Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo ID Claims Youtube LPs  (Read 1552 times)

Koh

Nintendo ID Claims Youtube LPs
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:13 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
http://www.gamefront.com/nintendo-flexing-copyright-clout-on-youtube-lets-play-channels/
TL;DR:

Update: Nintendo issued Game Front the following statement:
As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property.

For more information please visit http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/faq.html

I don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape about this.  It makes sense; LPers really shouldn't be making money off of playing through a game they didn't make, or at least get permission to make money off of.  If they really just wanted to show the game off, they can do it without monetizing their video.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:15:44 pm by dlbrooks33 »
  • Megaclipse Games
Re: Nintendo ID Claims Youtube LPs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:29 am »
Who in their right minds put ads on LPs?  I have several LPs and streamed quite a few Nintendo games from start to finish.  I never have had ads on youtube for LPs nor have I ran commercial during streams.

If people wanted to donate money to me for LPs, I wouldn't turn it down.  I don't ask for them either - ever.  I don't disagree with Nintendo, however, I think they need to loosen up a bit.  If the LPs have monetization turned on from the fan/youtuber account, flag it for copyright and take over the ad revenue as most companies do.  If no monetization is turned on and no ads placed into the video(such as a 30 second ad added to the LP before it is uploaded, then let it stay as it is.  No need to "punish" those who seek to do LP for pure entertainment purposes.

Nintendo gains nothing(or very little else) except hatred/animosity towards itself as an IP hoarder.  Regardless if you agree with it or not, much of the younger generation seems to be following suite to freely exchange entertainment and information...Facebook is one proof of that.

Anyway, to keep a rant out of it, eventually, either the companies or the people will win some day.  If companies do, the entire entertainment industry is going to change...and not necessarily in a good way at all.

But, still, Nintendo isnt necessarily wrong, just taking it a bit too far. :)
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Koh

Re: Nintendo ID Claims Youtube LPs
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:12:33 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Who in their right minds put ads on LPs?  I have several LPs and streamed quite a few Nintendo games from start to finish.  I never have had ads on youtube for LPs nor have I ran commercial during streams.

If people wanted to donate money to me for LPs, I wouldn't turn it down.  I don't ask for them either - ever.  I don't disagree with Nintendo, however, I think they need to loosen up a bit.  If the LPs have monetization turned on from the fan/youtuber account, flag it for copyright and take over the ad revenue as most companies do.  If no monetization is turned on and no ads placed into the video(such as a 30 second ad added to the LP before it is uploaded, then let it stay as it is.  No need to "punish" those who seek to do LP for pure entertainment purposes.

Nintendo gains nothing(or very little else) except hatred/animosity towards itself as an IP hoarder.  Regardless if you agree with it or not, much of the younger generation seems to be following suite to freely exchange entertainment and information...Facebook is one proof of that.

Anyway, to keep a rant out of it, eventually, either the companies or the people will win some day.  If companies do, the entire entertainment industry is going to change...and not necessarily in a good way at all.

But, still, Nintendo isnt necessarily wrong, just taking it a bit too far. :)
But Nintendo isn't punishing them...it's doing exactly what you said, and getting the revenue from the ads =O.
  • Megaclipse Games
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 44 queries.

anything