Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scientology  (Read 5983 times)

Limey

Re: Scientology
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 01:18:31 am »
The idea of aliens seems more likely to me than a god.
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 01:19:00 am »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Historical support.  You know, simple things here and there, such as: http://www.beyondthisplanet.org/bible/No_mistakes/accurate_history1.htm
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 03:16:41 pm »
  • Why am I so indisicive?
I wouldn'r ever compare scientology with christianity. Even though I find both to be vile.

Scientology charges thousands of dollars for their religious services, which is utter !@#$% and means they make a prophet, which also means they should be taxed because religion isn't a buisness.

At least the chrstian church on a whole doesn't have the audacity to charge for it's churchley services.
Meghan <3 Lederhosen!

Soy un perdedor. I???m a loser baby, so why don???t you kill me?

<('.'<)<)<)<)<)
  • deviant
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 05:41:25 pm »
You have to PAY to belong in that religion?  This was one good thing about the Protestant Reformation, the introduction to private worship in one's own home, basing conclusions on the Bible as they themselves see it.  At least, that's what I think happened, I could be wrong, Global seems like such a long time ago...
"May the innovation be with you."

www.guffa.smf4free.com
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 06:58:52 pm »
  • Why am I so indisicive?
You have to PAY to belong in that religion?  This was one good thing about the Protestant Reformation, the introduction to private worship in one's own home, basing conclusions on the Bible as they themselves see it.  At least, that's what I think happened, I could be wrong, Global seems like such a long time ago...

yeah you have to pay, why do you think their almost all rich white folk?
Meghan <3 Lederhosen!

Soy un perdedor. I???m a loser baby, so why don???t you kill me?

<('.'<)<)<)<)<)
  • deviant

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 01:42:37 pm »
Historical support.  You know, simple things here and there, such as: http://www.beyondthisplanet.org/bible/No_mistakes/accurate_history1.htm

You can't be serious. That site is just stupid.

Then, an archaeologist discovered an ancient  slab with writing on it. This mentioned that someone had had a battle with a nation of people called Hittites! The Bible was right!  The following edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica contained lots if information about this people!

And the  odyssey by Homer must also be totally correct because it mentions the Trojans, and they existed too! OMG!!

But Pharaoh got really angry. He forced the slaves to make bricks with clay and straw, then he made it harder by letting them use only stubble ( small, left over pieces of straw) with the clay.
Finally, they had only clay and nothing else. 

For a long time, some people claimed that this part of the Bible was not real history at all, but just pretend stories. But one archaeologist proved that even tiny details, like the story of the bricks, were true.
He discovered an ancient building in Egypt, in the city of Pithon. The bottom of the walls used proper bricks, made of mud and straw. Further up the wall, middle layers were of bricks with mud and stubble.  The archaeologists discovered that some of the stubble had been torn up by the roots!  That is just what might have happened if a slave was rushing to make the quota of bricks that day. The top layers of bricks had no straw at all. They were just mud ??? exactly as the Bible recorded it! 

That doesn't prove !@#$%. the only thing it proves (considering that the site is even credible, which I highly doubt) is that they used stubble. Also, may I please have a link to this archaeologist that supposedly found these things? That site seems to be seriously lacking in citations.

Archaeologists have discovered that the ruins of Jericho prove that the walls fell down ??? but not inwards, as if the army had battered them in.  The bricks and rubble show that the walls fell outward!  That was a miracle!  No people would want to push their own city walls down from inside the city!

If a city is abandoned for a couple thousand years, what do you think the condition of the walls would be?

The archaeologists also found, inside the ruined city, pots full of grain.  That proved that the city was not besieged and the people were not starved into defeat.  The only explanation is that the Bible is right!  The collapse of the walls and the defeat of Jericho was sudden.

Wouldn't you expect grain to rot after a thousand or so years? The author seems to miss the idea that the grain could've been brought there by the occupying force, or just be remnants of later attempts to live in the city.

Notice how the entire time the author of the site continually forgets to cite any sources. I'm going to totally throw away the credibility of this site.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 01:54:41 pm »
  • Loopier than a bowl of Cheerios
What are your views on scientology? Its become a primary focus of YTMND. I find it silly to have a religion based on a science fiction book, but then again look at christianity.

BAH! for the billionth time scientology isnt based on a book, it was created by a sci-fi AUTHOR. It was based on his beliefs. After he founded the religion he wrote several books about it which is where this misconception started... anyway his name was L. Ron Hubbard. And its a load of old balls, even its followers know its made up....those famous weirdos.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:56:15 pm by Uppy »

Naz

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 02:18:14 pm »
  • Ph34r the toast.
I find it hard to go with any sci-fi book.  How can you believe it? I mean, a book, science-FICTION, author?  He just made it up to get money >_>
I find it a horrible religion. (Atheist ^_^ Don't try to convert me, rofl XD) Stick with an old faith, not a cult >_>
Don't read this.
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 02:20:57 pm »
He just made it up to get money >_>

He was once quoted as saying "Writing stories for a penny a word is no way to get rich, the best way to become a millionaire is to start your own religion" so...um yeah he did.  :D

We should try it: Zeldatology!

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 04:13:20 pm »
And the  odyssey by Homer must also be totally correct because it mentions the Trojans, and they existed too! OMG!!
And people believe The Illiad as a Bible, obviously.

Point is that history supports it (and to be honest I only meant for you to look at the first quoted section), and history does NOT support scientology. ^_^
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 04:45:58 pm »
  • Along Time Ago
lol did any one see that south park episode about scientology that was funny.  ;D :D ::) ;D :D
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 04:58:53 pm »
  • Its the joeshmo!
lol did any one see that south park episode about scientology that was funny.  ;D :D ::) ;D :D

Yeah, actually I posted it here.
  • Netterra Virtual Pets

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006, 06:34:40 pm »
And people believe The Illiad as a Bible, obviously.

People believing in something does not make it true. Although that should be quite obvious.

Point is that history supports it (and to be honest I only meant for you to look at the first quoted section), and history does NOT support scientology. ^_^

Only history doesn't support either. All you gave me was a biased site with no credibility. =\
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 06:49:33 pm »
People believing in something does not make it true. Although that should be quite obvious.
You were using a stupid example of comparing the truth of Homer's Odyssey to the Bible.  People don't believe the Odyssey as they do the Bible, thus your statement has little relevance to the situation.

As for the rest of this debate: I quit... I give up, I've had these before, and it's not worth it.  You win.  Happy?  I bet not, because I haven't unconverted from Christianity yet.  It's really odd the obsession many aethiests have with tearing down Christian's beliefs.  Makes you wonder if they really disbelieve it.
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 07:13:14 pm »
 :'( I wasn't trying to unconvert anyone. what people believe is what they believe and people shouldnt try to change someones beliefs

Limey

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 08:34:36 pm »
Possum we aren't trying to 'tear down your beliefs' this is a DEBATE.  If you don't want to debate religous credibility, don't go into the debates section u__u

Ben

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 08:38:14 pm »
Just a random observation (slightly related).
If you were to go up to a highly religious person and say "God doesn't exist, you're living a lie" they'd probably go ape at you and call it blaspheme (note highly religious).
If you were to go up to a highly scientific person (ie me) and say "Ben all of the things that science has taught you are wrong and you are living a lie". I'd be like "Really? Okay, personally I don't believe you but feel free to prove it."
It seems to me that religious people are rather pretentious (is that the right word?) about their beliefs.
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 08:54:20 pm »
Just a random observation (slightly related).
If you were to go up to a highly religious person and say "God doesn't exist, you're living a lie" they'd probably go ape at you and call it blaspheme (note highly religious).
If you were to go up to a highly scientific person (ie me) and say "Ben all of the things that science has taught you are wrong and you are living a lie". I'd be like "Really? Okay, personally I don't believe you but feel free to prove it."
It seems to me that religious people are rather pretentious (is that the right word?) about their beliefs.
Well yeh that is true, but its because the 2 things are founded on completly different things, science is founded of fact, religion is founded on ones own personal faith, so explaing faith is near enough impossible to someone who dosen't believe it and because of it religious people tend to get very defensive.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 08:56:41 pm »
Still, why should they?
I personally believe that religion is there to fill in the gaps that science cannot explain. And it does that very well, with saying that God created the universe, because I am happy to believe that, until someone can prove what did make the universe "bang".
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion

gm112

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2006, 09:00:14 pm »
Scientology is complete !@#$%. I would believe that  "god(s)" created the universe instead of a big bang. It's very unlogical that something exploding created all this. Sure there are a bunch of particles flying everywhere..but thats just...stupid
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 73 queries.