Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Under rated games  (Read 5871 times)

Under rated games
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:51:07 pm »
  • Loopier than a bowl of Cheerios
You know, there are some incredible games that go completely under the radar so I think it'd be good if people recommended their choice of underrated games that most people have never played. Any console, any generation. Which games do you guys love that never hit the big time.

Heres Mine:

Beyond Good and Evil: Anyone who has played this will tell you that it truly deserves a sequel, why the hell Rayman has continued while this was left to die is absolutely beyond me.

Slider: Ancient Codemasters puzzler, predecessor to Polarium. Turn blue squares pink, was so addictive you played until you could see through time itself.

The Windwaker: Still overlooked by some people as "kiddie" despite the fact that it is a beautiful, touching and genuinely funny game.

Evolution 1 & 2: Okay so the RPGing was flawed, mainly due to a lack of a decent overworld and having only 1 town per game but the characters were loveable, dialog was funny and the story in both was genuinely touching. Also features the most evil bad guy in any rpg ever imo

Sonic Adventure 1: Still the best 3D sonic ever, even if it was a bit crap playing any other character than sonic.

Body Harvest: Closest thing to GTA on the N64

So what does everyone else think? any games you recommend people play that they might have over looked?

Re: Under rated games
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:12:41 pm »
  • [sic]
Sonic Advance: Far, far better than it's sequels, which all got higher ratings.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 03:00:03 pm »
hmm kame, I think sonic advance 2 was better than the first, just small gameplay tweaks that made it tons better, dont have to jump on every power-up capsule, grinding is was easier and the trick system made level design much more interesting
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:21:47 pm »
  • [sic]
hmm kame, I think sonic advance 2 was better than the first, just small gameplay tweaks that made it tons better, dont have to jump on every power-up capsule, grinding is was easier and the trick system made level design much more interesting
True, however, I didn't like the level design of SA2 at all. It made it way too easy to pass by just holding right and jumping a couple times. It also didn't make much use of the speed it added, which would have been nice. Some very nice gameplay elements could have been made for it.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 03:37:03 pm »
I agree with Kame, it was just about holding right on the d-pad. I did like the additions and the extra speed but IMO Sonic Rush put them to better use. At the same time SR is too short compared to the Sonic Adavance games.

Another underrated game I think people should play is V-Rally 3 on the Gameboy Advance. its pretty decent and looks lovely for a GBA game.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:44:50 pm »
  • .越//
albion ( from blue byte, the developers of settlers ): a huge rpg which is still worth playing

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 04:28:34 pm »
  • [sic]
I agree with Kame, it was just about holding right on the d-pad. I did like the additions and the extra speed but IMO Sonic Rush put them to better use. At the same time SR is too short compared to the Sonic Adavance games.
Precisely.

And another one: LoZ 1 - Never by critics, but always by ZFGC'ers. Pisses me off.
Sonic Heroes, too. I thought it was pretty fun. Too simplistic, but still fun. Unfortunate;y, none of the 3D sonic games have been as fun, because Sonic's gameplay, was almost entirely based around the 2-dimensional format, and the new designers just haven't been able to be as innovative or creative as those for the 2D games. I mean, come on, Shadow the Hedgehog?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 04:32:02 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
Buck Bumble - damn that was fun  ;D

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 04:37:25 pm »
  • Your expression has changed too
Precisely.

And another one: LoZ 1 - Never by critics, but always by ZFGC'ers. Pisses me off.
Sonic Heroes, too. I thought it was pretty fun. Too simplistic, but still fun. Unfortunate;y, none of the 3D sonic games have been as fun, because Sonic's gameplay, was almost entirely based around the 2-dimensional format, and the new designers just haven't been able to be as innovative or creative as those for the 2D games. I mean, come on, Shadow the Hedgehog?
Shadow the Hedgehog? What about Sonic the Hedgehog on Xbox 360 and PS3? Stupid SEGA, giving it the same name the original game has, causing me to need to type out the console it's on everytime I bring it up. Sonic the Hedgehog was at least ten times worse then Shadow the Hedgehog. Anyways, I'd have to agree with Wind Waker being underrated, everyone says how Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game ever, and Wind Waker blows it away in comparison. Get it, "blows" it away in comparison? Ah, I suck... The only site/magazine/person that scored Twilight Princess less then Wind Waker was GameSpot, and people gave them tons of !@#$% for it. I agree with what he states in that it sticks too closley to the formula Ocarina of Time used. Plus Wolf Link's gameplay sucks.
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 04:45:38 pm »
  • .越//
i dont think that wind waker could blow away twilight princess even thought that i dont know much of tp story but i have wind waker and as zelda game it isnt very good, but tp graphics on it would be really cool ^^ ( but when one game should have TP graphics it should be LttP )

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
~Other~

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 04:51:41 pm »
this topics sure going well.. people listing zelda games, and disputing other people's tastes...

underrated.. I'd say starsky and hutch on the GBA, free roaming 3D (not true 3D) city with 3D cars, fun missions, good framerate, really put GTAdvance and the driver games to shame.

super mario 64 DS, I'll never understand the slamming this game gets, I think the only solid point reviewers have is when they say "it's still just a recreation of the N64 original" and for that it doesn't deserve as good a reputation?
improved graphics, level design, story, physics, and controls (yes the controls are god damn better on the DS)
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 04:56:55 pm »
  • Your expression has changed too
i dont think that wind waker could blow away twilight princess even thought that i dont know much of tp story but i have wind waker and as zelda game it isnt very good, but tp graphics on it would be really cool ^^ ( but when one game should have TP graphics it should be LttP )
Zelda games shouldn't stick exactly to the design that Ocarina of Time spread out. Every 3D Zelda game has expanded on the formula in some huge way, but Twilight Princess sticks to what Ocarina did because with every Zelda that comes out, almost everyone says "It's not as good as Ocarina of Time". And Wind Waker's graphics are beautiful, try looking outside of how "realistic" a game looks. If Wind Waker used Twilight Princess' graphics, I'd throw up, because Nintendo can't seem to design realistic styled children if their life depended on it.

:-X
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 05:05:57 pm »
super mario 64 DS, I'll never understand the slamming this game gets, I think the only solid point reviewers have is when they say "it's still just a recreation of the N64 original" and for that it doesn't deserve as good a reputation?
improved graphics, level design, story, physics, and controls (yes the controls are god damn better on the DS)

I agree with everything but the controls statement, I genuinely loath the controls, they would have been far superior if the "target" didnt move while you had your thumb on the touchscreen. Othar than that yeah. SM64DS was alot better than SM64, Better models, better textures, more characters and a hand full of new levels too.

Hmm, how about Jazz Jack Rabbit? anyone remember those games? they were awesome. I think they were on the Amiga although I could be wrong.

Zool: was just so damned hard it was unbelievable.

Super Mario Bros 2: Not a real mario game but who cares? it was a very different game and probably the most original 2D mario game ever.

Fur Fighters (DC Original): Absolutely Barking, literally.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
  • .越//
Zelda games shouldn't stick exactly to the design that Ocarina of Time spread out. Every 3D Zelda game has expanded on the formula in some huge way, but Twilight Princess sticks to what Ocarina did because with every Zelda that comes out, almost everyone says "It's not as good as Ocarina of Time". And Wind Waker's graphics are beautiful, try looking outside of how "realistic" a game looks. If Wind Waker used Twilight Princess' graphics, I'd throw up, because Nintendo can't seem to design realistic styled children if their life depended on it.

:-X

those two are from wind waker... they just were redesigned to the new style, those are on the first island.

Left seems to be like

and the other one ( couldnt find a pic ) has a woooden stick too

and those two were mixed up with the "gang" on the other island

+ new tp style = those two / three :P

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

~GB-Zelda Style~
~Other~

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 05:24:19 pm »
This is a topic I made for people to suggest games to play that people might not have heard of/ bothered with in the past, not a zelda discussion, if it were it'd be in zelda talk....  >:(

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 05:28:12 pm »
  • [sic]
Precisely.

Shadow the Hedgehog? What about Sonic the Hedgehog on Xbox 360 and PS3? Stupid SEGA, giving it the same name the original game has, causing me to need to type out the console it's on everytime I bring it up. Sonic the Hedgehog was at least ten times worse then Shadow the Hedgehog.
Agreed. However, I think it was Shadow the Hedgehog that marked the Sonic series becoming not worth playing. I thought the previous games were worth playing, but ShTH and STH06 are just horrible, horrible games.

Dascu

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 05:37:21 pm »
Put one up for Beyond Good&Evil. Very good game. Storyline wise, it demands a sequel. I hope Ancel is going to work on it once he finishes up Rayman for X360 and PS3 (on that subject, will they be real platformers or minigames like the Wii version?).

Killer7 is very underrated. It's on-rails, in the sense that you have to walk on a preset trajectory. However, there's still a lot of exploration, and the trajectory system is very pleasant. It allows for some great camera angels and smooths out the flow of the game. I want more games like it. (-> DQS looks real interesting)
The story, presentation, characters, dialogue, cel-shaded graphics is just phenomenally good. It's so refined and polished. The actual gameplay can get a tad repetitive, but those quirky Heaven Smiles are just fun to shoot and the Boss-fights are WOW. I recommend it to any owner of a GCN (or Wii, game would work great with Wiimote) or PS2, who's looking for a stylish action game with great story and characters.

mit

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 05:41:20 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Hmm, let's see.

Starfox adventures, although lacking in originality, was excellent. Beautifully designed in a realistic enviroment, without colouring everything brown and gray.
Rayman 3 was really underrated because of its slightly insecure story or something. Whatever. It was brilliant - it wasn't Zelda, but it truly made me think, "why aren't there more games like this these days?" Fun, funny, good gameplay and many extras.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was a thousand times better than Sonic Heros - that was a pile of crap. Heros was overrated, SA2B was well underrated for a "Dodgy Camera." No one said that about TP... (well, I did. Wind Waker Camera was perfect, why worsen it? Why hide your lovely new 'realistic' textures?)
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 05:51:34 pm »
  • [sic]
SA2B was good, yeah. i never got to play it much, though.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 06:06:50 pm »
Fur Fighters (DC Original): Absolutely Barking, literally.
lol, yeh I used to have that game - Got kinder boring after a while though :(.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 78 queries.