Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HUD Concepts  (Read 1561 times)

Ryuza

That one guy
HUD Concepts
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:58 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
I'm currently working on a small platformer where the main character has the ability to change form, he has three special forms. Each form has a charge level, it replenishes very slowly over time and can be filled by collecting power-ups or coming into contact with special objects. When in a special form the player's charge for that form will slowly drain and when its empty they revert to normal.

So I'm working on a HUD to go with this idea and I've been running into a few problems, as of right now I have a few basic ideas that I've mocked up and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on them:
*The top five blocks for each one is the health bar, it's not final though, I'm mainly focusing on the ability part of the HUD first.

Anyway, the way it'll work is the player will always have one form selected and they can cycle through the three with a key. The current charge for the form is represented by the boxes which are about 10 pixels high, so each line of pixels in the box is 10% of the maximum charge. What I want to do is be able to let the player see the charge level on all three forms at any time without getting the HUD too cluttered.

• Concept 'A': The active ability is in the front center, while the inactive ones are behind it and slightly smaller (and they would be slightly faded too, in-game), theres also a gauge to the right to show a more specific charge for the form, rather then using the box by itself.
  • Concept 'B': The main form is a regular size box with the inactive ones smaller and to the left, this one also includes the more detailed charge gauge.
  • Concept 'C': There are three normal 10x10 boxes for the forms, each actively displaying the forms charge level with the active form being highlighted and the inactive forms being faded.

I'm leaning towards 'C' but I wanted some opinions, so, let me know what you think of them or if I should go with something completely different.
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
Re: HUD Concepts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »
I would like to see a screenshot of the huds being used to give better c+c

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:39:08 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Well, the game itself is still pretty early on, but I could probably through something together. But at the moment everything (HUD included) would most likely be placeholder graphics.

I'm mainly trying to find the right layout for everything now though so I might end up changing the graphics later.
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:55:34 pm »
yeah, try to keep the hud for later on ; D  mostly until you have a screenshot or a mockup, that way you can test and test and test.. but if you start with the hud it will be hard tosee how it will work.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:50 am »
  • RyuKage2007
Good point, I was just kinda rushing ahead to the HUD cause I always have trouble at that point and I wanted it out of the way. I could probably use the third one just for simply testing until then and then come up with a better one a bit further into the game.

Does anyone have any suggestions for putting together a HUD for this type of game though? It'd be nice to know what other people look for in a HUD for a platform game.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 48 queries.