrolled or only the main text on the page and leave the menu and title image always visible.

Second what is your targeted width for the webpage?

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:08:48 am »
  • Xiphirx
I believe you are missing content boxes on the side that should advertise some services. Stuff like "Get a free quote" or "See our plans" or something of the sort. Shouldn't there be company news as well? I think an accordion type news ticker will fit nicely at the top.

Right now, it looks unfinished since you only have navigation and some content. The footer is not too appealing, and will generally go unnoticed. I believe a large column type footer will be the best. In the footer, be sure to include the company's logo faded in gray as well.

Not sure on the amount of pages you might have, but I might suggest a search function if it is quite large.

You are also missing a relevant graphic (business men, mainframes are some common ones) that should go nicely with the front page text.

The background looks melded with the page, which is not good imo. I think content should be seperate from backgrounds, so adding a drop shadow on your container div should do the trick.

The menu bar should have some sort of indication of where you currently are, a simple arrow cutting in from the top should look nice.

Oh, it sounds like I am ordering you, that's just how I do criticism, don't take it as ordering ;)
  • For The Swarm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 58 queries.

anything