Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good indie music?  (Read 1767 times)

Good indie music?
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »
Well, I have been into indie music for a while, I enjoy it alot the main problem I have is that I don't know many bands or songs soo.. can anyone recommend me some bands or songs or both :P? I have some of Franz Ferdinand, Artic Monkeys, the Fratellis, Stereophonics, The Black Keys, Block Party, MGMT, The Subways, etc..

The main problem is that I have like one song from each band >_> (I would buy the cd but it is really hard to find good indie cds around here.)
Re: Good indie music?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:24:06 pm »
  • :D
Well, I have been into indie music for a while, I enjoy it alot the main problem I have is that I don't know many bands or songs soo.. can anyone recommend me some bands or songs or both :P? I have some of Franz Ferdinand, Artic Monkeys, the Fratellis, Stereophonics, The Black Keys, Block Party, MGMT, The Subways, etc..

The main problem is that I have like one song from each band >_> (I would buy the cd but it is really hard to find good indie cds around here.)
TORRENTS. 

If you're looking for similar music, I might recommend using Pandora-- just put in a band you like, and listen for a while, you might find some new artists that you really love.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18:43 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
The only indie band I can recommend is Deerhunter, seriously they're amazing.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »
  • *whistle*

None of those bands are indie. With maybe two (or three) exceptions, they're all signed to major labels, and don't play "indie" music.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »

None of those bands are indie. With maybe two (or three) exceptions, they're all signed to major labels, and don't play "indie" music.
D:!??! really wikipedia and last.fm is lying to me then. Can you mention some indie bands then?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:42:46 pm by Kren »
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:41:46 pm »
Arctic Monkeys are good, whatever they are.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:10:07 am »
  • *whistle*

D:!??! really wikipedia and last.fm is lying to me then. Can you mention some indie bands then?

Yep, pretty much. Too many acts are being put under the umbrella of "indie" these days when they shouldn't. Apart from the Artic Monkeys and the Black Keys, all those bands are signed to major labels, and shouldn't be considered indie.

Even then, in terms of the genre, they fall under all different kinds of genres and calling them all indie is misleading. However, "indie" doesn't really exist as a pure genre. Still, check out stuff like Los Campesinos!, Bright Eyes, Maria Taylor, Matt Barber, Arcade Fire, Interpol, Belle and Sebastian, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, all those kinds of guys. (I probably over-represented the folk-indie scene in that list, and under-represented all the other scenes, paying mild lip service to post-punk revival, baroque pop and twee ((and, of course, tweexcore)) - still, take the time to look up other bands. What's sometimes helpful is to look up an indie record label, and check out who's signed to them - my favourite labels at the moment have been Matador, Saddle Creek and Jagjaguwar.)

So, uh, yeah. =D

Weapon Master

りしゅ にっぽん わたし です。
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:47:12 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo</a>

^Is this indie? ^^
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:42:38 am »
  • Wu tang Forever

Yep, pretty much. Too many acts are being put under the umbrella of "indie" these days when they shouldn't. Apart from the Artic Monkeys and the Black Keys, all those bands are signed to major labels, and shouldn't be considered indie.

Even then, in terms of the genre, they fall under all different kinds of genres and calling them all indie is misleading. However, "indie" doesn't really exist as a pure genre. Still, check out stuff like Los Campesinos!, Bright Eyes, Maria Taylor, Matt Barber, Arcade Fire, Interpol, Belle and Sebastian, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, all those kinds of guys. (I probably over-represented the folk-indie scene in that list, and under-represented all the other scenes, paying mild lip service to post-punk revival, baroque pop and twee ((and, of course, tweexcore)) - still, take the time to look up other bands. What's sometimes helpful is to look up an indie record label, and check out who's signed to them - my favourite labels at the moment have been Matador, Saddle Creek and Jagjaguwar.)

So, uh, yeah. =D
<3 Bon Iver so much. Got For Emma a few weeks ago and have been listening to it religiously since. Definitely recommend to everyone.
Pyru, what other bands do you recommend from Jagjaguwar?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 01:34:30 am »
I'm gonna go ahead and throw in Parts and Labor. Good band.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 58 queries.