Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [NEW DEMO V.2] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Oracle  (Read 26810 times)

Re: [New Trailer] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Orac...
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »
Re: [New Demo!!] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Oracl...
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 04:25:47 pm »

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 08:34:27 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
diggin the demo and the style, im always a sucker for a good platformer and its nice to see someone inspired by Zelda II!

cant wait to see what the future holds for this :D
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 07:07:05 am »
Alrighty, jumping in to check this one out myself. The screenshots looked pretty nice and I enjoyed seeing the video demos. Still, might wanna update the link at the beginning to the newest demo. Went for that first before realizing there was a newer one. Took me a moment to catch onto the style of music, but it's pretty nice. They're pretty cool redone versions of the Zelda songs.

Are the blobs enemies original to Zelda II, Chuchus, or what are they? I noticed they weren't listed.

Before you mentioned that you're pulling sprites and tiles from different games. Are you thinking of eventually replacing them and finding someone to help out? Wondering mostly because some of the art styles don't mesh or match together so well. Seeing Link's field sprite next to the rock pile is a little jarring. However all of the animations for Link- his jumping, slashing, and especially his side jumping -look fantastic. I love all that. The visuals of the enemies are really great too. There's a strong learning curve behind how to fight some of them and that's pretty nice.

By the way, when the skulls (bubbles?) hit you, Link doesn'y flinch at all like with other enemies. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, considering they could appear in pretty tight spots... and one glitched through the walls on me in the palace. Started hurting me through them.

The controls were a little difficult. At first, I didn't expect not all of wasd to be used rather than just a and d and originally thought w would be jump, especially since it's the 'up' button in the field map. It does make sense to me now since it affects the direction weapons go.

I'm not sure if the shield really works or if it's actually supposed to do anything. It's listed on the button controls but I don't see it do anything or protect Link from even the Deku's attacks. Also if you hit items with the boomerang you actually lose them completely if you boomerang them off the screen (the boomerang isn't shown coming back either) or they fall just in front of you instead of automatically getting collected and you can't pick them up with your sword either. That feels a little weird. But it's really satisfying to see this slight effect where the items gravitate in towards Link when he walks close to them.

I also didn't really get that you have to mouse over to press continue or quit or if there even was a menu. It might be good to add a readme including controls in a zipped folder. When I got in, I didn't really know what to do. I could only guess based on earlier posts and what was shown in the battle screen.

In the east town after the cave, you couldn't leave from the right side of town. Is this intentional?

I'm a little curious how precise you have to be when getting in caves. It felt like you had to walk right in perfectly. Might be good to have it so there's some leeway so that the player 'slides' in towards the entrance of the cave when the head up to it. Not forced inward of course but if they walk in that direction.

Even though enemies can fall into holes, for some reason I couldn't hit them into the holes. If you get in battle with a cluster of enemies, they can keep on bouncing you. You do have some invulnerability for a short time but if they keep bouncing you you can get hurt in that time. Maybe make Link invulnerable until he actually hits the ground? It also really sucks that enemies can bounce off object and back into Link to hurt him. If they're too close to something, I just can't attack and then can just continue whaling on me.

Getting one heart makes the sound of many heart recoveries when you don't have full health. It gives me the impression I was recovering a lot more at once than I was. Had to look back up at the hearts to recognize that I wasn't. I like how when you do continue you have less rupees than when you started with; that's pretty fair. Although when I do.. the boomerang continues to come back and since Link isn't there it just continues to hover in place.

I got stuck at the second elevator in the palace. I went down it and a Daria was straight below. I tried the boomerang at first, but that missed and so I tried going down. The elevator got stuck on the enemy and wouldn't go anywhere and Link was partially stuck in a wall now. I started to hit the enemy again and the elevator crept down until it went all the way. Got hurt in the process but I got down. The enemy seemed to have gotten stuck in the process though.

Aaaand that's it! That was pretty fun and cool!  It wasn't too frustrating, more of just me being picky and noticing a lot. XP It was really, really nice and fun. For some reason, I thought the logo for the game had first appeared around the time that the Valley of the Flood hoax was going around before Skyward Sword. That's weird. XP

----

Also, the new screenshots look pretty great! I can't wait to see how each of the items works in the game and discover each of the locations shown. Also pretty nice to see some upcoming NPCs.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:47:56 am by NasiDe »
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 09:24:41 am »
Thanks for playing guy! and NesiDE, I appreciate the review! Ive been having a lot of issues with collision pertaining mostly to the fact that getting hit from certain enemies will knock you back constantly, pushing Link through walls and such. For the next demo I took out the knock-back all together for now. This should erase the constantly bouncing off enemies problem.

The slime enemy sprites are from Maple story lol. I could'nt find a good slime sprite that fit the 32x32 style of the game so I just used them. I will be updating most of the sprites with my own custom in the future.

The Link sprites are by gregarlink10 on deviant art. His page can be found here. http://gregarlink10.deviantart.com/
Ive contacted him multiple times with no reply.  :P However the sheet does say its free to use so credit to him for epicness!
The shield still doesn't do anything right now. The 'I' button has been changed to interact with objects instead of highlighting an item you cannot use yet.  I'm thinking of maybe using 'E' in the full version for the shield. I will decide once I code the action into the game. As of right now his shield is just decoration lol

I fixed the enemy/elevator problem by adding boundaries for the Red Daria and Slimes. They cannot move under an elevator anymore. 'I was having trouble with this myself'

Right now I am spriting the first boss from Zelda 2 for the end of the Palace.

HorseHead

I was attempting to sprite Link myself for the sake of original material. But unfortunately the outcome was quite terrible :p as you can see http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/sirbrownie/Public%20Viewing/Sprite%20Art%20Viewing/enemys.png

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 12:39:36 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
Thanks for playing guy! and NesiDE, I appreciate the review! Ive been having a lot of issues with collision pertaining mostly to the fact that getting hit from certain enemies will knock you back constantly, pushing Link through walls and such. For the next demo I took out the knock-back all together for now. This should erase the constantly bouncing off enemies problem.

The slime enemy sprites are from Maple story lol. I could'nt find a good slime sprite that fit the 32x32 style of the game so I just used them. I will be updating most of the sprites with my own custom in the future.

The Link sprites are by gregarlink10 on deviant art. His page can be found here. http://gregarlink10.deviantart.com/
Ive contacted him multiple times with no reply.  :P However the sheet does say its free to use so credit to him for epicness!
The shield still doesn't do anything right now. The 'I' button has been changed to interact with objects instead of highlighting an item you cannot use yet.  I'm thinking of maybe using 'E' in the full version for the shield. I will decide once I code the action into the game. As of right now his shield is just decoration lol

I fixed the enemy/elevator problem by adding boundaries for the Red Daria and Slimes. They cannot move under an elevator anymore. 'I was having trouble with this myself'

HorseHead

I was attempting to sprite Link myself for the sake of original material. But unfortunately the outcome was quite terrible :p as you can see http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/sirbrownie/Public%20Viewing/Sprite%20Art%20Viewing/enemys.png

Youre crazy! That's a pretty good link sprite, better than what I could do :p I'm really digging the dark tone you have going with this project, do you have a plot written?
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 08:02:25 pm »
Thanks for playing guy! and NesiDe, I appreciate the review! Ive been having a lot of issues with collision pertaining mostly to the fact that getting hit from certain enemies will knock you back constantly, pushing Link through walls and such. For the next demo I took out the knock-back all together for now. This should erase the constantly bouncing off enemies problem.

No worries, I was glad to help out! Occasionally worried I might've actually been going on about too much actually.

That change in collision and knockback sounds good. It was familiar from the original Zelda II (for Link at least) but it might fix some problems. Looking forward to see how that helps.

Ive contacted him multiple times with no reply. :P However the sheet does say its free to use so credit to him for epicness!

Ah, alright then! That explains it a bit. It seems like it works out pretty well. They do heavily remind me of the original enemies from  The Adventure of Link and it's really great to hear that they'll be new sprite and tiles. I can't wait to see how it looks in the final product!

As for Gregarlink10, it looks like the last thing before his art upload today was at around Sept. 16. Unless you've been trying since way before then, it might explain the lack of response. Glad to hear that about the free to use part though. As for credits, it might be a good idea to have the original sources and credits listed in the original post so we know who they are from there.

The change to action does sound like a good idea. Grouping the shield to the movement section might be a little odd though. Ease of access while movement is good to keep in mind (unless you can't do that?). Since it's an 'action' of sorts, maybe it'd be good to map it to either U or the left bracket since it's on either side of the other action buttons and keeping movement and the weapon and item actions quick to access would be good. Just my thoughts at least. ;)

I fixed the enemy/elevator problem by adding boundaries for the Red Daria and Slimes. They cannot move under an elevator anymore. 'I was having trouble with this myself.'

HorseHead

Alright that's good to hear! Glad to know that will be kept from happening now.

Oh, Horsehead looks like they're coming along really well. I like how their position has changed slightly to match the change in armor based on the art style. Their weapon is also a lot more apparent, which is really great.

I think your Link sprites look pretty great! It feels like they match the tone and feel of the other enemies there. Hm, could we perhaps see a side by side version between the two versions of his sprites sometime? I'd like to see how they look in comparison in the environment.
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 04:03:51 am »
lol I'm glad you guys dig my mediocre spriting skills  :P For now I'm gonna stick with Gregarlink's sheet. The new NPC's I found work quite well with his style. I'm editing some the townspeople NPC's from the ds game 'Draglade' http://spritedatabase.net/file/29
I've been trying to get a hold of Gregarlink since I started coding this engine. Which has been some time! Still nothing...

I decided to use "S" for the shield. Seeing how it wasnt used for anything other than increasing your fall speed. It seems to work well so far.

to rhalifax,
I do have a short story in mind for the final product involving Ganon pretty much murdering the Oracles of Hyrule. Link must collect their remaining Life essence in crystal for in order to reach Ganon. The Last Oracle is actually in 'baby' form and has taken the place of Links fairy. Once the crystals are collected she will absorb their power and transform into a full fledged Oracle to restore balance to the land. However, in her small helpless form she in unable to complete the quest herself. Thats where Link takes action!

Thats pretty much all I got. I may not even have Ganon be the final enemy. Nothing is final since I havnt even started writing the story yet. I'm still focused on completing the 4 palaces, Ganon's Castle, and then throwing in a couple side quests. Then I will write in text events to drive the story.

Also here is a video update on all the items I have coded so far.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFdckpq-Ww" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFdckpq-Ww</a>
Re: [Items Video] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Orac...
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 11:35:10 pm »
You should really look into the original concept art for Adventure of Link(not that cartoon stuff that made it into the manual).  You could get a really good feel for the original intended theme for the game which could help you in spriting.
Most of it is pretty dark/adult themed.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 08:16:01 am »
That's not a bad idea Shadower. Ive been checking them out and your right, the first imagining for the game was much darker than the end product. I really dig it.
I went ahead and redid Horsehead. After a while he looked kinda silly to me. I made the new version from the Orcs in Kind of Dragons. http://www.spriters-resource.com/arcade/kingofdragons/sheet/53816/
I think he looks much better now.

Hes also fully coded now! I will be releasing a new demo very soon with some Major updates.

Darknuts are also fully coded with original sprites.

Darknut Sheet
Show content
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 05:53:29 am »
Just put up the new demo guys!
Added a LOT more to this one. A couple quests, 5 new enemies, redesigned map, and a full temple plus boss fight!

SCREENSHOTS

DEMO
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/legend-of-zelda-the-last-oracle/32767/

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:50:46 pm by Sirbrownie »
Re: [NEW DEMO V.2] Legend Of Zelda: The Last Ora...
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 09:30:06 pm »
Very nice! I'm used to using a gamepad so I kinda suck at this but is really fun and nice design so far! I'm a composer and would love to do music for this! It'd be really fun if you need some music (original or remix). I have some stuff on my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/punk7890 though most of that style probably won't work but I can do a lot of genres and this seems like a really fun style to do. I've composed music for some Zelda 64 mods before. You can view some Zelda 64 style music here that I've done and other remixes/arranges: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz8PWXTWctXKd2tJM1dpUjJYRUE&usp=sharing
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 58 queries.

anything