Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Historical Fiction?  (Read 1338 times)

Historical Fiction?
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:52:37 pm »
  • Tyrant Rave!
I have to read a historical fiction book for my term paper but I don't really know of any that would keep my interest. My problem is that I want something exciting based around true events (Take Metal Gear Solid 3's story line for example, it captured all the fears of nuclear war from the 60's yet had an extremely awesome sci-fi twist with giant robots and crap!). Basically, I'm open to all suggestions, but a few points in history are my favorites, like the time of samurai, ancient greece (Be careful not to submit mythology though... >_>), and actually, that's about it...

Any suggestions on what to read?

GUILTY GEAR RULES!!! I AM AWESOME!!! WHY ARE YOU READING MY SIG?
Re: Historical Fiction?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:55:15 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
find the book version of the last samurai.  historically correct and it has people's heads being cut off.  i'm pretty sure it's fiction.  no one really knows exactly what that guy did, so some of the things he does may be fiction.  and some mythology could be considered historical fiction because it's based largely on events happening at the time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:57:20 pm by Mitsuu »
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:35 pm »
  • Tyrant Rave!
The problem with the last samurai was that I watched it and I wouldn't be able to get Tom Cruise's face out of my mind. So when my teacher asks me what the book was about I'd be severely tempted to go on a rant about Tom Cruise jumping on Opra's couch and (*SPOILERZ?*) fighting ninjas while making out with a Japanese woman whose husband he killed!!! (*/SPOILERZ?*) YARRRRR! I did think about that though... maybe that will be my last resort...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 02:33:55 pm by SilverShadowX »

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:04:59 pm »
  • Elbows deep within the borderline.
hmm...tough one. Try Books-a-Million, they got tons of Historical fiction books. sorry, I have no suggestions.
And the world rolls on...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:16:34 pm »
The problem with the last samurai was that I watched it and I wouldn't be able to get Tom Cruise's face out of my mind. So when my teacher asks me what the book was about I'd be severely tempted to go on a rant about Tom Cruise jumping on Opra's couch and (*SPOILERZ?*) fighting ninjas while making out with a Japanese woman whose wife he killed!!! (*/SPOILERZ?*) YARRRRR! I did think about that though... maybe that will be my last resort...

he killed that lady's wife!?!? and he still falls in love with her?  he is a creepy creepy guy.  and she is a creepy creepy woman.  *end of sarcasm*

try journey to the west.  its a japanese/chinese story about a bhuddist who goes on a journey, to the west.  it has a bunch of magical creatures and the like, but the whole story is based off of a real bhuddist preast who took a journey, to the west.  the story has inspired several manga, including dragon ball and saiyuki.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:33:19 pm »
  • Tyrant Rave!
boredom!
The problem with the last samurai was that I watched it and I wouldn't be able to get Tom Cruise's face out of my mind. So when my teacher asks me what the book was about I'd be severely tempted to go on a rant about Tom Cruise jumping on Opra's couch and (*SPOILERZ?*) fighting ninjas while making out with a Japanese woman whose wife he killed!!! (*/SPOILERZ?*) YARRRRR! I did think about that though... maybe that will be my last resort...

he killed that lady's wife!?!? and he still falls in love with her?  he is a creepy creepy guy.  and she is a creepy creepy woman.  *end of sarcasm*

try journey to the west.  its a japanese/chinese story about a bhuddist who goes on a journey, to the west.  it has a bunch of magical creatures and the like, but the whole story is based off of a real bhuddist preast who took a journey, to the west.  the story has inspired several manga, including dragon ball and saiyuki.

OOo, that sounds cool! Thank you! You probably just saved me from several months of insane boredom.

*Edit: Oh, and I didn't mean wife when I said wife, lol. I meant her husband... >_>

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 02:38:58 pm »
just hope you can actually find a copy. it has four volumes making it even harder to get it all. i've only seen it in a bookstore once, and it was volume 3.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:21:06 pm »
  • Tyrant Rave!
just hope you can actually find a copy. it has four volumes making it even harder to get it all. i've only seen it in a bookstore once, and it was volume 3.

Yes, that is starting to pose as a problem for me. Isn't there anyone else out there with a suggestion?

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 11:57:22 pm »
  • =/
 The Splinter Cell books have references to history and stuff. The first one is about the nuclear weapons in Iraq and Sam has to stop it and crap. Not sure if it is what you are looking for.

(Note: The Splinter Cell novels contain... suggestive themes I would say. Not exactly Sex but.... close to it.)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 03:45:56 pm »
well, you could find an autobiography of Faulkner(the famous author). he made up enough stuff about his life for it to be fiction.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 04:28:43 pm »
the bible?
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 04:43:36 pm »
the bible?

it doesn't have fiction.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 06:00:15 pm »
Look no further:

One of the best books I have ever read, and certainly the best series I've read.
It's the story of a Victorian scoundrel, rogue and womaniser named Harry Flashman who is drunkenly expelled from his school and enlists in Her Majesty's military. He's a coward and a villain at heart - brilliantly and hilariously so - and his adventures weave in and out of true historical events which are apparently wholly accurate - though his exploits are not. :P

Your teacher will love it because it's meticulously researched and based on true events: the disastrous British retreat from Kabul, Afghanistan, but you'll love it because of Flashman himself. A great character. Ever wondered why the hero doesn't just shoot the enemy in the back and do a runner saving his own skin? Flashman does stuff like that.  ;D Yet you like him because of his honesty in reporting what war in the crumbling British Empire was really like.
Only problem I see is it's quite un-PC (it is set in the 1800s) fairly bloodthirsty and there's a quite a lot of bedroom action, if you know what I mean.  ;)

But I would recommend any of you reading this actually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 64 queries.

anything