Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Can We Do To Get More Life Here?  (Read 32713 times)

Re: What Can We Do To Get More Life Here?
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2014, 07:28:37 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
This is a Zelda Fan Game forum in the year 2014. You've been dead for the past 4 years. Just let it go.

It really is interesting, now that I really take some time to look at what has happened in the past few years. When people say "dead", it really just seems like they mean one thing: "No new completed Zelda fan games". But there's been a lot of development, like Horn of Balance, Echoes of Aurelia, some more OoT2d attempts, the Project Zelda Engine, and Atom finished his Zelda game. Also, the King of Thieves community project made a nice amount of progress, and there have been some awesome 3D projects in the style of WW and TP and more. There was also some kind of Skrillex Zelda game, which was completed, I guess, lol. So there is still plenty of development going on and a nice amount of creativity and talent here.

So, as far as fan game completion goes, yeah, kind of dead in that regard, but development is still plenty fresh and going fairly strong. The truth is, ZFGC offers stuff that you just can't get anywhere else. Closest thing would be the Zelda Classic (PureZC) forums or something.

I've got a proposal:

I was going through all the completed projects, and most of those are so old that all links are broken. But dang, I was unaware of many of those and how impressive some of them actually were. My proposal is this: If anyone still has some of these lost Zelda fan games on their HDDs, we could make a topic where we try to save them. The first post would have a list of currently "lost" games as well as a list of "recovered" games. Obviously, people would upload the "lost" games and then submit a link to the DL on the topic, and the lost game would then be moved to the recovered list with the link. The "lost" games list would serve to show people what games are still missing so that someone might think "oh hey! I have that on my HDD! (or SSD, whatever)".

This idea came about because I was planning to start up a Let's Play series for Zelda fan games and was saddened to find that all the ones I wanted to play were mostly just screenshots and descriptions and accompanied by a broken link.
I think it would really be beneficial for ZFGC to try to gather up as many completed Zelda games as possible and have one topic for all of them. If people actually saw what has been done, it could really help people to get inspired and motivated with developing their own games.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:31:19 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 03:40:34 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
This is a Zelda Fan Game forum in the year 2014. You've been dead for the past 4 years. Just let it go.

Shut up, Lunar ;)

As for 4sword's suggestions, I'm not sure how I feel about the advanced and novice coding sections.  Splitting them up seems a bit weird.  I get where you're going with it, but maybe a "beginner's code" child board within the coding board makes more sense?  This way beginner questions (and I mean beginner -- what's a loop) won't get mixed in and lost with the not so beginner questions.

Merging graphics and audio seems cool, like you said it would mask the lack of interest in the audio board.  But it may also cause audio to get drowned out (no pun intended) all together.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 03:42:52 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com

Shut up, Lunar ;)

As for 4sword's suggestions, I'm not sure how I feel about the advanced and novice coding sections.  Splitting them up seems a bit weird.  I get where you're going with it, but maybe a "beginner's code" child board within the coding board makes more sense?  This way beginner questions (and I mean beginner -- what's a loop) won't get mixed in and lost with the not so beginner questions.

Merging graphics and audio seems cool, like you said it would mask the lack of interest in the audio board.  But it may also cause audio to get drowned out (no pun intended) all together.

I agree with all of this (especially the shut up Lunar :P hehehe).
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 04:16:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies. And yeah with what you and FrozenFire said earlier, the division of Coding into Beginner and Advanced would be awkward and difficult to enforce. One might have something that they deem to be advanced but done in Game Maker, or a beginner question about starting in C++ might seem weird going in an advanced board.

Other than that, the only division that could be done, I think, would be splitting Coding into Game Maker and Misc. Coding. This would allow infrequent things like web scripting languages like HTML/Javascript/etc. and observed difficult/niche languages like C/C++/C# to share a board keeping the perceived level of activity above non-existent.

I see your concerns about Audio getting drowned out. In some ways by idea is based on the current state of Audio being so low that tutorials and active, somewhat frequent development of audio works are unlikely to happen - this is to say that if Audio ever did get frequent that it would deserve its own space. However, even with Graphics in its current state, I don't think that Audio topics when put into the activity of the Graphics board would go that unnoticed.

Thanks again for your responses.
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 05:47:20 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
ZFGC will die the day I find a bottle of Diet Coke with "ZFGC" on it

cuz lord knows you can't find your own name on those things let alone ZFGC
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:45 am »
  • .越//
ZFGC will not fall... there's a picture

its named: ZFGC falls no more ;)

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 49 queries.

anything