Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 386502 times)

Goomdaddy

Re: [Demo] The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer ...
« Reply #420 on: August 08, 2007, 03:17:28 am »
Oh... I forgot to say... I love the night and day system. You should add enemies that only come out in the night. Good luck.
« Reply #421 on: August 08, 2007, 08:48:00 am »
I only get lag inside the village, not on the trail. My computer specs are as follows.

512 mb RAM
1,6 gHz processor
Geforce 3 Ti graphics card

I can run most older 3D games just fine, so I have no clue why this would lag.

lol... I'm not really surprised about my slow speed...
256mb ram
500mhz processor (not even 1ghz)
no idea of the graphics card.

hopefully I'll have a new laptop by the start of next year.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #422 on: August 08, 2007, 08:52:26 am »
good mechanics.. when you enter a new map you have to retrigger movement keys
edit - oh, I remembered one other complaint I had, which applies to most Zelda fangames. When you leave a room/area and go to a new one, if you were holding down the arrow key, you still stop and have to let go and press it again. Please fix this, it gets super annoying.
You're telling me! I've tried everything I can think of to fix it but it's always been there. It doesn't always happen though, does it, so it's nothing to do with the code, which is so simple there's no scope for it to behave abnormally. Like you say, it happens in most Zelda fan games ('most' being developed in Game Maker, I would presume) so it would appear to be a quirk of GM that when you go to a different room it sometimes ignores any keys being held upon creation of the new room, prompting you to press them again. Why it doesn't always happen, I don't know. If anyone's had this problem and overcome it, I'd be grateful to know how. XD

I love the boat did you really make that custom
Thanks. Yes, it is custom. It's not quite finished, but I finally like it (been through several incarnations... :P)
I'd be interested to know what you guys think of the 3 day boat cycle concept - I don't think anyone's commented on it yet. Good idea? Bad? Sound overly complicated?

I only get lag inside the village, not on the trail.
This is the problem with GM, I find. A room that runs slow on one computer is fine on another. Like I say, I was having the reverse problem on my old computer. Running the village is actually less intensive than the trail, so there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Well, I guess I've found a threshold. I won't be making any rooms more densely populated than the village or the trail!

Oh... I forgot to say... I love the night and day system. You should add enemies that only come out in the night. Good luck.
Thanks, I'm going to. ;)
« Reply #423 on: August 08, 2007, 09:29:17 am »
  • A little Alive
I love the boat did you really make that custom
Thanks. Yes, it is custom. It's not quite finished, but I finally like it (been through several incarnations... :P)
I'd be interested to know what you guys think of the 3 day boat cycle concept - I don't think anyone's commented on it yet. Good idea? Bad? Sound overly complicated[/quote]

the baot looks awesome.
very nice done, this is an whole new kind of minish cam style.
the same style but awesome new stuff
I cant say something else then
very very awesome!
« Reply #424 on: August 09, 2007, 12:36:17 am »
  • [sic]
good mechanics.. when you enter a new map you have to retrigger movement keys
edit - oh, I remembered one other complaint I had, which applies to most Zelda fangames. When you leave a room/area and go to a new one, if you were holding down the arrow key, you still stop and have to let go and press it again. Please fix this, it gets super annoying.
You're telling me! I've tried everything I can think of to fix it but it's always been there. It doesn't always happen though, does it, so it's nothing to do with the code, which is so simple there's no scope for it to behave abnormally. Like you say, it happens in most Zelda fan games ('most' being developed in Game Maker, I would presume) so it would appear to be a quirk of GM that when you go to a different room it sometimes ignores any keys being held upon creation of the new room, prompting you to press them again. Why it doesn't always happen, I don't know. If anyone's had this problem and overcome it, I'd be grateful to know how. XD
Oh, so it's a keyboard checking error? Well, that really sucks. I figured it was simply a variable issue and that changing the variable for Link's movement to global would fix it.

edit - just thought of something. Since you said it does keep the key press sometimes, it must be an issue of either when or how it checks. possibly changing the check from/to a begin/end/standard step event would have an effect on this? I don't know, but it's worth a try, and amybe the observation itself will give you some bright ideas. The game is so brilliantly coded it'd be a shame to see it released with this very annoying bug still in it.

As for the boats idea.. I think it sounds fantastic.Great way of creating dynamic changing environments with a cyclical pattern without the irritability that Majora's Mask had. Are you planning to make separate sprites for the other boats though, eventually? Becaus eI think they'd look better that way. Nothing major, just change figurehead maybe.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:01:49 pm by Kame »
« Reply #425 on: August 09, 2007, 09:14:26 am »
edit - just thought of something. Sicne you said it does keep the key press sometimes, it must be an issue of either when or how it checks. possibly changing the check from/to a begin/end/standard step event would have an effect on this? I don't know, but it's worth a try, and amybe the observation itself will give you some bright ideas. The game is so brilliantly coded it'd be a shame to see it released with this very annoying bug still in it.
Yeah, I've tried shifting the keyboard checks around the Step events, even putting additional ones in the Create event and destroying Link and creating a new one when he's 'arrived' in the new room. The checks are always the same too. It just seems it sometimes forgets about any keys that were being pressed upon exiting the previous room!

As for the boats idea.. I think it sounds fantastic.Great way of creating dynamic changing environments with a cyclical pattern without the irritability that Majora's Mask had. Are you planning to make separate sprites for the other boats though, eventually? Becaus eI think they'd look better that way. Nothing major, just change figurehead maybe.
I do intend them to have different figureheads, yes. Plus the sails, when unfurled, would have different emblems on them. Just not designed them yet. Din's Fire would retain the dragon/serpent figurehead they all currently have, but my ideas for the other two are either a hawk or owl, and a most likely a wolf - so, familiar Zelda motifs. I'm going to try and stylise them quite heavily. I'm looking at the carvings on Native American totem poles and Viking longships, but it's not quite coming together at the moment...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:21:30 am by King Mob »
« Reply #426 on: August 09, 2007, 03:28:33 pm »
I'd suggest trying to make sure it's alwyas fast on all areas on all computers. Maybe you could give options of disabling certain effects, or using OGG sounds and loading them externally. Or, try delta timing - which is generally an awesome way to keep speed up.

As for the key problem, I haven't tried this (since I haven't made a multiple room engine yet), but you could call Link's step event from the room creation event (in the room editor), or you could check for keyboard presses (direct).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:07:40 pm by Scooternew »
« Reply #427 on: August 09, 2007, 05:08:53 pm »
  • =/
edit - just thought of something. Sicne you said it does keep the key press sometimes, it must be an issue of either when or how it checks. possibly changing the check from/to a begin/end/standard step event would have an effect on this? I don't know, but it's worth a try, and amybe the observation itself will give you some bright ideas. The game is so brilliantly coded it'd be a shame to see it released with this very annoying bug still in it.
Yeah, I've tried shifting the keyboard checks around the Step events, even putting additional ones in the Create event and destroying Link and creating a new one when he's 'arrived' in the new room. The checks are always the same too. It just seems it sometimes forgets about any keys that were being pressed upon exiting the previous room!
Well this way is pretty bad from a programming standpoint but you could always save in an ini file whether the player is pressing the key before they go into the next room. That way, when entering the next room you check the ini file and just continue Link's movement until the key is released.

So:

Player is pressing up when going into next room.
 Ini file is written, saying the player is pressing up.
 Ini file is read.
 The game continues moving Link up until the key is released.

Problems I can see is if the player stops pressing up inbetween room switches, which would make Link move up even though the button has not been pressed.
« Reply #428 on: August 09, 2007, 05:28:23 pm »
  • [sic]
Well this way is pretty bad from a programming standpoint but you could always save in an ini file whether the player is pressing the key before they go into the next room. That way, when entering the next room you check the ini file and just continue Link's movement until the key is released.

So:

Player is pressing up when going into next room.
 Ini file is written, saying the player is pressing up.
 Ini file is read.
 The game continues moving Link up until the key is released.

Problems I can see is if the player stops pressing up inbetween room switches, which would make Link move up even though the button has not been pressed.
Well this way is pretty bad from a programming standpoint. Why couldn't you just use a global variable?
« Reply #429 on: August 09, 2007, 05:49:07 pm »
Are the puddles in Hyrule Castle Town your own sprites? They add really nice atmosphere to the place. And the birds?
« Reply #430 on: August 09, 2007, 06:15:12 pm »
I believe those puddles are from one of those areas where you go minish, i could be wrong though
« Reply #431 on: August 09, 2007, 06:41:25 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Regarding the problem with key detection when switching rooms.

keyboard_check_direct works even after room switches.  It doesn't have a pressed or released variant and still detects key presses when the game window isn't in focus (Which reminds me of another GM quirk, hold down a direction switch to a different window, release it, then switch back to the game)
It's your best bet for a sure solution though ;)

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #432 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:11 am »
It's frustrating, because many of the things I'm implementing in my engine (but will be a while before I turn into an actual game) you've already done here - such as doors that you press a key to open (rather than just run inside), a textbox system that works like yours, the room transition (just the room getting bright and then dark again), music getting quiet when you get items or talk to people...I guess that shows the ingenuity on your part (and I'll be viewed as a thief of your ideas when/if I release my work :( ).

But it's already been established that your engine runs way too slow in parts on worse computers, so just work on that now. A few other inconsistencies are picking up rocks (the rocks don't really follow Link's movement, picking them up or just running around), and aiming rocks is much too hard. Your rock has a huge arc and it has to land exactly on the enemy - which I guess is all right, but in the original MC, it was a really quick, linear type throw, which would hit anything in its path. Also, I'd suggest sacking your filetype of music and using high quality OGG's, loading externally. I mentioned that before, but this is more of a review post. And the continuing running after you start a new room,  as mentioned before, can be slightly annoying. There really aren't other bugs, though - this is rock solid.

Just a few suggestions though. Make Link able to push rocks and pick up bushes. Also, when you hit enemies with your shield, you should bounce backward, not get hit. I'm sure these are all things you know though, so I'll leave the work to what I'm sure will be a beautiful next demo up to you.

Koh

« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2007, 05:22:32 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Screenies look nice, but what in the world is making this file size so huge O.o.  Are you using MP3's?  Anyway, to slightly fix the room-to room vs key bugs, simply put the movement code in the Room start event of Link.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2007, 09:36:18 am »
Are the puddles in Hyrule Castle Town your own sprites? They add really nice atmosphere to the place. And the birds?
The puddles are from the swamp area in The Minish Cap, but the gulls are mine.

Screenies look nice, but what in the world is making this file size so huge O.o.  Are you using MP3's?
The music is MIDI actually, but the sound effects are WAVs and, as I've explained, bump up the filesize considerably. This is a hangover from the project's very beginnings and I do intend to work on a solution to this.

Anyway, to slightly fix the room-to room vs key bugs, simply put the movement code in the Room start event of Link.
Pretty sure I've tried that already. Was a while back...

Regarding the problem with key detection when switching rooms.

keyboard_check_direct works even after room switches.  It doesn't have a pressed or released variant and still detects key presses when the game window isn't in focus (Which reminds me of another GM quirk, hold down a direction switch to a different window, release it, then switch back to the game)
It's your best bet for a sure solution though ;)
Thanks, Atrius, I've not used that before. I will give it a go!

Your rock has a huge arc and it has to land exactly on the enemy - which I guess is all right, but in the original MC, it was a really quick, linear type throw, which would hit anything in its path.
Yes, but the way I've done it makes the thrown object travel in a more realistic arc, with proper gravity, not just in a straight line diagonally down - something I've never liked, visually speaking. Neither do I like the idea of rocks or pots smashing against something it would realistically sail right over, like the octos. I prefer mine. :P

Just a few suggestions though. Make Link able to push rocks and pick up bushes.
I'm not going to make it so you can lift bushes - you'll need to cut them. I've got quite a bit of backstory to get through before the quest begins and I don't want players wandering all over the map from the outset, so I'm blocking a couple of paths with bushes. I could just get all the storytelling out of the way at the very beginning, but it would be overly long and I'm trying to break it up with gameplay and tutorial-like areas (hence the octos for practicing shield deflections on.) Once you've got your sword, which you'll get shortly after talking to Zelda, the map would be opened up slightly, with areas blocked off by bushes now accessible. Besides, once you can cut bushes, when would you ever go through the hassle of lifting and throwing them? :P You can't lift bushes in every Zelda, and this is one in which you can't. As for rocks - my pushable rocks/blocks are different to the ones you can lift and throw. Just my personal preferences, I guess.
« Reply #435 on: August 10, 2007, 09:45:44 am »
link doesn't have any way to chop the bush stalk off anyway to lift it, so what's the point? you couldn't pick up bushes in wind waker. that didn't matter. and the story is much more important than lifting bushes :p .
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

ursername180

« Reply #436 on: August 10, 2007, 12:16:02 pm »
Nice. Loved the demo.

Just a quick question... Do you have any intentions of porting this over to NDS or GBA? I assume you would need to change the resolution of the screen in order to.
« Reply #437 on: August 10, 2007, 01:37:29 pm »
  • Captain Banana
Amazing! You have put a lot of work in this! I can't wait to see more.
« Reply #438 on: August 10, 2007, 03:10:17 pm »
I had a problem with the resolution when making the game fullscreen - so just a suggestion for the final product, give options on aspect ratios and screen sizes and all that, because I really want to play in full screen. And I really love the attention to detail you've put into the music volume - such as it getting quiet when you get an item, the music fading out at night. It's really great.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2007, 05:32:58 pm »
HOORAY! I will play this now and enjoy it! I will also reply telling you of any bugs!
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 75 queries.

anything