Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a Zelda Game - Where to start  (Read 1264 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Creating a Zelda Game - Where to start
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »
This guide is for those of you who have this grand scheme of a Zelda game all planned out, right down to the last detail, but then have trouble putting it into code when you have the ability to code. Why do you have trouble? You don't know how or where to start!

(This tutorial is for all game making programs, by the way)

I started off with the basic crap. A title screen, file select, name input. I made sure the name would save when the player was finished inputting it. Second, I made a debug room so I could work out every player control, including all the items. Third, I made sure the file select worked by enabling it to save in the debug room. Once I got all that down, I finalized the debug room by adding NPCs and text, among other things used a lot in the game. (Enemies, a boss chamber, small keys, dungeon puzzles, etc)

There's your basic engine. Now you need to implement your story. Start with putting the overworld in your game, then placing Link where he's supposed to start. Work from there, adding in collisions, NPCs, text, and cutscenes. Now that you have the beginning of your game done, it's time to plan how to carry out the rest of the game. If you're going to be testing a lot of things, it would be a good idea to make "warp points" or a "debug mode" so you can easily access certain areas.

Good way to start off if you have no idea where to begin.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
Re: Creating a Zelda Game - Where to start
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:08 am »
I would start by making the debug room and let Link do the most basic acts and gradually expanding the debug room according to the expansion in Link's abilities. The title screen, naming and saving come somewhere in between or at the end to finish up. Then once you've done this you can gradually create the overworld and story. The overworld has the most priority, but putting in the beginning of a story while creating the overworld can't hurt.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:11 pm »
Doesnt always work with debug rooms :P
Anyways, i guess the tut is nice :p

gm112

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:23:08 pm »
Interesting... kind of nice of you to share your experience :P. If you get bored, you could possibly make this into a series. ZFGC needs something like this.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:28:23 pm »
I also always start with the title screen, I move on to name registration, and then the game. Depending on the way the game works, I may start with the initial cutscene. From there I will move into the game. I will begin with the HUD and pause menus, followed by hearts and magic, and then rupees. Walking and animations come next, which also incorporate the overworld, overlays, water and collision layer. From here come the actions Link will have, in no particular order. After that I will add NPC's, which would be followed by enemies. Boss's and dungeons would come after.
  • Elliott Parkinson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 47 queries.

anything