Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oracle of Hours  (Read 1845 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Oracle of Hours
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:06:19 am »
Yeah yeah I know I know. I'm already doing LAR, etc etc. Don't quit it, etc etc. But I'M NOT! This topic serves simply as a community story development based on the maps for the fake Oracle of Hours game featured on VGmaps.com. (I have also posted a zip attachment in discussion for anyone who wants to use them)

So, what we know so far.

>Game title is Oracle of Hours
>Farore is most likely an author or tutor
>The world is called Falsia, but that is because it was meant as an April Fools joke
>Game features day and night system, changeable by Link via using a special item to light the strange statues resembling gossip stones
>The entire overworld changes between day and night, see graveyard for example
>Dungeons are all dependent on day and night transitions
>Items are already decided and listed in each dungeon map
>Main antagonist seems to be some kind of shadowy figure resembling the Nightmare from Link's Awakening

Story of how this game would be played out based on the maps is open for community discussion. We have the graphics, the music, and the ability. If the entire community contributes, the maps could be put to good use.

***I am in no way quitting Link's Awakening Remastered even if this does turn out to get a good storyline. I don't care if it can be the best game ever for GB style. I AM NOT QUITTING LAR FOR THIS!

One comment I have for the game, however. I believe that the password system would have to go. Make this game have nothing to do with the other two or use creativity to link it differently with the other two.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:09:13 am by Jeod »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
Re: Oracle of Hours
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:03:01 am »
I don't know if you should take it in the trend of "Oracle of Hours", because it looks then as if it has a time theme, which somewhat clashes with Oracle of Ages. Although I agree on that the password system has to go, because it is to difficult. I don't think you should lose any kind of connection with the other oracles. So get rid of the Hours addition. You can still make use of the maps or partials, but don't take it to literal to what VGmaps.com started. My idea is as follows:

> Title: Oracle of Secrets, because Farore is the Oracle of Secrets in Ages and Seasons.
> Oracle Role: 1) Teacher/scientist, 2) Archaeologist for the first I would say that she is an inventor and teaches things like history. For the second I would say she goes around digging for ruins to discover the hidden histories and secrets of ancient societies. My preference is number 2. But she is a descendant of the Keeper of the Book of Secrets.
> The world name: ??? I've never been really good at naming, so I don't really care. It is not that important.
> Maku tree: 1) a young child, 2) an old geezer Oracle of ages and seasons had both a man and a woman in somewhat there primes, it would be fun to take a youngling or a really old tree.
> Essences: Essences of knowledge Seasons had essences of nature and Ages had essences of time, which both tied in with the name and the theme.

> Story begin: The Triforce sends Link to a far away land to battle the upcoming darkness. When he lands he meets Farore and her party of diggers and researchers who are busy in some old ruin. Here they release some darkness, who reveals that Farore is the Oracle of Secrets and that she must know the location of the book of secrets. The shadow needs it to revive his long lost evil society. The shadow takes Farore captive and Link needs to collect all the essences of knowledge and find out about the evil society, to rescue Farore and defeat the evil.

> Evil Societies Background Story: Long ago there was a society that had obtained great technological achievements and a huge library of knowledge. They were about to break through to the realm of godhood and immortality. But the leaders of this society misused there technology and knowledge to hurt other lands and spread darkness over the world. Some of the people hated their leaders abuse of power and rebelled against them. And among the rebels there was one young warrior that stood out. He used a mighty weapon to reveal the truth about his lands darkness to the world and to the Goddesses. As the goddesses saw the plight of the people, they destroy the land with one fell swoop. The lands sank to be swallowed by the earth. But the society's vast knowledge and achievements couldn't be destroyed. Therefore they were sealed away in the book of secrets and the young warrior, who revealed the truth and was the only one to survive the destruction, was appointed Keeper of the book of secrets. In time the dark society was forgotten and a new nation rose on the land. The Keeper got married and had a long line of descendants. Now only that remains of the dark society are the ruins of the tops from their highest towers, but deep beneath the earth lies another thing that could not be destroyed. There lies the accumulation of their willpower, the amalgam of their dark desires; waiting to become stronger and the world to drop their guard; waiting to let the dark society be reborn again. I know it has an Atlantis ring, but hey I sucked it out my thumb in less then a minute

> Main item: Mask(or Lens) of truth with the powers 1) Revelation of light: turns night into day and reveals the secrets that are covered by light, 2) Cover of darkness: turns day into night and reveals the secrets that lie in the darkness, and 3) Voices of Spirits: turns the world into twilight and reveals the ghosts and spirits of the dead and forgotten.

>Gameplay: You could use a day and night system, that automatically changes, but you could also say that certain areas are standard covered in night, day or twilight. In dungeons the new weapon-chest can only be opened during the night or day. And certain puzzles require day, night or twilight settings. Think of the mirror puzzles in OOT and TWW.

Well for the rest I've no idea yet. what to make, but this i the basic for what I use for an Oracle game. I haven't looked at the maps yet, but I will later and give my 10 cents on that.

**PS: where is the zip attachment?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:00:28 pm by Niek »

Jeod

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »
Here, http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=33485.0

I like the idea of an ancient civilization. If you go with that, then the new race would perhaps be ghosts who lived that long ago and could tell you about the place.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Jeod

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:53:30 pm »
Detailed Beginning

After Ages and Seasons, Link returns to Hyrule to finally take a break. But it is not long before the Essence of the Triforce calls him again, this time to a land where an evil greater than the resurrection of Ganon is brewing.

Link awakens in Falsia (or some other name), apparently a guest in the house of Farore. The oracle introduces herself as a historian, claiming to write books mixing fact, legend, and theory together. After the salutations, Farore notices Link's Triforce mark and proceeds to tell him about her latest discovery...

But Link doesn't get to hear the story for long. Night arrives suddenly and without warning, and a fierce wind howls outside. Farore peeks out to investigate, Link following closely behind. Link is blinded by an extravagent light, and all he can hear is Farore screaming. The last thing he hears before being knocked out is a single name...

(insert antagonist name here)

Impa shakes Link until he wakes, once again in the house of Farore. Deja vu! Impa quickly tells Link what happened, and orders Link to visit the Maku Tree near (insert village name here). Impa leads Link outside, behind Farore's house, and into a hidden catacomb beneath some bushes. (Impa uses some kind of magic or weapon to cut the bushes)

Link is led to a chest, which contains a sword. Impa explains that Link will need this item to prove himself to the Maku Tree. At this point, Link is left to find the Maku Tree by himself, and the game begins...

Basic Plot

The antagonist captured Farore to learn of her recent discovery and uncover the mystery behind it. Her discovery? A very rare eclipse that bathes an awesome light force on the Temple of Hours. (Which has been made the antagonist's fortress) If this light force comes in contact with a living being, then that being will be made like a God. (Supernatural intelligence, infinite strength, magical abilities, the works) Link's mission is to stop this monstrosity before his reign can seep into Hyrule.

Idea for a "linked game"

Far below the Temple of Hours is a portal that leads to Hyrule. (Used by the Essence of Triforce to send Link to this world) It will open when Link does something special in the game, and the antagonist will achieve his goal of becoming a God figure and the epic battle for Hyrule begins.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:55:26 pm by Jeod »

Jeod

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:38:52 am »
No comments? Huh. Thought someone would seize the chance to make this thing. Guess I'll do it if LAR falls flat.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:37:30 am »
I like the idea alot and i love oracle of seasons/age. It might be intresting :)

And yes... People here is starting to get lazy, they only comment if its a game of uberness that is in development already and they comment "Wow, thats amazing" and they are gone. And that really sucks.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:45:50 pm »
I like the idea alot and i love oracle of seasons/age. It might be intresting :)

And yes... People here is starting to get lazy, they only comment if its a game of uberness that is in development already and they comment "Wow, thats amazing" and they are gone. And that really sucks.

Some people are also to busy with other stuff to be bother to read everything that comes here. And reacting to concepts that always seem bad at a first glance is a waste, because many leave holes on purpose or use the topic to document their concepts. So it is not only laziness.

Jeod, as above I don't really like the use of time again, especially when it is represented in gameplay by a day and night system as we've seen in OOT, MM, TWW and TP. But I've thought some more about the role of Farore. Din was a Dancer and Nayru mad music. Both are artistic roles with a focus on music. I can't think of another artistic role with a focus on music. If we drop the music bit and just focus on artistic: 1) Painter, 2) Sculptor, 3) Storyteller, 4) fiction-writer. Being a historian writing books has to much an emphasis on the scientific, which might not tie in with the other oracles.

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:00:31 pm »
I've decided to start with this game while mapping Link's Awakening. Therefore I have created a possible plot. To be coded in Multimedia Fusion 2, accepting helpers in music, sprites, and plotline advice. Maps of the overworld and dungeons can be found Here.

Oracle of Hours: Outline

Style: Gameboy
Connection to Seasons/Ages: None
Overworld name: Falsia
Theme: Day & Night transitions (Overworld changes with day and night)

Day:
Flowers are open
Tide is low
Gargoyle statues block paths
Some houses close their doors

Night:
Flowers are closed
Tide is high
Gargoyles come to life
Most houses close their doors while ones who had theirs closed during the day are now open

Special Role: Link will be able to control the hours using the Lamp of Hours in cooperation with the Moon Lanterns scattered around Falsia. When
Link lights the Moon Lanterns, night falls. The Moon Lanterns will remain lit until Link chooses to smother the flame. The Lamp of Hours will
absord sunlight while Link travels throughout the day, and absorption time will progress faster when Link collects more essences of hours. Link
can also travel to "sun spots", hidden in unobvious places in Falsia. Here Link can instantly fill his lantern with sunlight for the Moon
Lanterns.

Linked Game: If the player manages to 100% complete the game without dying, then the option to start a "linked game" unlocks. In a linked game,
the player will find enemies to increase much more in numbers, the Lamp of Hours will take much longer to absord sunlight, and at the end when
Link defeats Apophis' second form, the eclipse will occur and Link will have to battle Apophis the God of Hours. To add to the sense of urgency,
the portal to Hyrule will open in the Temple of Hours, leading straight to the very place Link first began his quest. Although the player will
not get the chance to enter the portal, Link will battle to keep Apophis from conquering Hyrule as well as Falsia.

Main Characters:
Link - The Hero
Farore - An artist who usually paints the visions she has in her dreams.
Apophis - The villan who kidnaps Farore in hopes of using her power to summon a rare eclipse that will grant him the might of a God.
Maku Tree - The Maku Tree is old and wise now, and explains many things to Link when the player asks.

Cameo Characters:
Jeod - A man of the seas, Jeod is the sailor who keeps track of the tides.
*ZFGCer's name* - Archaeologist who lives in the desert.
Jon - A mapmaker who lives in the swamp. Will add details to Link's maps to aid in the player's quest.
*Contributor's name* - A hiker who lives in the mountains. Will tell stories about his treks, and often mistakenly reveals secrets in the
mountains.
*Nintendo Seasons/Ages employee's name* - Gasha enthusiast. Also a secreted ring appraiser.
*Contributor's name* - A storyteller in the village of Fay who loves to talk about urban legends.

Plot: After a short time post-Seasons and Ages, Link is again called by the Essence of the Triforce. This time, the Oracle of Hours is in danger,
as well as Hyrule. Apophis, an evil astronomer, aka Magistrate of the Moon, seeks to utilize Farore's mastery of day and night to cause a rare
eclipse which is said to grant the might of a God to whoever comes into contact with the light it shines. The eclipse has never been seen before,
and is therefore only a legend told by the villagers. But when it happens, a ray of light bathes itself on the Temple of Hours, ironically the
fortress and home of Apophis. Link must stop the corrupt astronomer from wreaking havoc, with the help of Farore's heirloom, the Lamp of Hours.

justjake

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 03:19:38 pm »
I always loved the Oracle series and I really liked the April Fools maps on VGmaps. I think its a brilliant idea that someone wants to use them! So, this twilight/spirit thing... is this like the Subrosions or Zoras in the other 2?  XD Rosa is still one of my favourite characters!

Jeod

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 03:43:37 pm »
This project is long gone. Sorry to burst your bubble dude.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 54 queries.