Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

How would you rate this entry overall?

- 10 (40%)
- 6 (24%)
- 3 (12%)
- 2 (8%)
- 1 (4%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 08, 2008, 02:15:29 am

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: CONTEST #6 Submission : The Lost Vikings ~ Infini (Oldschool)  (Read 9692 times)

CONTEST #6 Submission : The Lost Vikings ~ Infi...
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:29 am »
THE LOST VIKINGS  ~  Infini

Preamble
=========================================================

This game is a remake of the classic SNES game The Lost
Vikings. It was written as an entry to a development
competition at ZFGC.com.

It is freely available to modify, change or generally play
around as the end user sees fit. The only condition is
that Binary Phoenix or its staff are not held responsible
for any issues caused by it.

The controls are the same as if you played
on a snes emulator.

Select = Enter (Inventory)
Start = Space (Restart)
Arrow Keys = Movement
A = L (Cycle players)
S = R (Cycle players)
D = X (Use item)
X = Y (Action 1; Headbutt, Bow, Shield)
C = B (Action 2; Jump, Sword, Shield)
V = A (Action 3; General Use)

There are also a number of debugging commands
available to use;

F1 = Open Console
F2 = Take Screenshot And Save As 1.png
F3 = Show Execution Statistics
Page Up = Scroll Console Up
Page Down = Scroll Console Down

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshots provided with the package:

Downloadlink:  http://metalgearvapor.coders-tavern.com/The_Lost_Vikings_(2008)_RC1.zip

Made with I believe C/C++ and Blitzmax?

• Super Fan Gamers!
Re: CONTEST #6 Submission : The Lost Vikings ~ ...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:34:05 am »
  • Minalien
I never played Lost Vikings, but this is a solid game, as would be expected from Tim. It could have included a feature to disable full-screen, however, and could have implemented a more modernized options menu to at least allow you to modify the controls in-game. Good work.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:42:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
As said on MSN, very solid to the original, this is my favorite entry :p

ALTHOUGH MSTR DOESNT WORK.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 02:45:43 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
He didn't make that stage. He only did the first world.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:46:29 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
He didn't make that stage. He only did the first world.

<_< I know this; lol It's an inside thing between Infinitus and I :P (I suggested adding an easter egg :P)... Also he did levels 1 and 2 (maybe another past 2, not sure)

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:46:49 am »
Oh. D'oh!

I'm on level 3 right now, and this just in. THE CONTROLS ARE CUSTOMIZABLE! You have to go into the ini file, though. But still, you can do it. I changed them into what I use on Snes9x. More detailed after I beat world 1, get the ending, and 100,000 rupees from Infini.

There is a typo in the TLPT stage, when talking to the alien after the first teleporter, it says ALIENTS, not ALIENS.

All in all, a faithful recreation of the awesome original! And here's the CENSORED final screen of your ending, Infini!

I like your ending, it's funny and shatters the belief that they think they are game characters. Great job! (Now where's my 100,000 rupees?)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:51:39 am by MetaKirby »

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:58:30 am »
  • Minalien
...and this just in. THE CONTROLS ARE CUSTOMIZABLE! You have to go into the ini file, though. But still, you can do it. I changed them into what I use on Snes9x.
No !@#$% !@#$%, right? Because I totally wasn't referring to changing the controls IN GAME.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:09:46 am »
Who gave this a zero?  Seriously, what makes you this this deserves a zero?
Just cus you don't like Infini?  Grow up, please.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:17:14 am »

"Zero?"

It wasn't me who gave the game a zero, in fact, I think the game looks good.  It deserves high marks.  I never played the original, but it kind of reminds me of Joe & Mac though in a way, so I might consider it.  Nice job.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:40:34 am »
Anyone that gave this game under an 8 really should die though.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:45:23 am »
It could have included a feature to disable full-screen, however, and could have implemented a more modernized options menu to at least allow you to modify the controls in-game. Good work.
It was meant to be an old school remake, I felt guilty enough adding the exit menu item in. You can change to windowed in the ini file though, set the window depth to 0.

ALTHOUGH MSTR DOESNT WORK.
Didn't feel like doing that one :(.

Also he did levels 1 and 2 (maybe another past 2, not sure)
Whole first world.

THE CONTROLS ARE CUSTOMIZABLE! You have to go into the ini file, though. But still, you can do it. I changed them into what I use on Snes9x. More detailed after I beat world 1, get the ending, and 100,000 rupees from Infini.
Its better to use the console.cfg file for rebinding keys really, messing up the default ones can be a !@#$% if you do it wrong.

There is a typo in the TLPT stage, when talking to the alien after the first teleporter, it says ALIENTS, not ALIENS.
>_<

Who gave this a zero?  Seriously, what makes you this this deserves a zero?
No doubt KingKnight (Yes I can read polls :D) was trying to bias the vote in favour of either his own entry or a friend. No big deal. Either that or some horrible bug totally !@#$% it up so it wouldn't start on his pc.

And if your really bored, try editing the maps a bit, its pretty fun actually XD.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:39:24 pm by Infini »
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:00:11 pm »
By the way, if you can't work out how to complete a level, just leave the game on the titlescreen for a while. It will play a demo of one of the maps if you do.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 03:14:32 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
I really liked this one, I have never played "The Lost Vikings" before, so this was actually quite fun. Everything worked as I would expect, but since I have never played the original before, I have nothing to compare against. You seem to have gotten in the small and fun details, and even included a start tutorial(Under a tight schedule that is not something I would expect at first.)

I would have given this a full 10, if it had not been for some minor graphical glitches that I noticed quite clearly. The sprites seem to be cut in two on a horizontal line, so one half of the sprite is on top of another, and another half is behind, making it seem to flicker. And the sprites seem to be cut into a box. so the outer edges of the sprites would just disappear, something i noticed quite good when i fell into an electric beam on the first level i think(or was it the second?)

And another tiny bit I noticed: In the text you left it like it was in the original? As I noticed it told you to press Select to choose items or something, and some other keys that didn't match what it was bound to on the keyboard, but that didn't affect the score in any way ;)

Anyway, good job on this one :)
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »
I would have given this a full 10, if it had not been for some minor graphical glitches that I noticed quite clearly. The sprites seem to be cut in two on a horizontal line, so one half of the sprite is on top of another, and another half is behind, making it seem to flicker. And the sprites seem to be cut into a box. so the outer edges of the sprites would just disappear, something i noticed quite good when i fell into an electric beam on the first level i think(or was it the second?)
Thats not actually a glitch, its a graphics card deal. I wanted to make the game as compaible as possible so I upped the screen resolution to 800x600, meaning the sprites had to be scaled out of their aspect ratio, this make it look at bit nasty at times but its far more efficient.

And there are a number of miss-alignments of graphics, I apologise for that but considering I had to rip every single sprite and animation myself, you could cut me some slack :(, specially as I have no graphical tallent.

And another tiny bit I noticed: In the text you left it like it was in the original? As I noticed it told you to press Select to choose items or something, and some other keys that didn't match what it was bound to on the keyboard, but that didn't affect the score in any way Ouch, you poked my eye out!
It is an old-school recreation remember :P, keep it as close as possible to the original.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 04:43:12 pm »
I just played the original 1st game yesterday, and I must say that this one is just awesome. Especially when we know that you wrote your own editor to make it (played a bit with btw, very fun).

Though I've those graphics card problems, I give you a 8/10, you deserve it.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 07:01:03 pm »
Great remake, sorry about pointing out the typo. Also, I only changed the main keys. For me, W=L, R=R, E=X, S=Y, D=A, X=B, Return=Start, and Space=Select. That's how I changed it. Didn't mess with anything else except the tileset for the editor. Also, can I use tilesets from other games in this (I have tilesets for MM2, MMX3, and NSMB)? If I edit it properly, of course. Also, where's mah rupees? And no offense to Kingknight or Ahruon, but they are 21 and 13 according to their profiles, respectively. In my opinion, Kingknight acts 13 and Ahruon, well I'd say 21 but he acts more mature than Kingknight, though not quite 21. I respect that. That's not a flame or anything; that's my personal observation. Anyways, awesome job and great ending! This game deserves an 11! And I'm mad at myself. I accidentally gave it a 6 before even playing it. I meant to give it more. Now I can't change it. :( One of my favorite games of all time; and one last thing. Why the heck is Olaf playing the drums in his sprite sheet?

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 07:28:03 pm »
Yes you can change the tilesets. Just create a declaration file in Bin\Config\Tilesets, most of the entries are obvious, then select it in the map properties in the editor.

Why the heck is Olaf playing the drums in his sprite sheet?
Its part of the credit sequence in the original game.

I accidentally gave it a 6 before even playing it. I meant to give it more.
!@#$% :P.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 07:30:02 pm »
I still don't have my rupees!
Owwwh, we're doing bets now are we? Awesome. I will give anyone 100,000 rupees who can take a screenshot of the ending sequence of my game :D
See, where are they? I posted a screenshot!
Also, sweet! Lost Vikings in Quickman Stage!

EDIT: I need to get the hang of the editor. Making the custom tileset is easy. Putting into a stage is a completely different matter. I'm splitting my MM2 tileset into 2 parts. The normal stages (with boss images and intro city tileset), and the Wily Stages. I've already finished the first part. I'll upload it when I get the chance. The password for the first Wily stage will be WILY hehe. For the main levels, MEGA. Now working on the NSMB tileset. I'll upload them all when I get the chance. Great work on an amazing program, Infini!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:55:37 pm by MetaKirby »

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 02:04:40 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I must say, this is a spectacular effort, and truly a great endevour that turned out...amazing.

I can see that you didn't sweat the small stuff, but you actually put tons of effort into making it a full and complete demo. The movement was smooth, the graphics crisp (despite the small graphical issues that were mentioned before), it sounded great, and obviously it plays a lot like the original. I have to say that you have outdone yourself Infini. I give it a 9/10.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 02:05:47 am »
I'm almost done with the New Super Mario Bros. tileset! After that, I'll make part 2 of the Megaman 2 tileset, zip up the .png and .ini files that are required, and post them here, ok?

This truly does deserve an 11/10. It's actually quite complete!

• Mirby Studios
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 83 queries.