Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Guests  (Read 3160 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Weird Guests
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:26:56 am »
Call me crazy, but I think some of these guests are following me around! I'll be viewing some really old topic in a random page of a random forum, and then I'll go to the online list and BAM! A guest is viewing the same topic. It's happened a lot. Random topics that nobody would really look at either such as "random underlines?" in feedback.

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON?

"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
Re: Weird Guests
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:30:34 am »
I'm doing it

basically just to creep you out

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:31:03 am »
Ugh... if it is not coincidence, chances are it is actually you and that the forum's Who's Online list is just displaying it goofy. It has happened to me a lot because I go between pages really quickly; replicating the effect otherwise is not that difficult.

Jeod

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:31:40 am »
Damn you, Fissure!

But seriously, I feel like I'm being stalked.

4Sword, if it's me, why would it display as a guest?
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:34:33 am »
There's a slight lag in the Who's Online lists, essentially what 4Sword was saying. When switching between two pages fairly quickly, especially with the use of the back/forward buttons the list can't show the same user twice being in two different places at once so it shows the other as being a Guest... at least that's how I think it works...

Jeod

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:36:15 am »
Wow. I mean, I've seen my name listed as viewing the topic I was just at, but I didn't know it would make a duplicate name as a guest. Glad to know I'm not being stalked, anyway. (Don't even start Fissure...)

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:38:27 am »
The Who's Online page is quite strange; when I go see it it usually shows what I was seeing 2 minutes ago. o_O But it shouldn't appear "Guest" if it was the case.

Call me crazy, but I think some of these guests are following me around! I'll be viewing some really old topic in a random page of a random forum, and then I'll go to the online list and BAM! A guest is viewing the same topic. It's happened a lot. Random topics that nobody would really look at either such as "random underlines?" in feedback.

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON?
<.< I guess someone's stalking you...

lol I do that sometimes, checking the Who's Online page and click on a topic someone is seeing and notice it's a pretty old topic <__< though I've stopped doing that some time ago, anyway.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:39:00 am »
4Sword, if it's me, why would it display as a guest?

Because you are displayed elsewhere with an updated action. Really, I know what I am talking about, I have seen members with their action indicated as posting in a topic, then seeing them either viewing that topic or returning to the board, and then seeing a guest's action be that the guest is posting in that topic.

But yeah, what Q.K. said, really. And by replicating the effect as I mentioned earlier, if you have ever created a small forum and then registered on it, you'll see peculiar guests acting the same as you; and in all circumstantial likelihood, they are you. That effect doesn't seem to appear as much on more active forums due to the occurrence getting "buried" under other user actions; and possibly better hosting on more active forums being able to process information better.

Jeod

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:40:07 am »
Kind of explains why when I make a fresh IF board I'll see a guest even though I didn't give the link to anyone yet. Cool.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 02:42:00 am »
@4Sword
Anyway though, is that too difficult to solve? I mean, to make the Who's Online page work without those bugs all the time?

Jeod

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 02:43:51 am »
We're clogging up the recent posts section of the main forum page, guys. Maybe we should stop... :P

gm112

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 05:25:01 am »
We're clogging up the recent posts section of the main forum page, guys. Maybe we should stop... :P
Woops, it's me. I am Fissure and Fissure is you.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 05:48:25 am »
@4Sword
Anyway though, is that too difficult to solve? I mean, to make the Who's Online page work without those bugs all the time?

It depends on how interconnected the IP address is to the way the Who's Online list is handled. If there are two IP addresses and both of them are the same with the same user-name for both of them, it would look odd to display both user names. It seems like it would be easy to remove the duplicate if the IP address matched a user logged in; not sure if the IP address a person uses changes a bit while logged in or just how SMF handles it. I'll have to check whenever I run into it again to know for sure. I remember once when I was in high school that I had a script on my home computer refresh my page for ZFGC and then I logged in at school. It never logged me out, it probably just showed me within the span of fifteen minutes switching between two IP addresses.

And then again, SMF 2.0 might have addressed this, I don't know. It's not like a y2k bug or anything, lol.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 05:50:35 am »
Sounds like opening a couple hundred topics in tabs is cool.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 08:54:12 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Well, as far as I know, most of the "guests" are bots that go to random topics (maybe ones that were visted in the recent minute?). That is why there are some guests who are printing "I LOVE ANGELA" and other !@#$% that is unexplainable...
  • For The Swarm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 64 queries.

anything