Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 386553 times)

Re: [Demo] The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer ...
« Reply #440 on: August 10, 2007, 06:37:54 pm »
  • Monkey Studios
Very impressive demo. There wasn't a lot of gameplay but I can tell you put a lot of work into it. You pay very good attention to fine detail.
-Gavin
Land of Shadows
View the Topic Here!
« Reply #441 on: August 10, 2007, 10:27:46 pm »
  • MetalRidley was here
It's frustrating, because many of the things I'm implementing in my engine (but will be a while before I turn into an actual game) you've already done here - such as doors that you press a key to open (rather than just run inside), a textbox system that works like yours, the room transition (just the room getting bright and then dark again), music getting quiet when you get items or talk to people...I guess that shows the ingenuity on your part (and I'll be viewed as a thief of your ideas when/if I release my work :( ).
Haha I was thinking the same thing, I had a lot of the same ideas too. I thought I was the first one to do 'sliding' when you run into an edge a little offset (at least in a fan game) a while back, but it seems to have caught on now. Actually, I have suspicions that Nintendo stole some of my ideas to use in Phantom Hourglass (at least writing on the map and using the grappling hook as a tightrope) :P
Oh well, I'm just going to come up with more then.

THE MUSIC IS REVERSIBLE, BUT TIME IS NOT. TURN BACK... turn back... turn back...
« Reply #442 on: August 11, 2007, 01:42:59 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
This. Game. Is. Freaking. AWESOME!
When do you expect we'll see the fire temple?
,;Sk;,

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #443 on: August 11, 2007, 11:22:03 am »
There was nothing wrong with the demo in fact, it was the best!
  • Phoenix Heart

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #444 on: August 11, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »
  • Silly cat!
The demo was wonderful. You've conveyed an amazing sense of culture into the game, and I most definitely look forward to seeing this game completed. Don't ever, ever give up! It almost makes me want to start my own game... but that's a little hard without talent.

Err, the only issues I had was with Link's walking speed... but I'm pretty sure that's more my fault than yours, because the demo did run a little bit slow on my PC. And the screen resolution... is it equal to TMC's?

Excellent demo all around. Loved it. Keep going.

Hoffy.
« Reply #445 on: August 12, 2007, 09:12:45 am »
  • Captain Banana
And the screen resolution... is it equal to TMC's?
Nope, it's far bigger.

I forgot to say that the only thing I disliked is the resolution. I guess it's needed for the horseback battles, but if it's possible for it to be changed, please change it to the GBA resolution.
« Reply #446 on: August 12, 2007, 05:07:21 pm »
  • Evil's origin begins in TLOZ AO...
I liked the demo but it seemed really fast. You get the Shadowgazer too suddenly and then your kind of like "ok I have it, now what?" You did a good job with the rocks and such (could you PM me as to how you were able to arch the rocks, I wanted to do the same thing in my game but with a special type of arrow). As far as play, it didn't seem (so far) that there was much purpose to the night/day system except that people were in different places. Of course this will be useful later on right. In your demo the day faded nicely to night but your demo had "The ship Din's Fire has left for Calatia..." so I'm wondering if we'll ever see the nice fade?
« Reply #447 on: August 12, 2007, 09:58:20 pm »
Just a quick question... Do you have any intentions of porting this over to NDS or GBA? I assume you would need to change the resolution of the screen in order to.
Not gonna happen. It's not a case of "porting" it over so much as starting it again from scratch in another (proper) language. Besides...
And the screen resolution... is it equal to TMC's?
Nope, it's far bigger.

I forgot to say that the only thing I disliked is the resolution. I guess it's needed for the horseback battles, but if it's possible for it to be changed, please change it to the GBA resolution.
The GBA's screen resolution is too small for either the horseback battles to be at all playable, or for some of the boss battles I have planned. Since it's never going to be played on a handheld, I'd prefer to use a ratio closer to that of the SNES, and one that you could play fullscreen without distortion. So 320 x 240 seemed about right. It was literally that arbitrary, but I don't really see any reason to change it now, especially since I've tiled so many rooms to fit that resolution.

This. Game. Is. Freaking. AWESOME!
When do you expect we'll see the fire temple?
,;Sk;,
Wouldn't like to say. It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get this far and I don't want to over-promise and under-deliver. I want to revert to my original plan for the next playable release, which is everything up to and including the first dungeon - and that's still quite a bit of work, even having finished the dungeon itself some time ago. I don't plan on releasing the dungeon as a stand-alone demo, I want it experienced in context.

I had a problem with the resolution when making the game fullscreen - so just a suggestion for the final product, give options on aspect ratios and screen sizes and all that, because I really want to play in full screen.
I'll make more options available from the title screen.

I liked the demo but it seemed really fast. You get the Shadowgazer too suddenly and then your kind of like "ok I have it, now what?"
Aha, but you only know what the Shadowgazer is because you've been reading this topic! It's introduced as an innocuous, superstitious trinket that Zelda can use to watch over Link. That's why the game refers to it as "Zelda's dreamcatcher" - she knows it's magical but has no idea of its significance, and Link certainly doesn't, she just gave it to him as a token of their friendship. There's only one person alive who knows what its true purpose is, and they will be mightily pissed when they learn Zelda's just given it away... ;)

You did a good job with the rocks and such (could you PM me as to how you were able to arch the rocks, I wanted to do the same thing in my game but with a special type of arrow).
Will do.

As far as play, it didn't seem (so far) that there was much purpose to the night/day system except that people were in different places. Of course this will be useful later on right. In your demo the day faded nicely to night but your demo had "The ship Din's Fire has left for Calatia..." so I'm wondering if we'll ever see the nice fade?
The passing of day and night is absolutely central as it will dictate when the NPCs sleep i.e. when you can save them from their nightmare. I don't want to give too much about how that translates into gameplay just yet, but yeah, there is a point to it. :P And the fade at the beginning? Call it a camera trick. It's an illusion, used just for carefully orchestrated cinematics. Trying to get the tilesets to fade between eachother during play is unfeasibly demanding (both on the system and on me!) An instantaneous switch is easy. Think about it: if it faded in real time, I'd need to show the boat pulling out of the harbour, for example - things like that, that are just too impractical; and it would be a ridiculous amount of work to have NPCs adhere to timelines where they stop what they're doing, walk inside their house and go upstairs and get into bed, all following the clock. Having that nice cut-off point where they're either awake or asleep is just cleaner and infinitely easier to work on. The idea of using the Port Authority announcer to cover the switch just fortuitously fell into my lap. The day and night stuff is all about the gameplay not graphical niceties...  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:03:55 pm by King Mob »
« Reply #448 on: August 13, 2007, 12:29:11 am »
i agree, it's fine how it is.
fading day and night and making everything work to schedule would be hell to code...
keep it as it is.
although I'm sure you weren't going to change it anyway ;) .
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #449 on: August 13, 2007, 05:52:38 am »
  • .越//
hey mob i just played your demo and great work with your custom sprite but two little things that would make is look nicer in that haven ( hyrule castle town? )... the sitting seagulls could make sometimes a move like streching their wings or something like that and the flags on the custom houses could wave in the wind.

another thing is that in small areas like the haven and inner rooms the movment of link seems fine, but in the big areas he is slow

but great work man ^^

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2007, 08:31:38 am »
Regarding the problem with key detection when switching rooms.

keyboard_check_direct works even after room switches.  It doesn't have a pressed or released variant and still detects key presses when the game window isn't in focus (Which reminds me of another GM quirk, hold down a direction switch to a different window, release it, then switch back to the game)
It's your best bet for a sure solution though ;)
Thanks, Atrius, I've not used that before. I will give it a go!
Just tried this and it worked like a charm. Thanks, Atrius! So simple... It does beg the question why does Game Maker decide to cancel the key press only sometimes, since there's clearly nothing wrong with the code?! :P

hey mob i just played your demo and great work with your custom sprite but two little things that would make is look nicer in that haven ( hyrule castle town? )... the sitting seagulls could make sometimes a move like streching their wings or something like that and the flags on the custom houses could wave in the wind.
The flags are definitely on the list of things to do, and I do want the seagulls to be more interactive. Like maybe they fly off when you roll into their perches or something. And I might have them snatch fish out of the water - when I put fish in there! Thanks for the suggestion.
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2007, 04:41:04 pm »
*downloading*

The screens look awesome KM.

EDIT: This is the most impressive demo I've ever played. Man KM, you put a lot of detail into it. Those are some gorgeous graphics. This definately equals a Nintendo game from what I can tell so far.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 05:35:25 pm by Bboy »
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2007, 10:08:46 pm »
  • [sic]
Regarding the problem with key detection when switching rooms.

keyboard_check_direct works even after room switches.  It doesn't have a pressed or released variant and still detects key presses when the game window isn't in focus (Which reminds me of another GM quirk, hold down a direction switch to a different window, release it, then switch back to the game)
It's your best bet for a sure solution though ;)
Thanks, Atrius, I've not used that before. I will give it a go!
Just tried this and it worked like a charm. Thanks, Atrius! So simple... It does beg the question why does Game Maker decide to cancel the key press only sometimes, since there's clearly nothing wrong with the code?! :P
*Kame dances around*

Devy

« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2007, 11:07:20 pm »
:drool: st the screens very nice omg!

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #454 on: August 16, 2007, 02:06:03 am »
  • The Mike
I loved the demo! I want more! :D

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #455 on: August 16, 2007, 03:19:16 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
WOW!!!  I tried it and, like everybody else said, it is truly amassing.  It is the best fan game I have ever seen.  I do have some critiques though not very big ones., if you don't mind.

1 -Every time you enter a new room, you have to let go of your directional key and push it again to continue moving.  (It is not a big deal, but it would be nice if you didn't have to.  In the original Nintendo titles you just kept moving from screen to screen.)
    EDIT:Sorry, I just realizes this was in another post. glad it was fixed!

2 -Of course there should be a sword charge spin attack.  (I don't know if you have already fixed this but in the tech. demo there wasn't a sword charge that I knew of.  Maybe you have other plans for it.  I'll leave it up to you.)

3 -*SPOILER... kind of*  -Some of the dialog in the game didn't quite seem to fit in with normal legend of Zelda dialog.  For example, in the town after you get your shield, one of the kids in the town say something close to "We could be like, I'll cover your back.".  To me at least it doesn't seem to fit.  Talking like that (in real life) is more of a recent development , and the Zelda series is staged in kind of a "old world" setting, so that kind of dialog seems a little out of place.

Like I said none of the things I noticed were really a big deal.  Since you seem to have all of the big things under control, I thought that I would comment on the smaller things that I noticed.  It really is excellent though.  I really hope that this game doesn't get dropped like most other ZFG's do.  It is a big project, but it is really awesome. 
     Um...  If you don't mind my asking. when could we expect  to be able to try a little more of the game.  Are you still working on it gung ho, or is it just kind of now and then?  I can't say it enough.  I REALLY LIKE THIS PROJECT!!! :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:24:44 am by Aero88 »
« Reply #456 on: August 16, 2007, 03:25:01 am »
  • [sic]
   1 -Every time you enter a new room, you have to let go of your directional key and push it again to continue moving.  (It is not a big deal, but it would be nice if you didn't have to.  In the original Nintendo titles you just kept moving from screen to screen.)
He fixed this. ^^
« Reply #457 on: August 16, 2007, 03:58:05 am »
In Link's house, I stood to the right of the table, facing it, and accidentily tried to roll into the table. The whole game froze and I had to close it. Wierd glitch. But so random you probably don't need to worry about it too much.
« Reply #458 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:09 am »
In Link's house, I stood to the right of the table, facing it, and accidentily tried to roll into the table. The whole game froze and I had to close it. Wierd glitch. But so random you probably don't need to worry about it too much.
Hm... Was that a one-off? I can't reproduce the error, I'm afraid.

3 -*SPOILER... kind of*  -Some of the dialog in the game didn't quite seem to fit in with normal legend of Zelda dialog.  For example, in the town after you get your shield, one of the kids in the town say something close to "We could be like, I'll cover your back.".  To me at least it doesn't seem to fit.  Talking like that (in real life) is more of a recent development , and the Zelda series is staged in kind of a "old world" setting, so that kind of dialog seems a little out of place.
Not really. There's a precedent for this kind of anachronistic use of language. Some characters talk in an olde worlde kind of English, but some - especially children - seem to talk in a much more modern fashion, particularly in the games made since the shift to 3D.

Some examples:
  • The lantern guy in Faron Woods says "I mean, gimme a break"
  • Talo uses phrases like "Way to spoil everything by telling your dad."
  • Tetra tells her pirates to "Quit goofing off"
  • The Indigo-Gos say things like "I'm all, like, "Hey, where's Mikau?"", "That melody's bogus, man!"
  • The scarecrow in OOT refers to Link as "dude" and says "You rock!! I'm blown away!"
See what I mean?

And while we're at it, Ooccoo says "Now, bon voyage, you two!"

I'm not even gonna point out what's up with that... :P

And I'm working on this regularly, yes. I took a break of about a month during June/July but I'm back into it now, fleshing out the harbour area. Which I'm really enjoying, since it's really pushing my imagination. XD
« Reply #459 on: August 16, 2007, 10:14:26 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Yes.
Progress.
Can you tell us what is going to be in the next demo...
,;Sk;,
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.841 seconds with 78 queries.